Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM

21 posts, read 111,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMisfit View Post
I'm still waiting to move into my apartment. Its been a month.
I wonder if there is a number where we can contact the manhattan borough waitlist. I have yet to check my status b/c the letter stated that the nxt step is them contacting me by mail to view an apartment. The regular contact center probably wouldnt have any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 07:36 AM

58 posts, read 280,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeB87 View Post
I wonder if there is a number where we can contact the manhattan borough waitlist. I have yet to check my status b/c the letter stated that the nxt step is them contacting me by mail to view an apartment. The regular contact center probably wouldnt have any information
@Jade... I've called tons of numbers and spoken to everyone... I am 100% sure it will do absolutely no good. Unless you know someone that works there nothing you can do will get you an apartment sooner. Never-the-less, stay positive because it will happen eventually. Keep us posted on your status and I'm here to help as well as receive help. Good Luck

Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustle View Post
@Jade... I've called tons of numbers and spoken to everyone... I am 100% sure it will do absolutely no good. Unless you know someone that works there nothing you can do will get you an apartment sooner. Never-the-less, stay positive because it will happen eventually. Keep us posted on your status and I'm here to help as well as receive help. Good Luck
Im sure it wouldnt make anything sooner i was JUST certified last month! .... I wanted to know if there was a
Manhattan borough number to call for status on their list etc.. The regula nycha contact wouldnt deal with my case since im done with app process and not on preliminary list with them. Goodluck to you too and thanks. I will call them to see what numbers they may have.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Im sure it wouldnt make anything sooner i was JUST certified last month! .... I wanted to know if there was a
Manhattan borough number to call for status on their list etc.. The regula nycha contact wouldnt deal with my case since im done with app process and not on preliminary list with them. Goodluck to you too and thanks. I will call them to see what numbers they may have.
@Jade I called the manhattan borough office but what they told me is that they only handle cases of individuals already living in manhattan. This same office also told me that if I do not get anything within 2 years I can the. Request a borough change or to be placed on a specific building instead of a borough wide waiting list. I then called the appeals unit and they told me that they only work with applicants who do not qualify or has been waiting for 2 or more years for an apartment. I was also given the address of a place in long island city, Queens to write to for specific position and details but I decided that it would be a waste because they could only tell me specific information on my status but not really help me get an apartment soon which is my goal... You can ask them for that address, I think if you write to them they may answer your question... Sorry I don't have the number I called but just ask for te manhattan borough office, the lic, queens Nycha unit address because the don't share their number publicly and be persistent because they'll give you the run around... Hope this helps and if you do find out any new info, please share

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyHustle View Post
@Jade I called the manhattan borough office but what they told me is that they only handle cases of individuals already living in manhattan. This same office also told me that if I do not get anything within 2 years I can the. Request a borough change or to be placed on a specific building instead of a borough wide waiting list. I then called the appeals unit and they told me that they only work with applicants who do not qualify or has been waiting for 2 or more years for an apartment. I was also given the address of a place in long island city, Queens to write to for specific position and details but I decided that it would be a waste because they could only tell me specific information on my status but not really help me get an apartment soon which is my goal... You can ask them for that address, I think if you write to them they may answer your question... Sorry I don't have the number I called but just ask for te manhattan borough office, the lic, queens Nycha unit address because the don't share their number publicly and be persistent because they'll give you the run around... Hope this helps and if you do find out any new info, please share
Okay, thanks alot i see what you are saying.. I just dont understand how some people in boroughlist waits for months while others wait over a year.. I thought the boroughlist were a lust of people waiting for already cacant apartent in oppose to anticipated ones...

Old 08-23-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Okay, thanks alot i see what you are saying.. I just dont understand how some people in boroughlist waits for months while others wait over a year.. I thought the boroughlist were a lust of people waiting for already cacant apartent in oppose to anticipated ones...
@Jade until they send you a letter or call and say come in its all anticipated... Circumstances differ that's why the difference in wait times as it was explained to me

Old 09-05-2012, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 40,783 times
Hi I'm a single parent to a 16month old boy, my priority is n1, im a v.o.d.v I was assign a case worker thru criminal court and they help me with any and everything I needed, not to mention they send a cab or suv to pick u up an bring u home..and they pay u $10 per person that's on the case for each day u visit, (cash on the spot) My case worker filled out my application and mailed it out herself on (April 15 2012) I received a priority letter attached with a pin number 3 months later (July 2012). A week past and my interview application arrive basically it's like the regular housing app but instead they want u to attach the documents to it an on the last page was my interview date, which is this this Friday (September 7th 2012) I've applied for nycha in staten island. Staten island waiting list is basically non existing because nobody wanna moved there when in all reality it's the best out of the 5 boroughs, crime rate is way lower an that's what matters most to me, the commute to the city is quick and cheap, the ferry is free and runs every 1/2 an hr. not to mention there schools are good too. And if anything after a year I can always transfer. I don't know how long my wait time will be to move in but I'm pretty sure it won't be long due to the location I choose.

Old 09-05-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justliveurlife View Post
Hi I'm a single parent to a 16month old boy, my priority is n1, im a v.o.d.v I was assign a case worker thru criminal court and they help me with any and everything I needed, not to mention they send a cab or suv to pick u up an bring u home..and they pay u $10 per person that's on the case for each day u visit, (cash on the spot) My case worker filled out my application and mailed it out herself on (April 15 2012) I received a priority letter attached with a pin number 3 months later (July 2012). A week past and my interview application arrive basically it's like the regular housing app but instead they want u to attach the documents to it an on the last page was my interview date, which is this this Friday (September 7th 2012) I've applied for nycha in staten island. Staten island waiting list is basically non existing because nobody wanna moved there when in all reality it's the best out of the 5 boroughs, crime rate is way lower an that's what matters most to me, the commute to the city is quick and cheap, the ferry is free and runs every 1/2 an hr. not to mention there schools are good too. And if anything after a year I can always transfer. I don't know how long my wait time will be to move in but I'm pretty sure it won't be long due to the location I choose.
@Justliveyoulife Good Luck!
@Tallmisfit Did you move in yet? And if yes, how is it?
@Jade Any new developments?

Old 09-05-2012, 02:22 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justliveurlife View Post
Whats a VOVD?

Who gives you $10 for doing nothing but showing up?

Who pays for your transportation and why?

Old 09-05-2012, 05:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,924,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Whats a VOVD?

Who gives you $10 for doing nothing but showing up?

Who pays for your transportation and why?
Victim of domestic violence.

The DA's office. Anyone who shows up to talk about or testify in a criminal case gets $10.

We do. We pay for both. In logic connected to the $10 - make it possible for people to help in criminal cases.

Good for her that she pressed charges and followed through. Many do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery