Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2023, 03:03 PM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times

Advertisements

Yes, you are correct. It means that the people ahead of you on the waiting list agreed to buy those apartments.

But be happy because you'll go to the next round, and you will probably be higher on the list, with all these people now off it.

From what I have observed, you will wait a month or two before you hear back. It depends on how many apartments are vacant and ready to be shown. Hang in there! You're so close!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 09:53 AM

42 posts, read 79,015 times
Each round were roughly 3 months for me and I was able to get an apartment in my third round.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:12 PM

18 posts, read 21,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rycolaa View Post
Each round were roughly 3 months for me and I was able to get an apartment in my third round.
Woo!
Sounds good for me to save money to pay the downpayment.
Yes, the 1st round lasted three months, and my list number moved from 60+ to 40+, position moved 20 up.

Rycolaa, could you share more experiences about the 3 rounds? For example, how many positions every round move up? The list number in the first round? The last list number in the third round?
Thank you again.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:36 PM

17 posts, read 20,976 times
I wonder if more people are putting themselves on hold b/c of the construction that's going to take place? That whole substation thing and the new building going up is going to be noisy and disruptive. I'm considering doing that myself. Right now I live in quiet area of Queens, and I don't like the thought of living in an area where the MTA is literally boring a hole beneath me.

Old 02-14-2023, 03:24 PM

Info about the MTA substation. Penn South continues to fight it, but I believe work is starting tomorrow.

West 28th Street between Eighth and Ninth will be reduced to one lane only for the duration.

https://new.mta.info/project/west-28...eet-substation

Old 02-15-2023, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qns1234 View Post
I wonder if more people are putting themselves on hold b/c of the construction that's going to take place? That whole substation thing and the new building going up is going to be noisy and disruptive. I'm considering doing that myself. Right now I live in quiet area of Queens, and I don't like the thought of living in an area where the MTA is literally boring a hole beneath me.
Peace and quiet is hard to achieve in Manhattan, and it may be even harder for Penn South residents in years to come.

Just north of PS, there is a plan to raze six city blocks and build 10 skyscrapers. I've attached a link below. Of course the community is fighting it on a couple of levels, but if it goes through, you are looking at another Hudson Yards type situation.

Another factor to consider is that unlike a market-rate co-op, at Penn South you cannot exactly choose your location. You may get lucky, of course, and be offered a choice. But it may come down to having to take what you're given, or else walk away. In my daughter's case, she was offered one unit, and she accepted it because the timing worked out well for her. You could turn down a single apartment, but I believe once you turn down a second, you're off the list. (Please confirm this when the time comes.)

A new building has just been built on the east side of Eighth Avenue between 23rd and 24th. But that one has been blessedly fast to go up. The tennis center on PS property (which PS owns) is being torn down at some point and replaced by an apartment building. It's hard to anticipate all the changes to the neighborhood that may be coming down the road.

In addition to construction, another noise factor is traffic. Residents whose windows face a major avenue will get traffic noise, with trucks, ambulances, and buses passing by all day, even on higher floors. (The windows seems to do a decent job of blocking sound, though.)

The city that never sleep!

https://chelseacommunitynews.com/202...an-june-9-2pm/

Old 02-15-2023, 07:33 AM

If the city didn't sleep, we'd all be a lot more neurotic.

I'm just considering what I, myself, can and can't handle. And all of that is a bit much, you know? I wonder if they even disclose it to people who come for interviews.

Old 02-15-2023, 07:46 AM

Quote:

I'm just considering what I, myself, can and can't handle. And all of that is a bit much, you know? I wonder if they even disclose it to people who come for interviews.
We all have to find our own level. I would say, if you're looking for advice, it doesn't hurt to go on hold (which is a maximum of five years) to give yourself time to think about it. You will continue to move up on the list, so it's no risk. You can go off hold anytime. Then you can look at the apartments and see what your options are. Who knows? You may get offered something facing inside the development that's nice and quiet.

As far as an interview, that took place after my daughter accepted the apartment. It was during the pandemic, so we saw the apartments without a human guide. There was a lock on each apartment’s doorknob, and my daughter had been given the various codes to unlock. We went in each one, looked around, and then went on to the next.

I don't know how apartment viewings are being done these days. Maybe someone going through the process now can enlighten us.

You can find out a lot on your own. Follow this thread and also read the local press about what's happening in Chelsea. And as I mentioned, the windows do a pretty good job at blocking sound.

Manhattan is a bit much in general, to use your phrase!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 02-15-2023 at 07:55 AM..

Old 02-15-2023, 10:29 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:

Even without the MTA, that area is full of noises. I used to live near by. Penn South may not be ideal for you, even at a more affordable price. I suggest going to the area once a week, different times. The quietness you have in Queens you will not have in a prime Manhattan apartment. Even 40 stories up.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:54 PM

Well, I'm going to get priced out in Queens. So this is my option. But if I can wait out the substation, I just might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery