Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 07:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I figured it would be fun to start this thread since so many of us enjoyed posting on the 130+ page Penn South lottery thread. Lots of us, both in the 2014 and 2019 lottery, have tons of questions about what it's like to live in Penn South.

Perhaps some of our resident Penn South residents (lol, I said "resident" twice) can tell us?

How do you like the neighborhood?
What's your favorite restaurant?
Do you feel safe at night?
If you have a dog, where do you walk it?
What do the buildings look like on the inside?
How are the neighbors?
How's the maintenance staff?
Are you happy with your choice of living there?

And any other things you can think of. Bonus points if you post pics of inside the buildings! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2019, 08:46 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Thanks, Shady, for starting this. I assume the original thread is gone or broken up, right?

Anyway, I have a question:

If you accept an apartment, and it needs a new kitchen, is that hard to do? Are there companies that are used to Penn South and can get the job done quickly?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:21 AM

430 posts, read 504,758 times
seeing as i've visited some units

What do the buildings look like on the inside? They're clean and well kept. elevators are a good size.
How are the neighbors? Every single reisdent we've encountered while looking at apartments have been gracious, super friendly and they always wished us luck.
How's the maintenance staff? THey've been super helpful and friendly.

i have pics/videos but i'm not comfortable sharing them. But the apartments are clean and fixed up. the bathroom fixtures are replaced.

in terms of kitchen: you have supplied your own fridge, stove and flooring. if you mean to remodel? unsure. none we saw were remodeled. they were all the same size and layout.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Thanks, DreamerNYC! Do the kitchens have dishwashers?

Old 12-13-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Not in any of the apartments we saw.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:49 AM

132 posts, read 219,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Dishwashers are permitted but Penn South does not supply them. If the previous tenant installed one you might get one. Washers and dryers are not permitted, but the laundry rooms are large, clean and well-maintained.

Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incog79 View Post
Dishwashers are permitted but Penn South does not supply them. If the previous tenant installed one you might get one. Washers and dryers are not permitted, but the laundry rooms are large, clean and well-maintained.
what's the deal with renovations, especially kitchens. if my SO had her way, she's knocked down a wall to open the kitchen to the living room.

what are the coop rules concerning renovations?

Old 12-13-2019, 12:03 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,682,286 times
I, too, wonder about this! It might be nice to knock down some of the kitchen walls to make the spaces look more open. Looking at Penn South and comparing it with Cadman, I think the 1 beds in Cadman would be more easily made into 2 bedrooms than the 1 bedrooms in Penn South, should anyone want to carve out a second bedroom.

Old 12-13-2019, 12:07 PM

I've had a kitchen from 1947 for the past three decades. I'm tired of it. I want a dishwasher and solid surface countertops and a nice floor too. If I sound spoiled, trust me, I'm not!

If I am called for any Mitchell Lama, I am going to seriously consider putting serious money into the kitchen!

Old 12-13-2019, 12:11 PM

132 posts, read 219,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
what's the deal with renovations, especially kitchens. if my SO had her way, she's knocked down a wall to open the kitchen to the living room.

what are the coop rules concerning renovations?
Everything has to be approved by management, but I have heard of them allowing interior walls to be moved (here is an example: https://www.houzz.com/hznb/projects/...-pj-vj~1027013). I'm not an architect or contractor but I don't see why you couldn't take out a wall and leave it open. If you ever leave the apartment, however, you are responsible for the costs to restore it if the next tenant doesn't like what you've done. I assume that subsequent tenants would be responsible for those costs if *they* ever move out, so it might be in their interests to reject your renovations if they don't plan on being in that unit for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery