Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 05:11 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
NYC law forces landlords to accept section-8 vouchers but the law is hard to enforce. There are federal court cases in other cities with similar laws. How can you force a landlord to take part in a voluntary federal program? You can't and that's why I think NYC's law will be struck down.
People who get busted for not accepting vouchers or whatever are same eegits who get caught doing other sorts of housing discrimination. Usually it is because they run their mouths and upfront state "we don't take vouchers....". Well in New York and some other areas you might as well be saying "we don't rent to blacks, gays" or any other protected class.

OTOH those who know how to go about *discrimination* have their act together which is why the thing in all forms still goes on today.

There are plenty of rental apartments in NYC (including Manhattan) often at or below market that general public will never know exist. LL's don't list publicly but rather use whisper listings and or market things through trusted brokers who know what they want.

Before people starting buying row houses to convert them back into private homes those buildings often held plenty of RS apartments that never went on open market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2019, 06:36 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfkit View Post
Are there any landlords accepting of section 8 anymore? My mother and I are in desperate need to get out of our current unhealthy living situation, and we’ve had our HUD voucher for more than a year now with absolutely no luck. We nearly lost it, and were lucky enough to get a few more months to find an apt but no matter who I call, where I look I cannot find a single person willing to accept section 8. What saddens me the most is reading what people assume about those who have a voucher. No, we won’t “ghettofy” your building, no we are not looking to milk the government of assistance. We aren’t loud, ghetto or messy. We are simply in need of a better living situation. I’ve lived in nyc my entire life and it seems like the city gives no sh*ts about anyone who is from here. they want all the $$ from people who are moving here from different states who make 80x the rent. My thing is If both my mother and I earn income and will be able to pay the rent/utilities on time monthly with our voucher, why would every landlord rather shoo us away and wait months until someone wealthier rents it. I know some landlords have had bad experiences with tenants who have section 8, but not all people are the same. I’m starting to wonder why section 8 exists when no one will even accept it? I am feeling hopeless because I’ve tried nearly every apartment website possible for new york, I’ve sent so many emails and texts, I’ve called so many landlords, realtors and its all the same thing. I’ve tried GoSection8, i’ve applied to EVERY building on the housing lottery, I’ve contacted NYCHA. I just don’t know what to do anymore and If we lose our voucher we are screwed.
Sorry to rant but If anyone knows a landlord accepting of section 8 please reply. We currently have a 2 bedroom voucher of $1959 and we both earn income
Please don’t discriminate

Excerpt:
I’ve lived in nyc my entire life and it seems like the city gives no sh*ts about anyone who is from here.
If they didn't you would not see a dime.

Excerpt:
If both my mother and I earn income and will be able to pay the rent/utilities on time monthly with our voucher,
why would every landlord rather shoo us away and wait months until someone wealthier rents it.
Please listen to what you are saying.................

Opinion: Sorry..........In your position I would kiss the ground if anybody helped me at a time in need.
Please change your thinking and better things will come your way.............
Best wishes.

Last edited by Mr.Retired; 10-15-2019 at 06:57 PM..

Old 10-15-2019, 06:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 1,523,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
NYC has very generous safety nets for renters, far more than other places. If anything it's these programs that are inflating the rents in the first place.
yup, when the govt guarantees things, market forces will drive the prices up. that's just the way it is and stoopid politicians either don't understand or don't care.

i've had a bad experience with section 8 and a nightmare trying to evict... place was trashed and I had to spend 10s of thousands to rehab, and he squatted for 8 months without paying rent. never again.

Old 10-15-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
yup, when the govt guarantees things, market forces will drive the prices up. that's just the way it is and stoopid politicians either don't understand or don't care.

i've had a bad experience with section 8 and a nightmare trying to evict... place was trashed and I had to spend 10s of thousands to rehab, and he squatted for 8 months without paying rent. never again.
Opinion:
As a former Landlord I was offered multiple opportunities to earn up to $4,000 plus a month.
Until New York City backs the Landlord the answer will always be NO THANKS..............

Old 10-15-2019, 07:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,684,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pureistheword View Post
I am in Chicago now. We do not have any such regulations but its more affordable for sure (I live in a nice neighborhood and pay 1300 for a 2BR fully updated with in unit laundry and shared deck and yard. A pre war 1BR by me might be 950-975)

This is interesting. Can you show us some examples of a pre-war 1 bedroom in a nice neighborhood? I love Chicago and wouldn't mind moving there.

Old 10-15-2019, 08:51 PM

804 posts, read 545,277 times
Here is the deal. You need to pay the market rate and then apply for section 8 when you can. This is reserved for people in public assistance, elderly who have been living in a place for a long time, disabled, and ex-military. The thing is that once you get it you can keep it.

So you are paying $3000 ( which is relatively low ) and then you apply. Or it comes around and you apply. Also your not going to just waltz into a place because many housing only have a certain amount of spaces ( enforced by the city ). They do not want anybody inside the building itself because they can be biased. Honestly the residence are not so clean as well.

Your talking about housing markets. They have tons of housing options. Where they will place you randomly to ones that will take advantage of you.

lets say your into housing and pay only $800. It is a new place to live and the low side is $4000. Your not going to be using a Voucher for section 8 anytime soon in any building.

Most of the time they will lie and will not inform you. You have to have a lot of charisma or find a nice person who actually knows what they are talking about. For that you might actually have to go through public assistance ( just search ) and find people to talk with. Otherwise somebody in that building has to know.

I know an entire building who staff was fired ( an entirely staff ) because they are starting to "Get too friendly with the residence" ( like a real community ). This is a family building where rent could be $5000 ( at retarded high rates ).

Old 10-16-2019, 05:25 AM

650 posts, read 2,517,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
This is interesting. Can you show us some examples of a pre-war 1 bedroom in a nice neighborhood? I love Chicago and wouldn't mind moving there.
Here are a few near me. I lived in NYC almost all my life but will only return to visit
https://www.domu.com/chicago/northwe...ago-il-60641-1
https://www.domu.com/chicago/northwe...icago-il-60641
https://www.domu.com/chicago/far-nor...icago-il-60625

Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 AM

Opinion:
There are over 2,500 building run by NYCHA in need of $32 billion dollars in repair.
The Mayor has promised $4 Billion for fiscal 2019 thru 2023. When you include cost of living
his own team admits they will be $300 million in the whole just for this one undertaking.
Tell me .....where is that money going to come from? ( sarcasm ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: