Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,490 times

Advertisements

Are there any landlords accepting of section 8 anymore? My mother and I are in desperate need to get out of our current unhealthy living situation, and we’ve had our HUD voucher for more than a year now with absolutely no luck. We nearly lost it, and were lucky enough to get a few more months to find an apt but no matter who I call, where I look I cannot find a single person willing to accept section 8. What saddens me the most is reading what people assume about those who have a voucher. No, we won’t “ghettofy” your building, no we are not looking to milk the government of assistance. We aren’t loud, ghetto or messy. We are simply in need of a better living situation. I’ve lived in nyc my entire life and it seems like the city gives no sh*ts about anyone who is from here. they want all the $$ from people who are moving here from different states who make 80x the rent. My thing is If both my mother and I earn income and will be able to pay the rent/utilities on time monthly with our voucher, why would every landlord rather shoo us away and wait months until someone wealthier rents it. I know some landlords have had bad experiences with tenants who have section 8, but not all people are the same. I’m starting to wonder why section 8 exists when no one will even accept it? I am feeling hopeless because I’ve tried nearly every apartment website possible for new york, I’ve sent so many emails and texts, I’ve called so many landlords, realtors and its all the same thing. I’ve tried GoSection8, i’ve applied to EVERY building on the housing lottery, I’ve contacted NYCHA. I just don’t know what to do anymore and If we lose our voucher we are screwed.
Sorry to rant but If anyone knows a landlord accepting of section 8 please reply. We currently have a 2 bedroom voucher of $1959 and we both earn income
Please don’t discriminate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 09:44 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,279,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfkit View Post
Are there any landlords accepting of section 8 anymore? My mother and I are in desperate need to get out of our current unhealthy living situation, and we’ve had our HUD voucher for more than a year now with absolutely no luck. We nearly lost it, and were lucky enough to get a few more months to find an apt but no matter who I call, where I look I cannot find a single person willing to accept section 8. What saddens me the most is reading what people assume about those who have a voucher. No, we won’t “ghettofy” your building, no we are not looking to milk the government of assistance. We aren’t loud, ghetto or messy. We are simply in need of a better living situation. I’ve lived in nyc my entire life and it seems like the city gives no sh*ts about anyone who is from here. they want all the $$ from people who are moving here from different states who make 80x the rent. My thing is If both my mother and I earn income and will be able to pay the rent/utilities on time monthly with our voucher, why would every landlord rather shoo us away and wait months until someone wealthier rents it. I know some landlords have had bad experiences with tenants who have section 8, but not all people are the same. I’m starting to wonder why section 8 exists when no one will even accept it? I am feeling hopeless because I’ve tried nearly every apartment website possible for new york, I’ve sent so many emails and texts, I’ve called so many landlords, realtors and its all the same thing. I’ve tried GoSection8, i’ve applied to EVERY building on the housing lottery, I’ve contacted NYCHA. I just don’t know what to do anymore and If we lose our voucher we are screwed.
Sorry to rant but If anyone knows a landlord accepting of section 8 please reply. We currently have a 2 bedroom voucher of $1959 and we both earn income
You just answered your own question... I can tell you right now that as someone who is pays market rate (and always has), I don't want to live with people on programs. Don't mean to offend you, but as you said some of them cause problems. That is really one of the main reasons I am moving quickly to buy, preferably in a co-op where there is more control to screen tenants. With all of these mixed housing arrangements, there is no way I'm paying a high rent to deal with people who don't work trying to tear down the building and destroy my quality of life. That said, why should any landlord accept someone with a voucher when they can get more having someone that can pay market rate rent? It's all about making a profit. Landlords aren't here to run charities.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:00 AM

444 posts, read 387,002 times
Quote:
When you tried GoSection8 what happened? Do Landlords say they no longer took section 8, didn't have apartments available?
Have you tried speaking to the HUD office about how Landlords aren't taking the voucher? I get they don't have to but if they don't then the program is useless. The waitlist is currently closed. For what reason if no Landlords are accepting the voucher?
Where are you currently living? Area, borough?
I have no experience with section 8 personally but I hate how NYer's suffer trying get a roof over their heads.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
When you tried GoSection8 what happened? Do Landlords say they no longer took section 8, didn't have apartments available?
Have you tried speaking to the HUD office about how Landlords aren't taking the voucher? I get they don't have to but if they don't then the program is useless. The waitlist is currently closed. For what reason if no Landlords are accepting the voucher?
Where are you currently living? Area, borough?
I have no experience with section 8 personally but I hate how NYer's suffer trying get a roof over their heads.
NYC has very generous safety nets for renters, far more than other places. If anything it's these programs that are inflating the rents in the first place.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
NYC has very generous safety nets for renters, far more than other places. If anything it's these programs that are inflating the rents in the first place.
Usually I agree with what you say but this time it isn't so black and white. We have no idea what cause this person to be on section 8. They both work. Having had a job and being home taking care of my baby and losing said job. My husband and I were so back on bills I looked into section 8 because I wanted to see what our options were. I can see how one would go on section 8 if it was a means to an end.
Do you know how hard it is to look for an apartment while working?

No...what inflating rent is the idea that this city is the grand Mecca it once was when it isn't. Everyone wants to live here. For what to be a Stepford Originator. Landlords and developers have fed on that. Growing up no one wanted to live to live across the street from a projects unless they had to. Now those same apartments can go for $2600 to $3K for a one bedroom.

Low income didn't inflate NYC...NYC's ego did that.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Usually I agree with what you say but this time it isn't so black and white. We have no idea what cause this person to be on section 8. They both work. Having had a job and being home taking care of my baby and losing said job. My husband and I were so back on bills I looked into section 8 because I wanted to see what our options were. I can see how one would go on section 8 if it was a means to an end.
Do you know how hard it is to look for an apartment while working?

No...what inflating rent is the idea that this city is the grand Mecca it once was when it isn't. Everyone wants to live here. For what to be a Stepford Originator. Landlords and developers have fed on that. Growing up no one wanted to live to live across the street from a projects unless they had to. Now those same apartments can go for $2600 to $3K for a one bedroom.

Low income didn't inflate NYC...NYC's ego did that.
I was referring to the program in general, and what I said is true. NYC has some of the most friendliest laws in place to help renters. Additionally, those vouchers are indeed inflating the rents. When you have vouchers going for what they are, it inflates market rate rents to be high, even in the worst neighborhoods.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Best thing to do is talk to a RE broker. They will know, and if you pay them a fee, they will help you more.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I was referring to the program in general, and what I said is true. NYC has some of the most friendliest laws in place to help renters. Additionally, those vouchers are indeed inflating the rents. When you have vouchers going for what they are, it inflates market rate rents to be high, even in the worst neighborhoods.
Like I said I agree with a lot of what you say...NYC is a pro renter city. But how did the market decide x amount in rent even in the worst neighborhoods. Who gets it to that level? The dishwasher that lives with his whole family...or the Landlord that sees this and realizes there can be money made if he just tweaks it a bit. He cleans up the apartment, enough to make it new.

The next time Landlord goes to rent an apartment he rents it to a bevy of roommates, wanting their 1st place. Hiking the rent up,charge double what he charged the dishwasher.

bamfkit...still hoping to hear back from you. I sent messages to some realtors I know asking if they know of any listings that took Section 8.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:23 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Like I said I agree with a lot of what you say...NYC is a pro renter city. But how did the market decide x amount in rent even in the worst neighborhoods. Who gets it to that level? The dishwasher that lives with his whole family...or the Landlord that sees this and realizes there can be money made if he just tweaks it a bit. He cleans up the apartment, enough to make it new.

The next time Landlord goes to rent an apartment he rents it to a bevy of roommates, wanting their 1st place. Hiking the rent up,charge double what he charged the dishwasher.

bamfkit...still hoping to hear back from you. I sent messages to some realtors I know asking if they know of any listings that took Section 8.
It's called, "The invisible hand" like Adam Smith wrote in "Wealth of the Nations"

The market basically corrects itself if the government doesn't interfere.

The more demand there is for a product the higher the prices.

The more demand for your skill, the higher your pay.

So lets say that I asked you to help me clean my house and I'll pay you $100. But the government steps in and says, "NO, you must pay them $200 instead." I will say, "Oh hell no, I'll clean it myself"

It's the same with these apartments. Unfortunately, yes, everyone wants to move here, and well, if they can, landlords want to charge exactly what the property is worth (meaning what people are willing to pay for them), but the government keeps stepping in and saying, "No, you must charge X money instead"

So now landlords will keep out of these programs and build luxury housing that caters to luxury renters instead because who wants to stay stuck with property that will never make profits?

At the same time, if everyone refused to pay a specific price on an apartment before they move in, then landlords will have no choice but to lower rents - without government interference.

Old 10-11-2019, 12:30 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Try Craigslist

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: