Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:15 PM

151 posts, read 155,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Some developments WILL discriminate against you as a single person to fill a one bedroom *not sure about studios*. The kickbacks and tax abatements big developers get to fill as many people in as possible doesn't help our cause as single people. Oh hi, let's fill one person in this one bedroom, or two? Who do you think they can claim they helped find affordable housing? they double it. Like most things in life, the affordable housing program, totally discriminates against single people without kids. I've learned to accept it. They also figure two incomes are better than one in case of a job loss, even if it means one is a loser scrub to begin with.
Funny you say that because I'm going through that now. Let me preface this with I am very grateful for the opportunities I receive. I am in a studio apartment right now via lottery that I love. I always say to myself how I wish I lived in a one bedroom and I try to put it out in the universe. Lo and behold I got called in for another lottery, literally down the street, for either a studio or one bedroom apartment because I qualified for both. I told the lady when I went in that I am currently in a studio and do not want to move from one location to the next for the same space essentially. She understood and is currently trying to work with me now. Her reasoning for the studio assignment was because they try to reserve those bedrooms for more than one person. I totally understand that but if I qualify to pay for that apartment why shouldn't I want the one I actually want. I know there is still another phase after me and there are still one bedrooms available but I just really want a one bedroom. I'd forgo a lot of amenities here for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2018, 05:30 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,091,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enomis88 View Post
Funny you say that because I'm going through that now. Let me preface this with I am very grateful for the opportunities I receive. I am in a studio apartment right now via lottery that I love. I always say to myself how I wish I lived in a one bedroom and I try to put it out in the universe. Lo and behold I got called in for another lottery, literally down the street, for either a studio or one bedroom apartment because I qualified for both. I told the lady when I went in that I am currently in a studio and do not want to move from one location to the next for the same space essentially. She understood and is currently trying to work with me now. Her reasoning for the studio assignment was because they try to reserve those bedrooms for more than one person. I totally understand that but if I qualify to pay for that apartment why shouldn't I want the one I actually want. I know there is still another phase after me and there are still one bedrooms available but I just really want a one bedroom. I'd forgo a lot of amenities here for that.
Agreed. The best thing is to just make the money and get a market rate. But I agree 100% with you guys - the one bedrooms are usually reserved for couples.

Old 03-21-2018, 06:26 PM

4,803 posts, read 6,653,991 times
Seems to me that according to the Marketing Guidelines, the family (or single person) is entitled to pick which size unit they get if qualified for more than one size.

How do others here interpret this?

a. In keeping with the above guidance, to maximize the utilization of its affordable units (another point considered in HUD’s guidance) married or similarly committed couples are assumed to share one bedroom. Apart from that, however, if a family (i) qualifies as a household as defined in these Marketing Guidelines and (ii) qualifies by both number of persons and income for more than one unit size, then the family chooses the unit size.

http://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...g-handbook.pdf

Old 03-22-2018, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 6,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
KB25 was one of the lotteries I also won. The problem with KB25 is that they take forever to process your paperwork. When I won Steinway Estates, it was only a 4 month process.

Anyways, what happens with KB25 is that they email you to bring documents.
If they see that you qualify then they invite you to an interview.

The interview is to bring the same but updated information between the time that you brought in the documents and the day they call you for the interview. You also have to bring a check to pay for the background check.

If you pass the background check you continue the process, if you don't they email you a rejection letter.

If you pass the background check, they basically contact you for other missing information, for instance, like copies to your paypal or venmo accounts - little things they may see from your bank statements. They also contact the IRS. Your W2's better match your IRS forms.

They will contact your landlord as well.

After all that crap is done, they will call you to view one apartment. (I heard all the one bedrooms are gone, although there are still studios available).

Depending on your floor, there are small and huge studios.

The small studios - (which are the real studios) have the kitchen exposed.
The huge studios, which are in reality, "efficiency apartments" have separate kitchens and a large living area.

The one bedrooms and up are super huge and very comfortable. No questions need to be asked about those.
Wow... thanks for all that info. Hoping for the best!

Old 03-22-2018, 12:39 PM

220 posts, read 197,328 times
I guess I am really lucky. I am a single black male and I scored a 1 bedroom apt in a 80/20 building. I had no cb pref but I am hearing impaired which probably worked in my favor. Finally something good about being practically deaf :/

Old 03-22-2018, 01:01 PM

6,702 posts, read 6,091,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynpad View Post
I guess I am really lucky. I am a single black male and I scored a 1 bedroom apt in a 80/20 building. I had no cb pref but I am hearing impaired which probably worked in my favor. Finally something good about being practically deaf :/
That is *great!* (Not the part about being deaf but the part about getting the one bedroom). Getting a one bedroom is really hitting the lottery!

Old 03-22-2018, 01:19 PM

220 posts, read 197,328 times
Quote:
That is *great!* (Not the part about being deaf but the part about getting the one bedroom). Getting a one bedroom is really hitting the lottery!
Every day i come home i thank my lucky stars indeed. Extremely happy here and grateful.

Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,270,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynpad View Post
Every day i come home i thank my lucky stars indeed. Extremely happy here and grateful.
Nice score, congrats!

Old 03-23-2018, 12:57 PM

375 posts, read 325,273 times
Quote:
Getting a one bedroom is really hitting the lottery!
It really is! While I love my studio, a 1br would really be hitting the home run!

Old 03-28-2018, 02:13 PM

151 posts, read 155,325 times
Quote:
Agreed. The best thing is to just make the money and get a market rate. But I agree 100% with you guys - the one bedrooms are usually reserved for couples.

Update: they gave me what I wanted God/the universe is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery