Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 22,740 times

Advertisements

The Via Verde project will be a milestone for Melrose and the South Bronx and an inspiration for the entire City. The start of construction is scheduled for this summer.

The project is located across Brook Ave. from the rear of the Staples store. The north border of the site is E 156th Street and the south is E 153rd Street.

CITY OF NEW YORK AND AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF ARCHITECTS ANNOUNCE WINNER OF FIRST JURIED COMPETITION FOR SUSTAINABLE AND AFFORDABLE HOUSING

www.aiany.org/NHNY/ViaVerde_Panel1.pdf

The stretch of Bronx along Brook Ave from E 149th to E 163rd includes vacant land, a park, ballfields, some housing, the old Borough Courthouse, and Melrose Town Center. The latter is a 4.5-acre site that is currently under construction and will contain a college, over 700 apartments, 40,000 sf of retail space, and a pedestrian-only street (E 162).

There may be opportunities for expanding the environmentally progressive concepts being incorporated into Via Verde. That expansion can be both technical and geographic. The most immediate opportunity is the Bronx Borough Courthouse located on Third Avenue and E. 161st Street. That building will become the Bronx Academy of Promise, a charter school to be administered by the Urban Youth Alliance International (UYAI).

Next week, I will meet with Reverend Wendy Calderon Payne of the UYAI to discuss the integration of energy generating and conservation systems into the school building. We will tour the Via Verde site, the link along Brook Avenue, and the school. She is very interested in exploring the potential integration of education, environment, and energy (the "3Es") and how these aspects connect the school to Via Verde.

There are numerous energy generation and energy conservation systems that could be incorporated into the school building during its renovation.

The highly visible triangular area of land along Third Avenue at the front of the school building could be used to generate energy and make a strong envirionmental statement with vertical-axis wind turbines mounted on sculptural towers of varying heights.

The front of the building could also contain a well-head for an underground vertical geothermal loop system.

A gas-fired micro-turbine installed in the basement (in place of a standard boiler) can provide all the heating and has the ability to generate electricity. Micro turbines are very efficient fuel users.

Shade panels located near the roof garden and green roof can be covered with electric generating solar arrays.

Finally, the entire renovation should be built out to a high level LEED standard.

Ideally, an exhibition space in the lobby area would demonstrate the systems working in real time. The Bronx Academy of Promise can be a working showcase for these emerging technologies where both students and the visiting public can learn and be encouraged. Moreover, the Academy, along with Via Verde, can be the genesis of an "Urban Green Corridor" that addresses the global problems associated with carbon-based fuel, deforestation, urban pollution, and specific environmental issues that affect the South Bronx.

If you have additional or alternative ideas for establishing a connection between Via Verde and the school (and beyond into the Melrose Town Center project), please let me know.

Jack in the Bronx
Attached Thumbnails
Beyond Via Verde - A Green Center for the South Bronx-viaverde2-big.jpg   Beyond Via Verde - A Green Center for the South Bronx-viaverde-big.jpg  

Last edited by Jack in the Bronx; 03-20-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,444,545 times
I thought this thread deserved a bump as this development is progressing along rapidly...

Old 07-15-2011, 12:11 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,389,726 times
Indeed..and the shell is already up, and the facade and windows are going in. This is a pretty awesome development, and I tried to apply but I was outside the income restrictions. The income limits go as high as $160,000...so I encourage people to check them out.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:34 PM

Default Via Verde

Looking very impressive..
Attached Thumbnails
Beyond Via Verde - A Green Center for the South Bronx-5958862515_8263c05acc_b.jpg   Beyond Via Verde - A Green Center for the South Bronx-5959424862_581e1f70b8_b.jpg   Beyond Via Verde - A Green Center for the South Bronx-5959424776_ecc006fbf5_b.jpg  

Old 07-22-2011, 07:16 AM

These are great pics...I have been watching this development, and the just as impressive St. Anns Terrace across the street. Can't wait for these to be open....pretty amazing. The neighborhood is really changing drastically.

St. Ann's Terrace Apartments

Old 07-23-2011, 01:36 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,070,140 times
I need to build up my credit score to move into one of these properties.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Yes you do...because credit plays an important role in the process. The city is really cherry picking who they allow into these brand new buildings, so unless you have everything in order, you will be denied. And since there is so much demand, the criteria is strict.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:31 AM

What is the credit score a person has to have these days before a bank even considers you for a loan, I've heard it's 675, but not sure. Also don't forget you'll need to save up enough to cover for down payment and closing costs.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 71,101 times
My application was selected from the lottery to come in for an interview for one of the Co-ops! Getting my paperwork together now....the interview is in a few weeks.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:35 PM

80 posts, read 174,677 times
A green, dense Bronx served well by transit (subway) will be key to this area's revitalization.

Via Verde was a great project and I hope there are many more like it planned. What is the status on St. Ann's Terrace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery