Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 07:21 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Thanks! I’m around number 200 on the 2019 one-bedroom list, so based on what you’re saying, which I agree with, it sounds like a long wait. Good luck to those ahead of me!
Right. But, how many numbers are missing between 27 and 200?
Maybe as when the pandemic wanes folks will move out, particularly if they have become partially or entirely remote workers.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach1234 View Post
From their website:

As of December 2021, for a two bedroom apartment we are currently up to log number 473 (on the 2010 waiting list).
It seems as if the previous log # was 411.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:08 PM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Zach1234, can you please post a link to the website you're using? Thanks!

Old 01-06-2022, 07:14 PM

40 posts, read 58,718 times
Wait List — CADMAN TOWERS INC.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:40 PM

Thank you, Zach!

Old 01-07-2022, 07:31 AM

The Mitchell-Lama Connect (City) waitlist page for Cadman Towers is not entirely updated, it is my observation.

For one bed neither the date nor the log# have been updated. It still has log# 572 from the previous lottery with a January 2020 date. For two bed, the date was updated to late Dec 2021 BUT the log# was not changed. It still says 411. This does not correspond with Cadman’s own page. Oh well.

I don’t think this is crime or even neglect. There are more important things to spend public money on, and many moving parts here. It not like it’s a snow storm warning, pandemic update, or subway delay/shut down report.

I can’t guess well how the process works. Besides, it’s more important to get people into units and all that involves than to update a scorecard for the anxious including me. Maybe they don’t make complete updates until people actually move in with confirmation feedback by the building. And it’s hardly necessary they make update super fast because those near the head of the line should know already. Just speculation on my part.

On the Cadman Towers side of things, it seems like Cadman is keeping in touch with wait list people who are getting near to making the next steps of paperwork, viewing and such. And they did update their own page. Good work.

( How many tens of thousands $ a year should the City spend maintaining a general wait list scoreboard, up to date and accurate to what tolerances for the public on the web? Compared to, What are the obligations of individual buildings to do outreach to the limited population of people within reasonable reach of being called for a unit in that individual building? )

Still, I am itching to view the wait list posted on the wall at Cadman Towers. I suppose it has been updated by now They are the only building I am aware of that posts info this way, it’s more than what I would expect. I learned about it from their web page. Perhaps the tenants association or such like made this policy or maybe many buildings do it this way but don’t mention it on the web.

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...ml#ml-waitlist

Old 01-07-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I don’t think this is crime or even neglect. There are more important things to spend public money on, and many moving parts here. It not like it’s a snow storm warning, pandemic update, or subway delay/shut down report.
Well, it could be indication of both crime and neglect. The reason the city and state want this "master" file of searchable wait lists is because there were so many MLs engaging in hanky-panky: skipping people on the list and saying they were "unreachable," putting friends and family members into apartments, allowing family members to "inherit" apartments unlawfully, etc.

Cadman was one of them.

The supposition was to shine a bright light on the wait lists so that people would know they had been skipped, etc. And for that reason, I think the individual developments and the city/state need to make more of an effort to have accessible, accurate info posted, and not have to travel to the ML and look at a paper list posted on a bulletin board in the laundry room (although I did make that pilgrimage to Cadman! ).

And I do recommend paying a visit to Cadman and chatting with the doormen, looking around the lobbies, taking a photo of the posted wait list, checking out the neighborhood and transportation options, having a gander at the residents, etc.

My impression: Those are the ugliest buildings you can possibly imagine in one of the prettiest neighborhoods in NYC. Thank God the historic district was established before more of the area was leveled.

And for people who are on waiting lists not covered by the link that WildAboutHarry posted, here's the link to the New York State-regulated MLs.

https://apps.hcr.ny.gov/AutomatedWai...eWaitlist.aspx

Last edited by macnyc2003; 01-07-2022 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-07-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Well, it could be indication of both crime and neglect. The reason the city and state want this "master" file of searchable wait lists is because there were so many MLs engaging in hanky-panky: skipping people on the list and saying they were "unreachable," putting friends and family members into apartments, allowing family members to "inherit" apartments unlawfully, etc.

Cadman was one of them.
]
Yes, thank you for mentioning this. I was aware already. It’s good for other eyes to see it.

Note that not all MLs participate on the page. Certainly, State administrated MLs don’t, they have a different page. I am at all certain why others don’t show on the page. Penn South seems to be in a different category. Is Manhattan Plaza also?

The question for me is, What is reasonable time for updates to post online from the City side once they are certain the info they get from buildings is accurate? 30 days, 90, 120? At some point intime neglect does become an issue, I agree.

I suggest that updates don’t not need to be anywhere near as quick as train or flight status boards. We get accustomed to fast updates on the web from advertising supported pages and from for profit companies. There is no pay wall and the costs are spread around. For the City to match this speed, accuracy, and style, means more public money for that effort than something more humble. Of course, I don’t deny my own desire to be updated in real time with no cost to me, but that is a wish not a demand.

(I agree the style of Cadman is not popular these days. I do find parts of the plan good. The pedestrian bridge links the building and keeps tall truck traffic away. I suppose Pineapple walk (no motor vehicles) might have been part of the plan. The non residential uses are good, also the gardens some units have and the common open spaces (not for the public) a few floors above street level are good ideas.)

Old 01-09-2022, 03:45 PM

42 posts, read 64,787 times
I went to 10 Clinton today and took a picture of the 1 bedroom list. The cadman website also updated to log #27, I’m sure there’s just a lag for ml connect to update what cadman has sent them. The door lady was pretty nice btw. I know the buildings aren’t the prettiest but it’s Brooklyn heights and basically dumbo is a short walk; I know people who pay 6k/month rents in dumbo. We can purchase this apartment for ~40-60k and then just pay ~600–900/month to live in one of the most coveted places in the country. I can overlook the exterior of the building and just renovate my space to look beautiful. My log # is in the 50’s and getting excited the list looks like it’s finally moving, I think covid delayed a lot of the movement.

Old 01-09-2022, 04:02 PM

It’s definitely a great deal, and when you’re inside the building, you don’t have to look at the outside.

About the list you took a photo of: Are the numbers in order, with none skipped? I’m thinking of people who had a number but didn’t return an application. I’m in the low 200s and I’m trying to see if there are really that many people in front of me. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery