Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2020, 02:41 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times

Advertisements

Thanks for that info! How about security at the front door. Are there any cameras, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2020, 07:32 AM

233 posts, read 402,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Thanks for that info! How about security at the front door. Are there any cameras, etc.?
There is an entire security staff at PS. When I moved in I was greeted very nicely by someone who asked me to sign off on the condition of the elevator after my move. When you close, you have X number of days - can't remember - I think 90 maybe - to move in. I closed on the 1st of the month and moved in 3 weeks later. When I requested the move-in date, someone in the PS office had to check to see if the elevator would be free that day - in other words no other move ins or outs. That day was free so I was able to move in that day. They put padding in the elevator and post a security staff member in the building for the duration of your move.

I was finished by 2:00 and that's when the security staff member appeared at my door. So, to get back to your original question, yes, there are cameras all over the place but no door personnel or constant security visible. They were able to see that I had finished from their central location in the complex, so that's when they sent the security person in the building up to my apartment.

On a daily basis, you will see PS staff all over the place - it's a large and very efficiently run place. And, as many have posted already, everyone is so nice.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
There are plenty of security cameras in the entrance and also around the mail area (I’m assuming to ensure no one is taking anyone else’s packages). I’ve lived here since 2018, and it’s been nothing but a wonderful experience! There are 2 playgrounds for children, and lots of benches to sit around and read or relax with friends. The entries also have benches for seating.

We are currently in a one-bedroom, no balcony (and share the room with my kiddo)—but waiting for a 2 bedroom as my husband just hit his 3 year mark not too long ago.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:20 PM

3 posts, read 4,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
this is our dilemma now. how much renvo to do now? under 40 but will get on the 3BR waitlist. so do we wait for that one or do what we can now and take our stuff to the new apartment (if that's possible)
I was speaking with one of the mom’s at my daughter’s school. She is currently in a 2 bedroom with a balcony, but told me that she has been on the waiting list for a 3 bedroom since 2012. knowing that it can take that long, I’d say do some light renos to make it your own,

Old 03-11-2020, 02:53 PM

430 posts, read 504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorabelle1202 View Post
I was speaking with one of the mom’s at my daughter’s school. She is currently in a 2 bedroom with a balcony, but told me that she has been on the waiting list for a 3 bedroom since 2012. knowing that it can take that long, I’d say do some light renos to make it your own,
Yea, that's what we decided. paint an accent wall, no dishwasher since that would require to rejigger the cabinets. kitchen floor tiles will be nicer than vinyl though.

Old 02-04-2023, 02:20 PM

93 posts, read 76,973 times
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but it's relevant. Does anyone know if utilities are included in maintenance?

Old 10-14-2023, 09:04 AM

22 posts, read 28,549 times
Default Utilities

Utilities are not included. But, since the coop generates its own electricity apparently the rates are a fraction of ConEd. Additionally, the heating/cooling system is part of your maintenance. I paid $250 for electricity in my 1 bedroom rental uptown, and have been told I can expect a bill of a quarter that amount when I move into Penn South.

If this helps, please click the thumbs up below!

Old 10-30-2023, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 275 times
Default Maintenence fees

Does anyone know the maintenance fee for a 1 bedroom? Is it anticipated to increase? Have the maintenance fees been pretty consistent over the years? Thanks!

Old 10-30-2023, 07:35 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
The maintenance fees depend on how big the apartment is, whether it has a balcony or not, and how high a floor it's on. Currently, it ranges from $603 to $941 a month for a one-bedroom.

In addition to that, you will be paying for electricity. That's a pretty reasonable amount because PS generates its own electricity. My daughter says it depends on how much AC you use. For instance, her July bill was about $100, but August was $60 and September $45.

I don't know about maintenance raises in the future, but I know the board wants to keep increases to a minimum to ensure affordability. PS is able to borrow money for repairs at a very low rate because it's limited-equity and will be through sometime around 2050.

If you've entered the 2023 lottery. I guesstimate people will start being notified in early January. Here's the thread for the 2023 lottery:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...wait-list.html

Last edited by macnyc2003; 10-30-2023 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery