Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 06:08 PM

272 posts, read 534,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Another dumb question... I only applied to the few lotteries a few weeks ago. When/where do you find out your log number?
So when they draw the log numbers they will put it right on that search page where you applied from over on the right side. Just know that this whole thing is a very long process.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,860,151 times
Thanks. Yup, I realize this is a crazy long process. I'm glad I am not locked into a lease, I can imagine how difficult it must be for people who are currently locked into leases.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:07 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,604,449 times
Honestly I was surprised there was a section on the application for the lotteries that asks if you are hearing impaired or vision impaired.
I don't think they ask about any other disability.
Why do they choose hearing- and vision-impaired to focus on?
What about mobility-impaired, or intellectually disabled?
I don't get it.

That being said, I did check the box for my husband because he IS hearing-impaired.
His hearing is not as good as other people's.

For the vast majority of his life he did not have a hearing aid (because he couldn't afford one, nor could his family), so he grew up with 25% of the hearing ability of the average person.
That means he heard - in school, at work, with peers, etc. - 25% as well as everyone else.
We can do the math: of course he missed out in many ways, and it affected him in his life chances.

Now with a hearing aid, he has better hearing in one ear (still quite sure it's not perfect, and not sure exactly how good it is). Still no hearing in the other ear.

If I had to guess I would say in general he has moderate hearing loss (not mild, and not severe or profound).

He has never applied for disability benefits because he always worked all his life (even as a child/young teen) and never sought any classification as "disabled".

So if that makes him not get a preference for the housing lottery, then so be it.

But the question they asked in the application was: "is anyone in the household hearing impaired?" (not "deaf", mind you, not "disabled") and the answer in our case is definitely yes.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:12 PM

"Why do they choose hearing- and vision-impaired to focus on?
What about mobility-impaired, or intellectually disabled?
I don't get it."

They went with the basics of what the ADA allows i'm assuming. It's understandable. I just hope I didn't f--- my chances up by checking off a box that I wasn't entitled to. Que sera, sera though, right?

Wish everyone in this thread lucky vibes forward (i'm not a God person, but I do believe in passing along the good vibes)

Old 05-24-2016, 07:13 PM

quote:
If I had to guess I would say in general he has moderate hearing loss (not mild, and not severe or profound).

If he has total loss of hearing in one ear, that is consider profound. Whether that means disabled, who knows. I've been wrestling with this issue since last year (applying to housing lotteries makes it crazier)

Old 05-24-2016, 07:18 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,604,449 times
Quote:
quote:

If he has total loss of hearing in one ear, that is consider profound.
Wow. I never thought of it that way...but maybe you're right.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:20 PM

quote:

I actually thought long and hard about this for a while and I bet it helps the elderly and vets. So that isn't a bad thing. Hearing aids are not cheap, nor is surgery. Unlike anyone can purchase a pair of glasses in their Rx off the internet. Do you think there is a number on the site that I can call and ask that my profile be altered to disenclude that part of my application? When I clicked on that button that said hearing impaired I did it with the best intentions and now I feel like ugh, don't want to ruin someone elses chances (OR MY OWN).

Old 05-24-2016, 07:49 PM

272 posts, read 534,644 times
Quote:
quote:

I actually thought long and hard about this for a while and I bet it helps the elderly and vets. So that isn't a bad thing. Hearing aids are not cheap, nor is surgery. Unlike anyone can purchase a pair of glasses in their Rx off the internet. Do you think there is a number on the site that I can call and ask that my profile be altered to disenclude that part of my application? When I clicked on that button that said hearing impaired I did it with the best intentions and now I feel like ugh, don't want to ruin someone elses chances (OR MY OWN).
I think you not being able to change it is kind of a head scratcher.
First: are you able to click on the button again to clear it?
Then:
Are you saving the profile afterwards?
--------------------------------------
As far as singling out hearing and vision impairments, that's 2% of the lotteries I've seen. there is another 5% for mobility impairments.
If you are going to focus on this then why aren't you concerned with the 50% for the local residents or the 5% for the municipal workers?

Old 05-25-2016, 07:37 AM

223 posts, read 256,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City_Dweller_007 View Post
When they say hearing impaired they mean someone who's hearing can not be corrected through conventional means.
Hearing impairment defines total loss of hearing or profound loss (even if hearing aids can be of use) once someone fits that criteria they're qualified for the hearing impaired preference (2%).

Old 06-04-2016, 07:26 AM

122 posts, read 329,165 times
Anyone get called yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.