Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,864,067 times

Advertisements

Some developments WILL discriminate against you as a single person to fill a one bedroom *not sure about studios*. The kickbacks and tax abatements big developers get to fill as many people in as possible doesn't help our cause as single people. Oh hi, let's fill one person in this one bedroom, or two? Who do you think they can claim they helped find affordable housing? they double it. Like most things in life, the affordable housing program, totally discriminates against single people without kids. I've learned to accept it. They also figure two incomes are better than one in case of a job loss, even if it means one is a loser scrub to begin with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Yes, for most of these lotteries, residents of New York City get priority for the initial lease-up.
What if I live in NY, but work in CT? Would I be considered a NY resident, or my job location wouldn’t matter, as long as I’m within the income requirements?

Old 01-13-2018, 04:27 PM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times
You are a N.Y. resident. It doesn’t matter where you work. Are you also in nyc?

Old 01-13-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
You are a N.Y. resident. It doesn’t matter where you work. Are you also in nyc?

Will be by the end of this month. Currently packing and cleaning as we speak ☺️

Old 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,257,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlneedsapt View Post
I'm in the same situation but feel like they will deny me since I'm currently living out of state
Why don't you concentrate on the state you live in and let the actual NY-ers get affordable housing.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Why don't you concentrate on the state you live in and let the actual NY-ers get affordable housing.

Housing in Oklahoma is probably already affordable 😂😂

Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
I did the same thing. What is the point of applying using numbers that don't meet the criteria. Some of these deals take years and the numbers you apply with are not considered in the least and/or are no longer pertinent.
So if you are likely putting down meaningless numbers, they might as well be GOOD ones.

It took me 17 years between applying and closing on a Mitchell Lama apartment. As you might imagine, there was a vast difference between my income AND the requirements between 1993 and 2010.

Old 01-17-2018, 07:15 PM

127 posts, read 216,499 times
DNAinfo did a story on housing lottery winners a few years ago and they found the odds usually favor single people:

City's Affordable Housing Lotteries Favor Young Single People, Stats Show

I think its just easier for singles because as long as your income falls in line, you have some type of preference and/or a decent log, you are good. I have found that those who do it as couples or families tend to have a harder time because there is so much paperwork to gather, and having two or more combined incomes can complicate things.

Old 01-18-2018, 07:46 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
If you have community board preference you are likely to WIN the housing lottery. Without it, you might as well buy Power Ball tickets.

Old 01-18-2018, 09:01 AM

6,697 posts, read 6,068,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
If you have community board preference you are likely to WIN the housing lottery. Without it, you might as well buy Power Ball tickets.
Not 100% true. I was called for Hunters Point South Living (in LIC, Queens), for Steinway Estates (in Astoria), for Stuyvesant Houses (in Stuyvesant) and for KB25 (in Murray Hill), and I am nowhere near any of those communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery