Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2019, 05:47 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,694,138 times

Advertisements

Is the stove gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2019, 05:57 PM

483 posts, read 693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Hi All,

I looked at 4 more studios about 2 weeks ago. I do not expect to get one this time around, but I am getting closer, so I have a few more questions.

Meow mentioned a 3 month time limit to move in. I'm assuming that you are paying maintenance/mortgage during that time whether you move in or not.

Who installs the stove? PS super?
Who installs the floor if needed? ( I'm guessing that the buyer pays for it)
Where did you get your appliances? What size are they?
What moving company did you use if you used one and do you recommend them?

Thanks!

hkcg
(1) Yes to the maintenance and mortgage going forward with $$ immediately, even if you haven't moved in. You will sign your occupancy agreement, etc. before you move, and a date will be fixed within it for you to be taking possession. So yes, you could be paying mortgage and maintenance on an empty apartment; but I do not recommend it for obvious reasons.

(2) Yes, maintenance will come by and connect your stove to the gas line - I think I had to call and make an appointment for a time slot. I also add, I am pretty sure it is specified that you cannot have electric burners because of the drain on the electricity. The stove can, of course, have partial electric functions; just not 100% electric.

(3) Yes, Buyer does pay to install the floor. I toured one-bedrooms only, so I can't say what they did in studios, without much of a line of demarcation between rooms; you may discover a surprise studio or portion of one where nobody ripped up the floors. I discovered a couple surprise 1-bdr. kitchens where they hadn't ripped up the kitchen floor. I myself had to floor the kitchen and a couple closets. Warning: based upon my experience, this can be a pain requiring hours of research, if you go about it the wrong way. Local artisan boutique types, the place where I started, will consider it beneath their notice, due to size/cost/etc. Home Depot refused to do it altogether, because they said my kitchen floor was too uneven/deeply angled, and would require some kind of nightmarish costly prep work. Lowes ignored my phone call; granted, this was before they had the Lowes in Chelsea, and I was appealing to the people in Jersey; so YMMV there. I wound up going with a suggestion I got from someone in the maintenance office.

(4) I echo my fellow cooperators; your appliances will be small. I myself got a small stove and the second smallest refrigerator I could find, partly because I also had to fit it under a cabinet edge. I used AJ Madison.

(5) I can't remember whom I used for movers, but I add as a cautionary tale, around 3:30 in the afternoon or so, the management office sent a security guard upstairs to tell me that we had to be finished with my move before 5 (maybe 5:30) PM, which meant we really had to hustle. I did make the deadline, but I was told that if I hadn't made the deadline, my only option would have been to have the movers turn around and head back to their home base with the remainder of my stuff still in the truck (!!), and come back the next day. You'll also have to put down a $500 (refundable) deposit, to make sure your movers don't rough up the elevator.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:19 PM

5 posts, read 4,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgslot View Post
i viewed apartment on tuesday,gonna sign lease next tuesday for a one bedroom .apartment is kinda small ,nice stainless steel apliances, and dish washer that i would probably never use. built in ac and heater.my log number was in the low 2000's and im a cb member.i have pics ,but dont think i can upload on this site
Congratulations. Did you have submits any more documents after being called to view the apartment ?

Old 07-25-2019, 06:28 PM

52 posts, read 51,844 times
Sounds beautiful! Can you email them? Lol ylomax92@gmail.com. Enjoy your new place hopefully I’m next. It would be great if we could all be more engaged in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgslot View Post
i viewed apartment on tuesday,gonna sign lease next tuesday for a one bedroom .apartment is kinda small ,nice stainless steel apliances, and dish washer that i would probably never use. built in ac and heater.my log number was in the low 2000's and im a cb member.i have pics ,but dont think i can upload on this site

Old 07-25-2019, 07:13 PM

21 posts, read 29,139 times
I'm scheduled to close soon, and want to take the opportunity to urge everyone who has viewed an apartment to start gathering their paperwork, even if you think you won't get in at this round! My meeting to establish eligibility was scheduled on short notice due to my going out of town for a while, and fortunately I had started the process a few weeks earlier. One of the documents needed is a transcript of your federal income tax, which you should be able to download online from the IRS. When I tried to sign up, however, I wasn't able to receive my verification code via text, so I had to wait for it by mail. The certified NYS income tax is sent via mail as well, and takes a full month. Carmen told me not having the certified forms won't hold up the closing as a photocopy will suffice at the eligibility meeting, but I would feel better to have all my documents in at the time of closing if possible.

I have a question for those who have already moved in. The move-in rules state that a security deposit is not necessary for moving in certain items. Do you still need to arrange for the padding in the elevator though, and get permission? The items listed include a mattress and a tv. And what if you have several boxes you can pile onto a dolly or luggage rack? I'm just wondering if I can move several items myself in a few trips.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 PM

54 posts, read 75,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldylve273 View Post
Signed my lease today...recieved my keys aswell after signing...the building is amazing and im already moving in
Congratulations 🎊Would you mind sharing your log number with us ?

Old 07-26-2019, 03:34 AM

10 posts, read 10,179 times
Quote:
Signed my lease today...recieved my keys aswell after signing...the building is amazing and im already moving in
Congratulations

Old 07-26-2019, 03:37 AM

10 posts, read 10,179 times
Quote:
If u don’t mind me asking how long were u waiting for approvals

Old 07-26-2019, 06:44 AM

233 posts, read 403,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
That's great news. When I got in, I didn't expect to that round (I was 7th in line for 3 apartments, IIRC).

- Someone from Penn South has to install the stove.

- I think anyone can install floors, but you might have to get approval from Penn South if you hire someone (our kitchen already had a tile floor so we didn't need to do anything). Penn South will not do it for you.

- We got our appliances at the PC Richards on 23rd. My only regret about going there was the upsell on the warranties, which probably weren't necessary. The fridge is 21 cu ft/32.8" wide, which is a little too big for the kitchen, but we wanted a lot of fridge space. It also only barely fit through the front door, and that was with the fridge door removed - definitely measure carefully when you get yours. The stove is a 30" fridgidaire model. It sits opposite the counter and cabinets and while the door opens with plenty of clearance, we don't have enough room to comfortably stand between the counter and stove when it is open (but it is enough space to step through if you have to).

- We hired a guy on TaskRabbit and a UHaul for the move, which worked out fine for us.

Good luck!
Thanks, Incog79! I'm going to check out some refrigerators today. I'm also going to look at full size mattresses vs. queen. A full is about 6 inches less wide and 5 inches less long than a queen, so I don't know how much difference it makes, but I'm going to check some out.

The apartments I've seen so far are in the E line and 1 in the D line. The 21st floor E line is considered 2 rooms, and it is definitely smaller than the other E line studios.

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2019, 06:55 AM

233 posts, read 403,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
(1) Yes to the maintenance and mortgage going forward with $$ immediately, even if you haven't moved in. You will sign your occupancy agreement, etc. before you move, and a date will be fixed within it for you to be taking possession. So yes, you could be paying mortgage and maintenance on an empty apartment; but I do not recommend it for obvious reasons.

(2) Yes, maintenance will come by and connect your stove to the gas line - I think I had to call and make an appointment for a time slot. I also add, I am pretty sure it is specified that you cannot have electric burners because of the drain on the electricity. The stove can, of course, have partial electric functions; just not 100% electric.

(3) Yes, Buyer does pay to install the floor. I toured one-bedrooms only, so I can't say what they did in studios, without much of a line of demarcation between rooms; you may discover a surprise studio or portion of one where nobody ripped up the floors. I discovered a couple surprise 1-bdr. kitchens where they hadn't ripped up the kitchen floor. I myself had to floor the kitchen and a couple closets. Warning: based upon my experience, this can be a pain requiring hours of research, if you go about it the wrong way. Local artisan boutique types, the place where I started, will consider it beneath their notice, due to size/cost/etc. Home Depot refused to do it altogether, because they said my kitchen floor was too uneven/deeply angled, and would require some kind of nightmarish costly prep work. Lowes ignored my phone call; granted, this was before they had the Lowes in Chelsea, and I was appealing to the people in Jersey; so YMMV there. I wound up going with a suggestion I got from someone in the maintenance office.

(4) I echo my fellow cooperators; your appliances will be small. I myself got a small stove and the second smallest refrigerator I could find, partly because I also had to fit it under a cabinet edge. I used AJ Madison.

(5) I can't remember whom I used for movers, but I add as a cautionary tale, around 3:30 in the afternoon or so, the management office sent a security guard upstairs to tell me that we had to be finished with my move before 5 (maybe 5:30) PM, which meant we really had to hustle. I did make the deadline, but I was told that if I hadn't made the deadline, my only option would have been to have the movers turn around and head back to their home base with the remainder of my stuff still in the truck (!!), and come back the next day. You'll also have to put down a $500 (refundable) deposit, to make sure your movers don't rough up the elevator.
Thanks, misskittytalks! I will probably not go too crazy with the floor expense because I hope to move to a 1 bedroom in 3 years. This is very helpful, especially about the moving time limits! I'll schedule it for the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery