Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 08:18 AM

35 posts, read 75,430 times

Advertisements

Thanks hkcg

Getting a new computer number changes your order on which you were originally picked in the lottery ?

With this new computer number you are able now to follow your status online?

Thanks

E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:32 AM

233 posts, read 403,208 times
Hi E,

No, it doesn't change the order in which you were picked. If you were picked as number 123 in the 2014 lottery, you may be number 456 on the wait list because of the people ahead of you from the previous lotteries. Someone posted on the Click Your Block Penn South forum that they were asked to look at an apt. immediately and they were in the 2014 lottery. However, this person had a very low number on the 1 bedroom apt. list.

The wait list is updated quarterly on the official Penn South website, but you should also be getting a letter in the mail.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:09 AM

154 posts, read 287,526 times
I got mine too, though it appears it's still not searchable online on the penn south site. I'm number 526 for a 2-bedroom at the moment. Thinking it will be ten years (at least) after all, but hoping for sooner. My guess is the 2-bed apartments move more slowly than the 1-beds. Good luck, everyone.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:07 PM

Thanks a lot. Understood. I ll look forward for my letter in the mail.

I also saw the posting on the shorter wait on the 1 bedrooms.

Best luck and short wait to everyone.

E.

Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 AM

I just checked the Wait List inquiry form on Penn South's website, and there is a number posted. It is updated quarterly, so the number won't change until around the end of March I guess.

If anyone gets called to look at apts., let us know what they're like! I am also curious about the time line of when you get called to when you move in.

Happy Holidays to all!

Old 12-19-2014, 08:44 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
I just checked the Wait List inquiry form on Penn South's website, and there is a number posted. It is updated quarterly, so the number won't change until around the end of March I guess.

If anyone gets called to look at apts., let us know what they're like! I am also curious about the time line of when you get called to when you move in.

Happy Holidays to all!
I live in Penn South and the apartments generally are quite spacious by today's standards in NYC. My one bedroom is the size of many two bedrooms in the neighborhood--easy. It depends upon the "line" you get though and there are small variances between them.

The finishes are basic but functional. The floors are a 1960's parquet wood tile which the coop restores/buffs before you move in (except the kitchen). My apartment was delivered *without* a kitchen floor covering (just bare concrete and glue) so I had a contractor install a floor there. I believe if the coop thinks your kitchen floor is too worn or ugly they rip it out before the new tenant moves in. I saw remnants of aged linoleum on my kitchen floor so I'm glad they did that in my case--saved me the trouble.

The standard kitchen counters are formica with a single sink. My apartment came without a refrigerator and stove so I had to buy those--I'm not sure if all apartments do. The standard bathroom is light grey and black tile, white bathtub, hanging sink, white toilet and a medicine cabinet.

One thing to keep in mind though is that since its a coop apartment its yours to renovate as you wish. If the previous tenant made changes you might have very different finishes than what I have described. You can change all the surfaces, tear down the wall between the kitchen and living room etc. However, any renovations you do *don't* add to the equity you would get back if you move--so I wouldn't spend a whole lot unless you plan to spend your life there.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:26 AM

Default Thanks hkcg

Thanks hkcg for keeping us on the loop

I don't have access to the wait list. I haven't receive yet my new computer number.

Does the status for the 1 bedrooms on this report coincide with the comment left on click your block... ? meaning are they now in the mid 20's ?

Thanks

E

Old 12-20-2014, 08:25 AM

Barkomatic,

Thank you so much for posting the description of your apartment; it is incredibly helpful!

Do you mind if I ask what wait list you were on and how long it took to get an apt? I know that there are only about 250 studios, so my wait may be long, but I'm still curious. Also, do you know how long you have to wait before you can get on an internal list for a 1 bedroom (I think I saw 3 years on the other forum).

Thanks again - I love it that you can renovate your apt. to suit your needs. I imagine that the apts. range from looking like 1962 time capsules to completely renovated and distinctly different.

hkcg

Old 12-20-2014, 08:29 AM

Hi E,

I don't have access to the list obviously, but I am looking at the posts and it looks like they have called at least one person with a low number on the 2014 list.

Good luck! Let us know if you get called!

hkcg

Old 12-20-2014, 10:10 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,266,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Barkomatic,

Thank you so much for posting the description of your apartment; it is incredibly helpful!

Do you mind if I ask what wait list you were on and how long it took to get an apt? I know that there are only about 250 studios, so my wait may be long, but I'm still curious. Also, do you know how long you have to wait before you can get on an internal list for a 1 bedroom (I think I saw 3 years on the other forum).

Thanks again - I love it that you can renovate your apt. to suit your needs. I imagine that the apts. range from looking like 1962 time capsules to completely renovated and distinctly different.

hkcg
I got on the 1 bedroom with balcony wait list in 2003 and got contacted in 2010. At the time, the administrator I worked with was surprised about my "short" wait. Others have waited 15-20 years from what I have heard but I think that might be for the larger apartments -- 2 or 3 bedrooms. I don't think the waits for studios/one bedrooms will be as long this time. Prices are higher now. You need a down payment and qualify for a mortgage--and many aren't ready when contacted.

You have to wait 3 years before getting on the internal list for another unit.

Some units are indeed time capsules--there are apartments with all their original appliances/fixtures (which I think is neat) while others have been renovated to look like they belong in a Trump building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery