Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM

73 posts, read 75,080 times

Advertisements

You’re welcome, hopefully we can be neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 06:34 PM

6 posts, read 7,611 times
I want to clarify something:

1. When I went for my interview, the person processing my application did not take the money order. He said *if* they decide to process my paperwork, then they will ask for the money order.
However, the checklist had the money order listed and I produced it but he rejected it.
Is that how it was done for you?

2. For the viewing of the apartment, did you get both an email notification and a phone call?
Like the other people mentioned on this forum, I ignore what I think may be marketing calls.
If you only got a phone call to view the apartment, I guess we should all be vigilant of every incoming call.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,738,515 times
Sounds really nice, Npena.

cher_achel, they took my money order.

Do you people not have voice mail?

Old 11-17-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Sounds really nice, Npena.

cher_achel, they took my money order.

Do you people not have voice mail?

Yes, I do have voicemail but I am concerned maybe they won't even bother leaving a message.

About the money order, it seems to me that they are not following the expected protocol in my case and I fear that they will just trash my paperwork.
The front desk person at C&C did give me a receipt for the money order but the person who interviewed me gave the money order back to me saying that they do not need it now.
I am going to call them to check if I can submit the money order again.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher_achel View Post
Yes, I do have voicemail but I am concerned maybe they won't even bother leaving a message.

About the money order, it seems to me that they are not following the expected protocol in my case and I fear that they will just trash my paperwork.
The front desk person at C&C did give me a receipt for the money order but the person who interviewed me gave the money order back to me saying that they do not need it now.
You're getting anxious about insane things. You need to keep in mind: you aren't getting the apartment. That is the baseline default and that is how you should think from the moment you submit for the lottery right up to the point you sign the lease. Go through the process, follow through on the steps, don't accept it if they make a dumb decision like an unjustified rejection (or break the rules), but don't work yourself up about ridiculous things. You aren't getting the apartment.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:56 PM

115 posts, read 138,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cher_achel View Post

They didn’t take my money order either. They probably didn’t take your money order because there are several people ahead of you for your apartment size/income. If they may not get to you in the list, it’s no use having your money order just sit there and then they have to mail it back to you. Easier to have you mail it to them if they do get to you on the list.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
You're getting anxious about insane things. You need to keep in mind: you aren't getting the apartment. That is the baseline default and that is how you should think from the moment you submit for the lottery right up to the point you sign the lease. Go through the process, follow through on the steps, don't accept it if they make a dumb decision like an unjustified rejection (or break the rules), but don't work yourself up about ridiculous things. You aren't getting the apartment.

Good advice. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlc2222 View Post
They didn’t take my money order either. They probably didn’t take your money order because there are several people ahead of you for your apartment size/income. If they may not get to you in the list, it’s no use having your money order just sit there and then they have to mail it back to you. Easier to have you mail it to them if they do get to you on the list.
Honestly, that's my guess, too, but the agents are often so not good at their jobs that it's best not to tie yourself into knots trying to guess what they're up to as if it were based on logic or trying to do their job well.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 AM

115 posts, read 138,725 times
Quote:
Honestly, that's my guess, too, but the agents are often so not good at their jobs that it's best not to tie yourself into knots trying to guess what they're up to as if it were based on logic or trying to do their job well.
True. I’m not sure if that’s the case for everyone, but in my case I’m not guessing. She explained to me exactly why she wasn’t taking my money order and I could mail it later if necessary.

Old 11-18-2018, 01:30 PM

Well, then, that's the reason! You didn't mention that part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery