Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:38 AM

21 posts, read 88,210 times

Advertisements

Dude, what I would be "getting" would not be for next to nothing actually. And wanting all of the details and basic information about size, utilities, etc and wishing they would be provided up front is not bitching at all--I don't care what the situation is, whether I am "getting" an apartment for next to nothing or seeking one at market rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM

14 posts, read 48,361 times
Siempre123 is right, some of the top tier prices, while certainly a good deal, are not all that far below market rate. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy and it's great to have a rent stabilized apartment, but it it was odd that they had no floor plans to offer or full measurements to give. I did go back again to see the apartment before I signed my lease and made up my floor plan though and the agent was very happy to show it to me again. I also asked a lot of questions. I think you have to be your own advocate here.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:58 AM

Has anyone been asked to sign a lease for a unit in Gotham West without being able to see it in person first?
My unit is still under construction, so I have not been able to view it, but they want to me to sign off on it now...Is this a normal procedure? I'm personally quite uncomfortable with this set up...Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 28,076 times
Default signing before seeing

Quote:
Originally Posted by siempre123 View Post
Has anyone been asked to sign a lease for a unit in Gotham West without being able to see it in person first?
My unit is still under construction, so I have not been able to view it, but they want to me to sign off on it now...Is this a normal procedure? I'm personally quite uncomfortable with this set up...Any advice would be appreciated.
I signed my lease for 511 last week and will move in late October. While I didn't get to see the actual apartment because it's still being built, I got to see a similar unit in 530. The agent told me what the differences are between the 2 buildings (511 will have hardwood not parquet floors), and I also got a floor plan.

It's natural to want to see the actual unit before "signing your life away", but I think it's a measured risk taking into consideration visiting comparable units and seeing floorplans.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks for your response--it is good to know that other future neighbors are going through the same procedure.
I will actually be in 511 as well!
Are they nice spaces in your opinion, Hkny?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:53 PM

And by nice, I specifically mean are they relatively spacious?

Old 07-30-2013, 04:48 PM

11 posts, read 28,076 times
I've seen floor plans for studios that are around 450-500 square feet while 1brs are around 600 square feet. I haven't seen details for 2 and 3 brs.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:20 AM

20 posts, read 53,345 times
Has anyone, after the interview then signed paper work, and got approved by the developers, had to go again to sign any more paper work before the send out your case to the city HDP? If so, what was the paper work? Strange because I heard, plus everyone I see here approved by the developers get their application sent to HDP, and only have to go to sign the lease once HDP approves...

Old 08-03-2013, 08:51 AM

You just sign some release forms for the city that give them permission to look at your tax information during their approval process. The lease signing comes after the city approval.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 AM

86 posts, read 247,665 times
I applied for this lottery too and never expected to get any response but yesterday I got some paperwork in the mail asking me to provide employment verification, landlord verification, etc. They're asking for a $50 money order when I send in the paperwork which seems a little odd to me after reading this thread. I see that everyone here is saying that they needed to bring a $25 money order with them for the interview but my letter is asking for a $50 money order to be sent in with my initial paperwork. Was anyone else asked to do this??? My log # is 83XX so I don't think my chances are good but I may still give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery