Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 06:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,260,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
They are tough to screen because the problem usually lies with the tenant's children and boyfriend. Be discreet and learn about the Fair Housing Laws.Do not state "no section 8 or government programs" in your ad. Many of them are suing and are winning monetary awards for discrimination. Landlords that reside in the property are usually exempt. I guess the only way to legally discriminate is to impose a salary requirement when you place your ad.
That's why income requirements such as the 40x the rent rule is so important, not only for detering low class Section 8 tenants from inquiring about your vacancy but also to establish financial stability with regular work folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,941,928 times
Common sense would seem to dictate: If someone is receiving Section 8 because they are involved in a profession that is undervalued, social work, teaching, etc., and struggling with a major student loan debt, they might also be a good tenant.

Is this even possible ? I am not familiar with the income guidelines.

On the other hand, while most of the Section 8 tenants I know in Central Harlem will tell you they are "out of work right now," this is merely a euphemism for "I have never had a job." I saw an interesting documentary about out-of-work men in Baltimore, what struck me was the absolute failure to have a command of the English language; the inappropriate clothing. One guy stated that he "had" (passive voice) a felony on his record - just like that ! As though it was not at all something HE had done, but something that had been visited on him, a victim. He failed to see that as a part of his history, something in which he was the primary agent. I found that attitude astonishing. In any case, such people would not make good tenants.

I agree that prospective landlords should meet everyone who will potentially reside in a given apartment, but I would add that the problem people will simply fail to produce everyone, simply moving them in after the fact. This is quite common, especially if there is a legal stricture against someone, usually the "boyfriend" or "father of my children." I have often seen this, in the projects it is quite common.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I agree that prospective landlords should meet everyone who will potentially reside in a given apartment, but I would add that the problem people will simply fail to produce everyone, simply moving them in after the fact. This is quite common, especially if there is a legal stricture against someone, usually the "boyfriend" or "father of my children." I have often seen this, in the projects it is quite common.
Yes of coarse, a tenant can be slick and sneak an undesirable person in the apartment but besides having to list all occupants on the application, when you meet the potential lease-holder in person, you ask specific questions and say it in a such a way (friendly way to gain their trust) to see if they tell you or you use other tactics or indirect questions to get a reaction from them. Its hard to explain but I've been doing this so long that its second nature to me. I've become a good judge of character and can tell right away what kind of cloth the person was cut from.

My main goal is to have the least amount of people in an apartment. The fewer the people, the less wear and tear and water consumption. I've been lucky enough to have the majority of my 2 and 3 bedroom apartments rented to either educated, white collar, roommates or a single person who uses the spare bedroom as an office or walk-in closet. It doesn't get more ideal than that. I don't have to worry about any kids running around making noise or over use of the apartment. And if any ghetto people attempt to inquire about one of my vacancies, they get the cold shoulder or I ask questions that I already know the answer to, so they can disqualify themselves because they don't meet our rental criteria.

Do you have a 650+ credit score?
Have you ever been arrested or have a criminal past?
Do you smoke cigarretts?
Do you have 3 months of rent saved in your bank account in case you get laid off or fired?

Most ghetto people DO NOT have good credit, have been arrested in the past, even minor stuff such as getting caught with weed, usually but not always smoke cigarettes, and NEVER have 3 months of rent save. DISQUALIFIED ON THE SPOT BEFORE I EVEN MEET THEM THOUGH USUALLY I CAN TELL THEY'RE GHETTO BY LISTENING TO THEIR VOICEMAIL OR READING THEIR EMAIL INQUIRE.

Last edited by hilltopjay; 03-17-2012 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,262,713 times
About smoking you can never be sure if you don't make continued inspections to the apt. I've had many landlords and I've fooled them all with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
I've smoked in all my apartments in the bathroom and also in my current altough the lease says no smoking allowed inside. You just have to clean the tar stains from the bathroom tiles (looks like brown rain drops) twice a year. No neighbor has ever complained about cigarette smoke coming to their apt so I guess the ventilation in the bathroom takes care of that problem. When I moved out from one of my previous apts the landlady said this apt looks so clean it's like no one has lived here.

Well, I know I'm not behaving ethically correct by breaking the lease rule but I smoke about 30 cigarettes per day if I wake up in the middle of the night I need a smoke if I go outside to smoke everytime it's going to create much more inconvenience for the neighbors.

Why not stop smoking? For me it's not possible. Well, anyways now it's time to visit the bathroom and lite up another one with my new Zippo brass lighter. Maybe the neighbors can hear the distinctive "click" sound from the lighter. Lol!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:12 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,494,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
That's why income requirements such as the 40x the rent rule is so important, not only for detering low class Section 8 tenants from inquiring about your vacancy but also to establish financial stability with regular work folks.
I agree. Unfortunately, we have a problem with greedy landlords looking to receive maximum reimbursement renting to them.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:22 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,494,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Yes of coarse, a tenant can be slick and sneak an undesirable person in the apartment but besides having to list all occupants on the application, when you meet the potential lease-holder in person, you ask specific questions and say it in a such a way (friendly way to gain their trust) to see if they tell you or you use other tactics or indirect questions to get a reaction from them. Its hard to explain but I've been doing this so long that its second nature to me. I've become a good judge of character and can tell right away what kind of cloth the person was cut from.

My main goal is to have the least amount of people in an apartment. The fewer the people, the less wear and tear and water consumption. I've been lucky enough to have the majority of my 2 and 3 bedroom apartments rented to either educated, white collar, roommates or a single person who uses the spare bedroom as an office or walk-in closet. It doesn't get more ideal than that. I don't have to worry about any kids running around making noise or over use of the apartment. And if any ghetto people attempt to inquire about one of my vacancies, they get the cold shoulder or I ask questions that I already know the answer to, so they can disqualify themselves because they don't meet our rental criteria.

Do you have a 650+ credit score?
Have you ever been arrested or have a criminal past?
Do you smoke cigarretts?
Do you have 3 months of rent saved in your bank account in case you get laid off or fired?

Most ghetto people DO NOT have good credit, have been arrested in the past, even minor stuff such as getting caught with weed, usually but not always smoke cigarettes, and NEVER have 3 months of rent save. DISQUALIFIED ON THE SPOT BEFORE I EVEN MEET THEM THOUGH USUALLY I CAN TELL THEY'RE GHETTO BY LISTENING TO THEIR VOICEMAIL OR READING THEIR EMAIL INQUIRE.
Do you include the 40x rule in your ad?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I agree. Unfortunately, we have a problem with greedy landlords looking to receive maximum reimbursement renting to them.
Renting to low class Section 8 people is more of a problem in lower market rent boroughs such as the Bronx. On average, a Bronx 1 bedroom market rate apartment goes for about $950-1,100 depending on the neighborhood. A 1 bedroom Section 8 voucher will pay up to $1,300 for that same apartment. In Manhattan, a 1 bedroom market rate apartment on average goes for about $2,500-$3,000 depending on the neighborhood. Since Section 8 will not pay beyond $1,300 for a 1 bedroom, Manhattan landlords are NOT financially enticed to rent to Section 8 tenants simply because Section 8 doesn't pay enough and the landlord can simply find a regular working person that is willing to pay that amount.

The Bronx on the other hand, being a lower rental market can not demand rents for a 1 bedroom apartment equal or above the Section 8 voucher limit to a regular working person because no one is willing to pay that amount. So Bronx landlords who don't care about the aesthetic and quality of the neighborhood and who are only about the bottomline, rent to these low lives of Section 8 simply because they get more rent for their apartments. Yes you get more rent but the trade off is you get ghetto, unruly people in your building who diminish the quality of life for other tenants and neighborhood. Once a trend like this occurs, neighborhoods decline and other buildings in the neighborhood follow suit and a new "hood" is created. This is why I am so against renting to Section 8 tenants or low income people. The neighborhood will suffer as a result.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,139,204 times
Quote:
Where are the good compassionate landlords in NYC?

Well, there's my morning belly laugh. THank you O/P.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:13 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,680,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Common sense would seem to dictate: If someone is receiving Section 8 because they are involved in a profession that is undervalued, social work, teaching, etc., and struggling with a major student loan debt, they might also be a good tenant.

Is this even possible ? I am not familiar with the income guidelines.

On the other hand, while most of the Section 8 tenants I know in Central Harlem will tell you they are "out of work right now," this is merely a euphemism for "I have never had a job." I saw an interesting documentary about out-of-work men in Baltimore, what struck me was the absolute failure to have a command of the English language; the inappropriate clothing. One guy stated that he "had" (passive voice) a felony on his record - just like that ! As though it was not at all something HE had done, but something that had been visited on him, a victim. He failed to see that as a part of his history, something in which he was the primary agent. I found that attitude astonishing. In any case, such people would not make good tenants.

What documentary is this? I'm curious.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Well, there's my morning belly laugh. THank you O/P.
You must of being screwed royally by your former landlords to have such a impression of them. They must of raped you lovely to have such hatred towards ALL landlords. Just hope they used KY jelly on you. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery