Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,783 times

Advertisements

I just spoke to the mayor on #askthemayor to tell him how stressful the housing lottery process has been. I put my life on hold for this lottery only to find I’ve been mysteriously placed on the waitlist. I don’t want to appeal because I don’t want to rock the boat. But if you’ve had similar stress please call the mayors office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 12:01 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bg71 View Post
I just spoke to the mayor on #askthemayor to tell him how stressful the housing lottery process has been. I put my life on hold for this lottery only to find I’ve been mysteriously placed on the waitlist. I don’t want to appeal because I don’t want to rock the boat. But if you’ve had similar stress please call the mayors office.
Gosh, that's awful, but good for you for calling the mayor's office.

If you don't mind our asking - you don't have to tell us for which development, but can you tell us what the details were - as in timeline, or if your credit was checked, if you were shown a unit, etc.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:21 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,461,784 times
There's so much more. The guidelines are inconsistently applied and don't keep pace with the way many people now earn their living nowadays, and end up being discriminatory. Supporting documents are often ignored. The rigidity excludes people who are clearly qualified. People are not told exactly why they're rejected in the vague sentences provided. I dont want to diminish anyone's stress (it gets to me too), but I think the stress is the least of it (it's a government program; it comes with stress), or it's all tied to the fact that the people tasked with administering this program have not been adequately trained (and I include HPD here too) and frequently don't know what they're doing. Can we call the mayor's office anytime about this, or is it only on certain days? Thanks for getting us all in on this. I guess my main point is that the main problem is inconsistency, incompetency and archaic, overly rigid guidelines that don't keep pace with the way many people work these days, which ends up excluding large swaths of people who are qualified and deserving.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
I hope the mayor would do something about this.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:52 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,853,768 times
OP.. I went through the same hell the last two years. It's not worth it at this point. My story has been on this site for a while so I won't go into details, but I am SO over it. And now that the city has decided they don't want any people who make over 60% AMI in these lotteries anymore my chances are so much slimmer. I've decided it's better to just focus on how I can increase my income now and do better and maybe get out of this city, it's hard though. Also, once you are on the waitlist, you can't really appeal for the most part. There's a lot of shade going on in this affordable housing program. It seems to have started out okay a few years ago, but now it's balls to the wall graft and it's SO OBVIOUS between the Mayor and the developers in his back pockets, predatory corporations financing these new buildings going up who are not interested whatsoever in affordability for the middle class and their welfare but more for the land they can acquire which they are betting on skyrocketing in the near future. 25 year tax abatements mean NOTHING to these vulture capitalists and the city and our mayor have decided to drop their drawers and bend over backwards for them.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:15 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I'd not have gotten fair treatment in my affordable housing search (Mitchell Lama) had it not been for the support of the City Council President's (Christine Quinn) office and her very helpful aide.
We were ultimately successful, if years too late, but it was one of the most stressful experiences of my life.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Don't get some of you people. Know plenty who apply or have applied for these lottery apartments (co-workers, friends, neighbors....); they submit their names and or paperwork then go on with their lives. If contacted they supply further information and or do what is requested then again get on with their lives.

Some of you should be stressed out; mostly because you obsess, stalk buildings, and otherwise become too emotionally vested in process that by nature is designed to be arbitrary.

Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,072,579 times
I feel the same about the regular lottery. I play a 2 dollar powerball every week and I still haven't gotten the 56 Million Dollar prize yet.

ITS SO UNFAIR and STRESSFUL

Who do I speak with?!

Old 12-02-2017, 03:12 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I feel the same about the regular lottery. I play a 2 dollar powerball every week and I still haven't gotten the 56 Million Dollar prize yet.

ITS SO UNFAIR and STRESSFUL

Who do I speak with?!

I just can't with you today!

Old 12-03-2017, 11:45 AM

615 posts, read 447,835 times
I want to get something for nothing...and it's so stressful...why aren't they nice to me...can someone help me waaaaaaaaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: