Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:21 AM

41 posts, read 253,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
The majority of these apartments are not affordable. Some people will be paying 35% of their income. On top of that you'll have to pay for Electric. Not to mention the fact that you'll be paying more just to live in the neighborhood.
With these prices in manhattan in a good neighborhood that is affordable and electricity is only gonna be like $50 maybe more in summer time. It's still pretty good but from quickly analyzing the chart if you make less then you pay less up to the high income levels which will pay more for what you get and obviously will probably get a better apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM

345 posts, read 858,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC DUDE View Post
If you are making $72k a year then that is affordable. Plus its 4 brand new towers with lots of amenities so I think its a steal.
Not affordable, to afford $2042, you should be making at least $81,680. I understand this is NYC, but why should we have different standard than other cities.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM

I know NYC just wants to take as much money away from you as possible :\

Old 09-17-2012, 07:13 PM

10 posts, read 108,830 times
I just realized that I phrased my post in a strange way. Currently, I live in Inwood (last stop of the A train). I was wondering if they would take into consideration that I'm almost 20 years old and give us a 2 bedroom apartment if we get chosen because sharing a room with a parent while being in college is not an ideal situation.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marval15 View Post
I just realized that I phrased my post in a strange way. Currently, I live in Inwood (last stop of the A train). I was wondering if they would take into consideration that I'm almost 20 years old and give us a 2 bedroom apartment if we get chosen because sharing a room with a parent while being in college is not an ideal situation.
Oh you live in Inwood. I take back my 99% guarantee and drop it down to 50% chance since they want mostly who live within the area. Im not sure how much blocks within the radius of the new development maybe like 1-40 or so. Since 50% of applicants are chosen based on that and given priority and the rest of the 50% is scattered throughout because when they conduct home visits through private contractors they dont want it to be a long travel process. But if you do get chosen and you match the income limits, have a neat home, and a good log # then you would have a good chance. I'm still waiting for West 39th to finish completion by this month or October so I can move in .

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,063,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
THe income levels for affordable apartments are way out of whack. The levels should be spread out more.
I agree.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,936 times
I am a journalism fellow at Harvard's Safra Center for Ethics working on a yearlong project about affordable housing. I'm looking to speak with tenants going through the HPD application process, as well as those who have been successfully placed. If you're willing to talk with me, please shoot me an e-mail at zfox@ethics.harvard.edu

Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 7,263 times
hi

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM

10 posts, read 108,830 times
I've applied to over 6 lotteries and no luck. If we get selected, would my mom and I most likely get a 1 bedroom or a 2 bedroom apartment? I'm asking because my sister knows of someone who just got selected for a lottery apartment and they are going to get a 3 bedroom when all of the applicants are female. Is that even possible? It also annoys me because these women are perfectly healthy yet they do not work and are living off the welfare system. However, my mother works almost 50 hours a week and I am a full time student at NYU and also work over more than 10 hours weekly. We are trying to better ourselves and these people are getting apartments handed to them when they don't deserve them.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:31 AM

Since there is a good amount of affordable units for this development (more than I've ever seen before) you probably have a good chance. Its really all about luck so keep your hopes up. If you want to talk about specifics for your situation message me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery