Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2019, 02:05 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
What's the reason the administrator doesn't want an affordable housing subforum, if I may ask? It's such a simple thing to do.
I wasn’t a moderator then so I don’t know specifically, but they aren’t adding subforums any more.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:15 AM

233 posts, read 403,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetBrooklyn View Post
Hi HKCG: Thank you for checking in with this thread even though you've moved in! I just joined this forum a week ago after finding out that my name was picked. I read all 130 some pages the day I joined and felt like I went on a ride with many of the 2014 winners, especially you! You shared so much helpful information and support for others. I was so happy when I read the message that you had finally gotten an apartment! I hope you're enjoying your new home, and that it's as good as you had imagined it to be!
Hi SunsetBrooklyn,

Thank you so much. I feel the same way about others on the forum who have been so helpful. Every time I asked a question (even if it had been asked before) there were plenty of people who answered, like Incog, Meow, MrsPeel, NYCWork718 and quite a few others back in 2014/2015 when people were starting to get letters. I hope to continue to stay active on the forum, but I must admit I am finding this new format a little tedious. I feel very lucky and GRATEFUL to be here. I am still unpacking, but so far it's been great!

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions! If I can answer, I will.

hkcg

Old 12-09-2019, 06:25 AM

233 posts, read 403,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Ditto to this. Thanks for all you've done for the community HKCG and congrats on finally closing on the apartment.

Was the closing stressful?

I've never bought real estate before so I have no idea what to expect when the time comes.
Hi Trisky,

The closing was not stressful in the sense that there were any surprises. Everything you need is listed very clearly and given to you the first time that you meet with Carmen. If you have everything ready to go, you'll be fine! It took less than an hour, and I had my keys in hand.

For me, the stressful part was the move itself, but I hired Flatrate movers and they were amazing! They had everything in my old apartment out the door in less than two hours and they were finished by 2:00 that afternoon. The other thing is that you have to buy a refrigerator and stove, so I recommend that you start browsing those items. PS hooks up your stove and the person who did that is very nice. And some apartments are missing the kitchen flooring, so you may have to have that done.

Let me know if you have other questions!

hkcg

Old 12-09-2019, 07:09 AM

36 posts, read 37,351 times
Hi does anyone know anything regarding 1530 story avenue?

Old 12-09-2019, 08:42 AM

18 posts, read 17,875 times
Anyone have updates for 540 West 53rd?

Old 12-09-2019, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 5,537 times
Question Wrong AMI

I applied for a lottery and received notice that I was selected. I went in for the first interview with documents requested and was told that I should hear back from them in 10 days. Never heard back from that agent but 4 months later I hear from a new person at the agency and they are now telling me that I have until the very next day of me receiving the email that I had to supply all the documents all over again but current because it had been over 120 days and that information was no longer any good. I was confused as to the rush in the documents, as the letter stated, if I did not have the documents in by the next day, they were moving on to the next person in the log. I hurried and got the agent what she asked for, I took it to her personally. She told me that everything was good and that I should hear back from her within 10 days, the same language the other agent used. I waited and did not hear back from that agent and then in September, I get a letter from another agent with the same hurried request for information. Now this agent was clearly new and was doing her best to go by the book. So I was asked to fill out documents that I don't believe even pertain to me. Now from the beginning of this process in April 2019 to now December 2019, my household's employment composition changed. Although it changed throughout this process, it was made clear to the agent that a member of the household that was on unemployment when he found this job, that this job was part-time and as of October 2019 would no longer have work until April 2019 when the work starts back up. When all the back and forth was settled, so I thought, I get an email from the agent stating that I got the apartment but that it was for an AMI that we clearly do not fit in. So, I haven't received and an official letter from them stating that so that I may appeal their decision. I am currently waiting (as I type this) on HDC to get back to me.

My question is does HDC relook at how the documentation was handled and can see it was done incorrectly and can reverse a determination immediately? I am afraid of being told that they would have to take time to investigate and that I will lose my place for the apartment.

Can anyone help? I may be leaving out some details, so any questions for clarity, please feel free to ask.

Also, I am expecting to hear from HDC soon, once I do, I will come back and repost their response.

Thanks

Old 12-09-2019, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 66,853 times
Has anyone who had an interview for the 515 west 36th apartments.....heard anything as of yet?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 5,806 times
Default Tenant Selection in Progress, now what?

I’ve applied for over 2 dozen lotteries between the Brooklyn & Manhattan area, all of which state “tenant selection in progress” and I know between the time I’ve applied for some of these places both my address and my income has changed and increased and may not reflect what was on the original application....my log numbers range from 1000 something to 65000 something on whichever listing, if that matters....my question is through which channel do they inform you if you’ve won the lottery? Email, Text, Postage Mail, Phone Call? I have my PO Box listed as my mailing address.....I’m currently just moved into a market rate apartment in Manhattan about 3 months ago, but if rent could be cheaper why not try my luck on housing connect?

Old 12-09-2019, 12:20 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,862,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1NYer View Post
I’ve applied for over 2 dozen lotteries between the Brooklyn & Manhattan area, all of which state “tenant selection in progress” and I know between the time I’ve applied for some of these places both my address and my income has changed and increased and may not reflect what was on the original application....my log numbers range from 1000 something to 65000 something on whichever listing, if that matters....my question is through which channel do they inform you if you’ve won the lottery? Email, Text, Postage Mail, Phone Call? I have my PO Box listed as my mailing address.....I’m currently just moved into a market rate apartment in Manhattan about 3 months ago, but if rent could be cheaper why not try my luck on housing connect?
Nothing, unless they contact you.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 PM

19,042 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Suggestions, housing lottery discussions, or leave. That’s your choices. All else will be deleted.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery