Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 12:14 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,025,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415A View Post
I've been called for developments outside my CB twice--because I had incredibly low log numbers. Having CB preference is the best, and for developments with more than 100 subsidized units, you'll almost always get called if your income was within the guidelines on the application. I've been called with numbers as high as 80xxx-plus because I was in the CB, and the developments were huge. But you can get called for developments outside your CB if your number is low (ideally below 500--I know someone will chime in with a exception but...that's been my experience). And yes, the lotteries are discriminatory--it's the inevitable result of a ridiculous rigidity in this process. If you're not young, forget it. Someone with brains and who lives in the 21st century and is attuned with the way work has changed since the 1970s needs to take over those guidelines.
I have never had any type of preference except NYC preference, and I was called for quite a few lotteries. The key is a low log number of about under 3,000, and being at or over 120% AMI. I think that competition is a lot less for these bands.

They have removed CB preference for some luxury buildings, and for one particular development, my log number is 15,xxx. So I'm only guessing - based on past experience - that I'll be called for that one as well since CB preference is not considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 12:48 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
I am GLAD they are removing CB preference for one. For instance, the new HUGE tower going up in greenpoint waterfront on India street has CB with ONLY 60% AMI. and just that ONE CB. basically 100 guaranteed apartments to people with 60% AMI to people living in greenpoint, which is already crazy ass expensive. Most of those apartments are going to go to the current demographic of recent college grads who come from money (for the most part) but only make around 40K but paying out the wazoo for shared apartments. Why not split those units for other AMI's? Because it's a luxury building, and they are banking that the 60%'ers they let in are young privileged recent college grads and NOT lifer career people who maybe maxed out at 40K in their jobs. It's blatant yet very subtle age-discrimination (and other kinds of discrimination). but then you get all these new buildings in the bronx trying to lure people in to REALLY diversity the neighborhood. the whole thing seems blatantly socially engineered.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:40 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,073 times
It is. I hope someone eventually files a lawsuit. A class action. Until that happens, the discrimination won't end. It's subtle, but it's there. Why don't they just say "No old people need apply"? Oh, wait, that would be against the law.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:50 PM

Oh, I absolutely agree that 60% AMI is age discrimination. And the city has *no* excuse. In a recent court-ruling against the city regarding the FDNY hiring majority Whites, the FDNY/and city claimed that they had no idea the exam would score best amongst whites. The city lost the hearing when the U.S. Court of Appeals overturned a part of the judge’s ruling that held the city’s practices were intentionally discriminatory.

So whether the city wants to claim that it was only trying to provide tax breaks to 60% AMI, the truth is that people over a certain age are being pushed aside in favor for youngens.

Old 01-29-2018, 02:19 PM

965 posts, read 1,113,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Not 100% true. I was called for Hunters Point South Living (in LIC, Queens), for Steinway Estates (in Astoria), for Stuyvesant Houses (in Stuyvesant) and for KB25 (in Murray Hill), and I am nowhere near any of those communities.

Agreed. I only quoted you, Storm because I agreed, the rest of this post is just general talk and not directed at you specifically.

The key things are not only just your log number, but also the ratio of apartments that are available / leftover for your bracket.

You can have a CB preference with a log number of 500, but if there is only 1 apartment for your bracket (not that uncommon), your log number doesn't really hold much merit.

I was called for 605 West 42nd with a log of 12,862 (no pref) and Ashland with a log of 368 (also no pref). There's no *magic* number, but generally lower is better.

Having been through the process, location is also a factor, for a specific reason. Let's look at some of the higher end Manhattan neighborhoods. Most residents are not applying to these developments. So you can count them burning through CB like water and getting to general preferences pretty quick. Then on the lower end, it's the same deal, in reverse. LOADS of people in the area apply, but not many of them actually qualify. I won my unit in Mott Haven with a CB preference of 37XXX. Mind you, there was just 18 units in my bracket to fill, but they could barely fill by the time they got to my name. At the time of being called only Studio's were available, but a one-bedroom opened up two days later.

Now when you add these factors together your chances of winning, be it single, married, gay, black, whatever, significantly increase.

Then you have the people who just apply to everything even if they know they don't qualify. All this does is slow the process down substantially.

So all of the numbers can be threatening, but do realize your chances are higher than you think. People can get disqualified for the tiniest of things, so all I can suggest is just keep applying and keep a clean bill of health.

And by "clean bill of health." I'm talking footing bills, nights out, dining, etc for someone else and them paying you back. Technically this isn't extra *income*, but you will be scrutinized to the moon and back and possibly disqualified for something as *dumb* as that $20 dinner your friend said he was gonna pay you back for.

I know I wrote a lot, but I'm trying to instill hope for others who are still going through this bullsh*t process. It's not fun, but if you got your sh*t together and get called, just go for it. I could've been picky and turned down my offer. Sure, a new building in the hood is still the hood, but opportunities like this don't come often, generally speaking. Far from the worst decision I've ever made.

To everyone else still in the running, hang tight.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 AM

411 posts, read 228,155 times
Having just gone through the lottery process and getting an apartment, I can only chime in that everyone here has given real life facts.
If you apply to a small building with a low number of apartments it's hard.
If you apply to a bigger building but within the lower AMI's it's hard. The higher AMI's get easier. I think the days of 200 AMI's are gone. A 200 AMI apartment today does not have a whole lot of reward. But in 10 years, when everyone else's rent has gone up 10% or more, that individual will still be paying within $100 of the move in rent. That's the benefit.
You should only apply for buildings where you qualify financially or really know that in a few months you will qualify. Applying when you know you can't qualify mucks it up for everyone else.
I think the ageism comment seems true on the surface, but perhaps the true fact is that the close to retirement folks need to be working and be within the AMI which can be difficult.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:08 AM

34,043 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Everybody on here trying to analyze a scam

hahaha

Pure Comedy

Saturday Morning Live

SML

Pay the $5

Lottery MoD

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I am GLAD they are removing CB preference for one. For instance, the new HUGE tower going up in greenpoint waterfront on India street has CB with ONLY 60% AMI. and just that ONE CB. basically 100 guaranteed apartments to people with 60% AMI to people living in greenpoint, which is already crazy ass expensive. Most of those apartments are going to go to the current demographic of recent college grads who come from money (for the most part) but only make around 40K but paying out the wazoo for shared apartments. Why not split those units for other AMI's? Because it's a luxury building, and they are banking that the 60%'ers they let in are young privileged recent college grads and NOT lifer career people who maybe maxed out at 40K in their jobs. It's blatant yet very subtle age-discrimination (and other kinds of discrimination). but then you get all these new buildings in the bronx trying to lure people in to REALLY diversity the neighborhood. the whole thing seems blatantly socially engineered.
How can I forget to tell you... They have recently re-zoned Inwood, and they gave us community residents pamphlets on what exactly they're going to do. In brief, they will keep/ build affordable housing for CB12 preference (while the sneaks also start to build commercial and luxury towers over by 10th avenue - you know how that is - great views from uptown manhattan with views to downtown, but that's a different story). Affordable housing is 60% AMI - so anyone above that won't get a shot and CB preference is out the window even if you lived their your whole life. smh

Old 02-28-2018, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How can I forget to tell you... They have recently re-zoned Inwood, and they gave us community residents pamphlets on what exactly they're going to do. In brief, they will keep/ build affordable housing for CB12 preference (while the sneaks also start to build commercial and luxury towers over by 10th avenue - you know how that is - great views from uptown manhattan with views to downtown, but that's a different story). Affordable housing is 60% AMI - so anyone above that won't get a shot and CB preference is out the window even if you lived their your whole life. smh
I recently was called in by the KB25 housing lottery. I cant find anyone else on these threads who can share their KB25 experience but they just emailed asking for the usual documents (pay stubs, tax forms) and I havent heard anything at all even though they said they'd call me. And my log number is in the 7000s. I called today to ask for an update and of course they said there's no timeline and OF COURSE they call people in order. Why is everyone on these message boards saying people get called out of log number order? Lol.

Long story short, I dont expect to get a call back.

-Ms. 7000+

Old 03-20-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorkziti25 View Post
I recently was called in by the KB25 housing lottery. I cant find anyone else on these threads who can share their KB25 experience but they just emailed asking for the usual documents (pay stubs, tax forms) and I havent heard anything at all even though they said they'd call me. And my log number is in the 7000s. I called today to ask for an update and of course they said there's no timeline and OF COURSE they call people in order. Why is everyone on these message boards saying people get called out of log number order? Lol.

Long story short, I dont expect to get a call back.

-Ms. 7000+
KB25 was one of the lotteries I also won. The problem with KB25 is that they take forever to process your paperwork. When I won Steinway Estates, it was only a 4 month process.

Anyways, what happens with KB25 is that they email you to bring documents.
If they see that you qualify then they invite you to an interview.

The interview is to bring the same but updated information between the time that you brought in the documents and the day they call you for the interview. You also have to bring a check to pay for the background check.

If you pass the background check you continue the process, if you don't they email you a rejection letter.

If you pass the background check, they basically contact you for other missing information, for instance, like copies to your paypal or venmo accounts - little things they may see from your bank statements. They also contact the IRS. Your W2's better match your IRS forms.

They will contact your landlord as well.

After all that crap is done, they will call you to view one apartment. (I heard all the one bedrooms are gone, although there are still studios available).

Depending on your floor, there are small and huge studios.

The small studios - (which are the real studios) have the kitchen exposed.
The huge studios, which are in reality, "efficiency apartments" have separate kitchens and a large living area.

The one bedrooms and up are super huge and very comfortable. No questions need to be asked about those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery