Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2017, 05:52 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,871,342 times

Advertisements

They get 90,000 applications. They pull about 2,000 RANDOMLY. So even if you have a very log # it means **** if you didn't "win the lottery" to get originally pulled and your file scrutinized for further review. I think that is what confused me most. You can have a high log # and still get an apartment, as long as they don't run out of apartments in your income band, and you can still have a log number of #2 and not get initially picked because the original picking is random. I think that is all on the up and up, but I am starting to think that it gets shadier after that and where all the graft and corruption begins. Greased pockets, guaranteed votes, etc. you know the deal if you've lived in NYC long enough. This process blows. *unless you win of course!*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 06:23 PM

114 posts, read 180,501 times
I resubmitted after my "rejection" (I won't go into detail, but the stuff they rejected me for was beyond stupid), and they received it, but I expect absolutely nothing from this.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:24 PM

24 posts, read 39,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
^ not true at all. Your file could have fell into the abyss. You won't get the news until the mass email blasts go out before they select their favorites.
Can you cite an instance when someone's file completely disappeared after submitting initial documentation for the intake interview? I'm open to changing my opinion if so.

I've heard of missing documents and receiving rejections because of it, but overall they will send you a rejection letter when they no longer are considering you and the reason for their decision so you can appeal or they provide notification if you're on the waitlist. If you've never been contacted for the 1st intake interview, there is no guarantee you will be contacted at all.

If you're checking your email (all inboxes) and snail mail for notifications, and you've completed the first intake interview, it means you are still being considered for apartments and/or waitlist should they fill all of their slots before they get to you. That's my understanding.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:06 PM

30 posts, read 49,757 times
Default Newbie :) 535 Carlton Crew

Hi everyone,

I am so happy to discover this thread and I love the wealth of information (yes, I've read all of your post and I feel so relieved not to be in this alone).

Here's a little bit about me:
I was selected for 535 Carlton, log#5XXX, CB preference, band 3 income for studio/1bd, intake interview was the first week of November (first round of interviews from my understanding). I received a rejection letter for a missing document mid-January. I appealed immediately simultaneously submitting the document, was told I'd receive a response within 2-10 months, never heard a word until I received the same blast email last week placing me on the waiting list.

My concern is, why are first-wave-CB-applicants being placed on the waiting list. Why interview a number of applicants well over the amount of apartments available. From November 2016 to date, I've been waiting in pure agony checking my emails and mailbox daily for ANY updates. To be placed on the waiting JUST BEFORE the last stage of scheduling apartment viewings/HPD approval is so heartbreaking. I NEED this apartment because I have to move by the summer.

Do you guys think I still have a chance of making it in? I am so sad but oddly still hopeful.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers2017 View Post
Can you cite an instance when someone's file completely disappeared after submitting initial documentation for the intake interview? I'm open to changing my opinion if so.

I've heard of missing documents and receiving rejections because of it, but overall they will send you a rejection letter when they no longer are considering you and the reason for their decision so you can appeal or they provide notification if you're on the waitlist. If you've never been contacted for the 1st intake interview, there is no guarantee you will be contacted at all.

If you're checking your email (all inboxes) and snail mail for notifications, and you've completed the first intake interview, it means you are still being considered for apartments and/or waitlist should they fill all of their slots before they get to you. That's my understanding.
I was also selected for 505 St. Marks. After submitting my documents during the initial intake interview in November 2016... I never heard a word since; not even a rejection letter, email, nothing.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowanusdweller View Post
Nope not til Thurs.
Good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Nia View Post
Hi everyone,

I am so happy to discover this thread and I love the wealth of information (yes, I've read all of your post and I feel so relieved not to be in this alone).

Here's a little bit about me:
I was selected for 535 Carlton, log#5XXX, CB preference, band 3 income for studio/1bd, intake interview was the first week of November (first round of interviews from my understanding). I received a rejection letter for a missing document mid-January. I appealed immediately simultaneously submitting the document, was told I'd receive a response within 2-10 months, never heard a word until I received the same blast email last week placing me on the waiting list.

My concern is, why are first-wave-CB-applicants being placed on the waiting list. Why interview a number of applicants well over the amount of apartments available. From November 2016 to date, I've been waiting in pure agony checking my emails and mailbox daily for ANY updates. To be placed on the waiting JUST BEFORE the last stage of scheduling apartment viewings/HPD approval is so heartbreaking. I NEED this apartment because I have to move by the summer.

Do you guys think I still have a chance of making it in? I am so sad but oddly still hopeful.
But you did hear back from them, via an email blast. No it wasn't a phone call or letter through post mail, but you received notification. What I'm saying is within that window of time, you were being considered and then they made a decision based on what is available for your income band.

If you're a first wave CB applicant it doesn't mean you're guaranteed anything. Some people decline apartments, end up not qualifying, or not approved from the city, so maybe it's done this way to save them time from starting the process again from the beginning with a new batch of applicants. You're trying to get one apartment, they're trying to fill many. You can help yourself by not agonizing and focusing on other apartments/options too or else you will drive yourself crazy. It's not official until you move in. Therefore, the anxiety is not worth it. It's the only way to keep sane.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Nia View Post
I was also selected for 505 St. Marks. After submitting my documents during the initial intake interview in November 2016... I never heard a word since; not even a rejection letter, email, nothing.
It sounds like your application is still being considered.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowers2017 View Post
But you did hear back from them, via an email blast. No it wasn't a phone call or letter through post mail, but you received notification. What I'm saying is within that window of time, you were being considered and then they made a decision based on what is available for your income band.

If you're a first wave CB applicant it doesn't mean you're guaranteed anything. Some people decline apartments, end up not qualifying, or not approved from the city, so maybe it's done this way to save them time from starting the process again from the beginning with a new batch of applicants. You're trying to get one apartment, they're trying to fill many. You can help yourself by not agonizing and focusing on other apartments/options too or else you will drive yourself crazy. It's not official until you move in. Therefore, the anxiety is not worth it. It's the only way to keep sane.
Yes, I received the email blast placing me on the waiting list.

I know that nothing is guaranteed until move in. What I meant was, first round applicants, at this point, should either be still in consideration or rejected, then second round and so on. To place first round applicants on a waiting list, to me, means tons of excessive applicants with preference (since thats what first round was) were pulled with absolutely no correlation to the amount of available apartments.

For example, if there are 10 apartments available for a given bracket-- pull 10 applicants then an additional lets say 5-10 applicants for backup. Dont pull 100 back up applicants for merely 10 apartments is my point. Process those 15-20 applicants to the level of either approved or final rejection. And continue that process until the building is full. Dont blindsightedly pull a billion applicants knowing very well it is "excessive" to whats available even with consideration of applicants declining, rejected, etc.

And based on the previous post here...quite a few of us received that blast waiting list email and that of course doesnt even account for the tons of people not on this thread. There are sensible measures for things and then there are insensible measures so if this is what 535 Carlton did, then it was the latter. This creates a domino effect of wasted time and false hope because now, if first round applicants are on the waiting list, in respective brackets, then second round applicants, general pool, etc. All of those applicants, in respective their brackets, are placed on the waiting list too. This is EXACTLY what causes these lotteries to have backup waiting list for years, YEARS! The waiting list would be so long that management/the city would declare these buildings closed to new applicants because they have enough applicants on the waiting list to last years. I think THAT is insane.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 AM

But I certainly began looking else where. My agony is the same agony most applicants have waiting to hear back from these lotteries. We all know to apply to a lottery and forget about it type thing. But its the fact that its beyond that point of dismissal when you're actually selected and actually made it to the last stage. That to me is the difference. I actually wish I had a finalized rejection or was still in consideration--- not on a waiting list. It doesnt make sense. Not at this stage in the building lease up.

Hopefully, we get updates from someone being pulled on the waiting list for consideration again or anyone else who simply got through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery