Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen112685 View Post
I know I am late but I am a section 8 tenant! With 3 young boys that have the same father who is my legal husband! No drugs, criminal background, non ghetto, both raised in low income families but with some educational background! And we are hard working Puerto Ricans! So to put everyone straight, not all of us Section 8 holders are bad! I would pay any amount needed to show mine and my husbands clean backgrounds! But I guess that "ghetto" is just the nature in NYC.. Not to mention, my pervious landlord was an NYPD Officer and can always get a great recommendation from him!!!
Not all section 8 people are bad or ghetto but its the bad apples that ruin the bunch. And unfortunately there are more bad apples on section 8 than good people. I know first hand since I'm a landlord. One of my goals is to improve my Bronx neighborhood by renting to people that are aesthically pleasing to the eye. Clean cut, clean dress, white collar type people that don't look "gangster" or intimidating to others. Despite my building being in the "hood", I try my best to rent to non-hood people. Its hard but little by little I've been successful so far in contributing to the demographic and class change in my area. That means renting to white collar type people and saying NO to section 8 or other rent programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 07:04 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen112685 View Post
I know I am late but I am a section 8 tenant! With 3 young boys that have the same father who is my legal husband! No drugs, criminal background, non ghetto, both raised in low income families but with some educational background! And we are hard working Puerto Ricans! So to put everyone straight, not all of us Section 8 holders are bad! I would pay any amount needed to show mine and my husbands clean backgrounds! But I guess that "ghetto" is just the nature in NYC.. Not to mention, my pervious landlord was an NYPD Officer and can always get a great recommendation from him!!!
So what! What is so admirable about only paying 30% of your rent while the rest of us have to pay 100%? I despise your self entitled behavior.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Its hard but little by little I've been successful so far in contributing to the demographic and class change in my area.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
What's that look for? You prefer me rent to the same ghetto demographic that has plagued the Bronx for the past 50 years? Hell no! Time for a change and I'm doing my part to improve the Bronx within the power that I have. I should get a metal for this.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:50 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
I just don't think you are "contributing" that much to a class change in your area unless you happen to own a whole block of apartment buildings. But I agree you are doing you part with the tools that you have.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 03-16-2012 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM

109 posts, read 343,804 times
If they have good credit and no criminal background, should I rent to them?

I'm relatively new to the landlord thing and not very familiar with section 8.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I just don't think you are "contributing" that much to a class change in your area unless you happen to own a whole block of apartment buildings. But I agree you are doing you part with the tools that you have.
Thank you. I really do try my best. I even try to convince other landlords in my area to follow my lead. I try to educate them on how to screen tenants and what to look for. You'd be surprised that the majority of these landlords despite having several buildings, are clueless on how to screen for desirable tenants. They have a very lax policy or outsource it to a broker who doesn't do a thorough screening job so he can get paid his commission. All landlords in my opinion should have in house management and micro-manage their properties to ensure quality. The moment you let someone else do your job, the quality of tenants will suffer.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post

Think twice before renting to a section 8 tenant. You may get lucky and find a good, respectable, classy section 8 tenant that doesn't have anything ghetto about them. If you come across that person, then rent to them. If the section 8 tenant does not those characteristic I just mentioned then don't bother renting to them.

Also, insist on meeting every potential occupant that will be living in the property so you can size them up. Sometimes the lease-hold is nice but the occupants are ghetto street trash. A big no no!

Old 03-16-2012, 09:25 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
What's that look for? You prefer me rent to the same ghetto demographic that has plagued the Bronx for the past 50 years? Hell no! Time for a change and I'm doing my part to improve the Bronx within the power that I have. I should get a metal for this.
You should be the chairman of the community board and motivate others to fight for a better future for the Bronx.

Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny_queens_111 View Post

They are tough to screen because the problem usually lies with the tenant's children and boyfriend. Be discreet and learn about the Fair Housing Laws.Do not state "no section 8 or government programs" in your ad. Many of them are suing and are winning monetary awards for discrimination. Landlords that reside in the property are usually exempt. I guess the only way to legally discriminate is to impose a salary requirement when you place your ad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery