Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:22 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,257,880 times

Advertisements

Listen, the way to improve the Bronx is a 2 step process.

Step #1: Gradually start removing the undeclass demographic of the Bronx. I'm talking about the demographic that gives the Bronx its bad reputation. Apparently this is happening as the Bronx eviction rate is at an all-time high according to NYWriter.

Step #2: Have middle class folks move in and replace the underclass folks who were just evicted. Its the same concept that happened in the 60s and 70s when wealthy and middle class Grand Concourse residents fled to Coop City and the underclass folks were waiting in the wing ready to scoop up the vacant apartments on GC. Its the very same thing just the roles are reversed.

The idea is to diversify the income demographics in the Bronx. We need to pump more middle class folks to the Bronx to water down the low income demographic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,525 times
I know these post are from years ago but I have a comment. I am a section 8 voucher holder in desperate need of an apartment in Manhattan. I promise you that my husband and I are not the people you describe. He is a disabled veteran and I am a very hard working woman with no kids that is just trying to work and take care of my husband. We fell upon hard times recently but we are good educated people that have the utmost respect for others and their belongings. We would take care of an apartment because it is where we would live. Please give us a chance. Thanks

Old 12-02-2014, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 3,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorfox View Post
From experience, it is very hard to find a polite, well educated person on section 8. Many come from an underclass lifestyle that will "ghettofy" for building. I avoid them like the plague and I could care less how much their voucher is willing to pay me for rent.
I know these post are from years ago but I have a comment. I am a section 8 voucher holder in desperate need of an apartment in Manhattan. I promise you that my husband and I are not the people you describe. He is a disabled veteran and I am a very hard working woman with no kids that is just trying to work and take care of my husband. We fell upon hard times recently but we are good educated people that have the utmost respect for others and their belongings. We would take care of an apartment because it is where we would live. Please give us a chance. Thanks

Old 12-03-2014, 07:55 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemniv27 View Post
If he is a disabled veteran, that means you have an income so why do you need Section 8? Why not just move to a small town somewhere? You could get another job there, and he would still get his disability check that would go much further?

You are not going to get a new Section 8 apartment in Manhattan. I'm told that people on Section 8 often can't get new apartments in the South Bronx these days. You're going to have to go out to the bad parts of Brooklyn to easily find a welfare apartment these days, or you might try the North Bronx. Forget Western Brooklyn or Western Queens.

There is a small chance you could get an 80/20 apartment, but applying for them and waiting for that to go through could take years. Ditto moving into NYCHA.

Old 12-03-2014, 03:01 PM

624 posts, read 983,317 times
When I was using a management company to manage my rental in MD they tried to convince me to go section 8. Glad I didn't. The government also pays for the security deposit, meaning that the tenants have absolutely no incentive to not trash your apartment.

My father has an ex-con with one of those angle bracelets living next to him on section 8. Theres another section 8 house in the court where a few months ago the swat team busted open the door because they were selling drugs out of the house. The house has been vacant ever since and the door still has a huge dent in it. All of this is in an otherwise safe and decent suburban neighborhood.

Renting to section 8 tenants is too much risk. For every hard working person down on their luck trying to escape from poverty you have 100 more losers who do nothing to help themselves and only cause trouble. Nobody should ever rent section 8 unless you really don't care about your property getting destroyed. It's also infuriating how I have to work hard, save a downpayment, and buy a 3bdrm house at market rate when some loser from the hood can live in the same house only paying $200 / month.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:10 PM

11 posts, read 18,229 times

a single mother with two children (same father) on Section 8. I have a credit scores from 700 and upward, no prior evictions, educated and hardworking. While interacting with me, many people do not think I could or would be on a housing program. I work part time while attending college full time. I don't party, don't do drugs or drink. I rarely have guest over because of my lifestyle with school, work and my kids. When I do, it is maximum of three people and the people I hang with are classy and respectful folks. I don't associate myself with people who are going to bring drama or disturb my peace. DON'T PUT EVERYONE IN A BOX. Not everyone who receives Section 8 a "ghetto" "hood rat". Some of us, don't want to live off the system forever. Some of us, want to get off the program as soon as we can work our butt off out of our hardships.

I can empathize with a lot of landlords because I know the kind of people they are speaking of. Yes, I agree they mess it up for the others who don't act and behave like they do. I am thankful for my landlord and his wife; I have been living here for almost year and they are already encouraging me to renew my lease. They know and see that I am not your typical Section 8 Tenant. I bring them no problems. Please there are good Section 8 Tenants out there, you just got to weed them out.

See, the problem with many of these "hood rat/ghetto" tenants is they see Section 8 as an entitlement and not a humble opportunity. They don't appreciate nor do they understand how blessed they are to be able to have the kind of social services they receive in America.

Old 12-03-2014, 07:07 PM

624 posts, read 983,317 times
JMilR1100,

The problem as I stated earlier is that for every 1 of you there are 100 more ghetto losers that are a complete disaster as a tenant. The minority are hard working folks with integrity who had some misfortune and are working to get off the system and be self sufficient. The majority are useless human beings who just want to work the system and take advantage of the government programs which are designed to help people like yourself. They play victim every chance they get hoping for more free handouts. They have little to no incentive to work hard because if they start making enough money all of the free government benefits go away.

As a landlord I don't know of any method for reliably choosing the few good section 8 tenants out of the ocean of bad ones. Getting a good section 8 tenant can even be beneficial as they tend to move less and will probably continue renting your property for a long time. Helping someone out who deserves it is a good thing too. The risk however is just too high because its too easy to get a deadbeat. The consequences of having a bad tenant are astronomical. The whole landlord game depends more on the quality of your tenants then any other factor. Once you have a bad tenant, you will end up spending a lot more money solving problems then you could ever hope to collect in rent.

It's much more reliable to rent to market rate tenants with good credit / financials / etc.. Us landlords have families and bills to pay also.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
I have section for 22 years and never ever had a problem with any of my landlords. I live in a beautiful quiet neighborhood and my rent is paid on time I even have references letters from my landlords, So not all tenants are bad and every time i moved left the apartment spotless I work and also live with my 22 year old daughter we are very respectful because thats how our parent raised us, But don't understand for one person everybody pays it so sad.Also every time my landlord went on vacation i would take the garbage out , Rake leaves i like keeping were i live clean

Old 12-08-2014, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,007 times
I also work at a hospital many years and I am looking for a 1 bedroom apartment queens New York where i'm from. Please if you need reference letters i will send it to you. I Live in a studio i need bigger space.

Old 01-06-2015, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,435 times
Hello.
I am a section 8 tenant and I can agree with most posting,but there are some section 8 tenants that take care of the apartment,are working,and had morals. Speaking for myself as a section 8 tenant with a four bedroom voucher,my landlord has no problem with us. We do for ourselves when it comes to maintenance.The only time we see the landlord is when it is time for inspection. I have six children by the same man I been with for twenty years who works and I am in school.I have worked as a CNA before I made the decision to go back to school.My children are well behave and the landlord sees us as his best tenants. I am sorry that so many of yard had experience bad tenants through a great program for all low income residents of all colors.There are many out there who are trying to make a decent living and really need the support until.There are good neighborhoods with tenants on section 8, house rentals,and renting to own.Section 8 vouchers don't only reside in bad neighborhoods, they are all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery