Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,385,093 times

Advertisements

The reason why Landlords don't rent to section 8 tenants is due to the last 2 comments. Completely uninteligible..who wants someone like that as a tenant? Not me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 10:42 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,090,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pissed off 06902 View Post
............. it doesn't matter how the rat got the cheese once he has it it's his.
Truer words have never been spoken !

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM

75 posts, read 120,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
Good point Seventh. In a perfect business world, it a great thing that the section 8 portion of the rent is never late and never bounces BUT the deal breaker are the quality of tenants section 8 has.

If section 8 had non-ghetto, non-criminal, non-drug dealers, non-mothers with 5 kids from different "baby daddies", then I'd be first in like to rent to a section 8 tenant. BUT as we all know...that's not the case.

Section 8 offers the low of the low. And for that I say...NO THANK YOU! I'll do just fine keep renting to regular working folks who know how to act like civilized people and don't look intimidating.
I am 51 widow with no children. I was laid off a good paying full time job 3 years ago and was only able to get a part-time job where I still work today. I am very respectable, meticulous, private and a good neighbor. Soon after I lost my job I applied and fortunately was accepted by the section 8 program. Luckily my landlord agreed to accept it and I did not have to move. My landlord did not accept section 8 until I came along so this was a learning process for him too but it has worked out nicely for both of us. In my 20's my husband and I owned a 3 family house until I sold it when he passed, and I rented to people who were so called "responsible" & had good incomes, they appeared to be the ideal tenants but some of them turned out to be nightmares, so regardless of section 8 or not there are "good" tenants and "bad tenants". There are many people like me who work hard but simply do not earn enough money to afford an apartment. Don't be so quick to discriminate against people because of section 8.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,258,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutbetty View Post
I am 51 widow with no children. I was laid off a good paying full time job 3 years ago and was only able to get a part-time job where I still work today. I am very respectable, meticulous, private and a good neighbor. Soon after I lost my job I applied and fortunately was accepted by the section 8 program. Luckily my landlord agreed to accept it and I did not have to move. My landlord did not accept section 8 until I came along so this was a learning process for him too but it has worked out nicely for both of us. In my 20's my husband and I owned a 3 family house until I sold it when he passed, and I rented to people who were so called "responsible" & had good incomes, they appeared to be the ideal tenants but some of them turned out to be nightmares, so regardless of section 8 or not there are "good" tenants and "bad tenants". There are many people like me who work hard but simply do not earn enough money to afford an apartment. Don't be so quick to discriminate against people because of section 8.
You are the exception, not the norm.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 PM

12 posts, read 15,481 times
Default Section 8 - accepting tenants

Quote:
Originally Posted by each one help one View Post
Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC? I know that a few still exists. Some had bad experiences but haven't we all? Please don't discriminate against Section 8 voucher holders. There remain many hard-working part-time workers looking for a decent place to live in NYC.

I want to hear from all compassionate landlords willing to try Section 8 as a mean to rent out their apartment to qualified hard-working people. Please reply
Call ASAP Property Management. they have most of their properties in Staten Island but some are scattered in Brooklyn on Fulton and I believe a few uptown in Manhattan.
866-309-0488

Old 10-18-2012, 11:06 PM

75 posts, read 120,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
You are the exception, not the norm.
So if I am the exception of a Section 8 tenant, than what would you call the tenants from hell that are not on section 8.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,772 times
I have tenants right now who does not have section 8 and they are the worst. I am still in court right now trying to get them out. Im saying this because it's not only people on section 8 who will tear up your property, but also people without. Everyone is different so it doesn't matter who you rent too.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:24 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneek709 View Post
I have tenants right now who does not have section 8 and they are the worst. I am still in court right now trying to get them out. Im saying this because it's not only people on section 8 who will tear up your property, but also people without. Everyone is different so it doesn't matter who you rent too.
Look up posts from SobroGuy and hilltopjay on how to choose tenants and how to prequalify them so you don't get stuck with deadbeats and duds next time. They really have good ideas on what to do. You need to choose wisely on who to let into your rentals in the first place so you don't end up with a mess like you have now. Good luck in the future!

Old 10-29-2013, 10:54 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,902,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
not all landlords are bad..most landlords are good IMO. .
This is not true, and you know it. If most landlords were good, then The Bronx wouldn't have the highest concentration of slumlords.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:52 AM

106,779 posts, read 108,997,702 times
it is hard enough not having tenants that cause you grief without dealing with the ones that are financial failures. the last thing i want to do is go looking for them.

no compassion here for those that can't deal with their own financial lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery