Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2022, 03:53 PM

30 posts, read 42,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycolaa View Post
I just got a call about viewing apartments, I had 2 options. I have to start gathering all my tax returns and other paperwork for an interview in about a week and a half.

They offered you two apartments? what number choice were u?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:07 PM

38 posts, read 115,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPennSouther View Post
Hello! (new to posting here so not sure if i'm posting in the right place)

I was finally contacted to be offered an apartment and had my first meeting where they went through all the information. I'm in the process of applying for a Mortgage to pay for it and I'm noticing the communication is a bit slow, so I'm becoming a bit anxious since I have all my savings going into this. Maybe it's just my nerves but I want to do everything I can to secure this.

I'm curious about any issues, warnings, things to be careful of or aware of during the allocation process. I just want to understand any issues others have had or would draw attention to?

Any tips much appreciated!
For ABEFCU - pack your patience.... I will have more to share about my experience sometime soon. I recently closed, and thought it was going to be a reasonable timeframe. It was not. The gist - I had all my ducks in a row and figured we would close in 30 days or less - it took 2.5 months - and for nothing on my part. The lack of communication was frustrating too.

It's exciting to be offered an apartment. Just do not be overly eager to close.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:29 PM

5 posts, read 7,929 times
Thanks PennSouthGroupie. That's helpful to know. Emily at ABEFCU has been pretty helpful and accepting of my consistent follow ups so far. I just submitted my Mortgage app and she told me it would take about 3 weeks to process. Then, I'm assuming another week or so to schedule the closing. so about a month. But maybe that is the optimistic scenario.

I do need to tell my current roommate when I plan to move out, giving him a month notice to find a replacement! And it's pretty hard to guess. Sounds like I should plan for 2 months from now to be safe.

Yes, I'd like to hear more about your experience when you have updates. Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-31-2022, 02:37 PM

42 posts, read 79,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboyz212 View Post
They offered you two apartments? what number choice were u?
I was a little under twentieth for this last batch

Old 08-03-2022, 05:48 AM

15 posts, read 20,728 times
As far as I know, they are not mixed. Based on their selection criteria, internals get first crack before the apartments are released to the external pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Wow, a G with a dishwasher! I'm shocked one would fit in that kitchen!

I'm wondering if internal people and external people are mixed on these lists. The internal people get first crack. It's nice you saw a good variety, and you still may be offered something this round.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:17 AM

Does anyone know if the window cleaning company PS contracts with, clean the exterior from inside or outside the apartments?

Old 08-05-2022, 10:52 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,565,677 times
I just asked my daughter, and she doesn’t know because she hasn’t used the service yet. She does intend to, though. Maybe a resident who’s been there a while will answer.

Also, I know that there are a couple of Penn South Facebook groups, and you can search them to see if the topic has been covered or post your own question. From my limited experience, residents are very glad to help and willing to share their experiences.

Old 08-09-2022, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 23,249 times
Default 2019 2 bd list question

Hi everyone, I am in the 150s on the 20129 2 bedroom list (not including holds). I notice that we are actually only the 13th or so 2019 number, the rest are all from the 1980s-2014. I'm wondering what this means in terms of "how close" we actually are, or if this is really not that meaningful. Like, does this mean the 2014 list not even close to being done yet? I know it's impossible to know, I'm just kind of shocked that we are as high up on the 2019 list as we are and I wonder if it means anything.

Old 08-12-2022, 08:09 PM

41 posts, read 56,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Native 4 Life View Post
Does anyone know if the window cleaning company PS contracts with, clean the exterior from inside or outside the apartments?
Hi NYC NATIVE. Penn South has a window cleaning service that they recommend, and they come here only on certain days I believe. You can can use anyone of your choosing, though. A guy in my building who does this for a living cleaned mine last time. Once you’re living in PS and are in one or more of the FB groups then you can ask/see who people recommend. It’s a frequent enough topic of discussion, and I believe there may be a thread dedicated to it. They come into your apartment and clean both sides of the windows. For the large plate glass windows they use an extension. The views are so much better with clean windows!

Old 08-16-2022, 09:12 PM

Thanks ChelseaRez, I’ll have a look there. I was able to easily clean all of the inside glass and screens myself, as well as the exterior of the upper window sash. Unfortunately the bottom sash does not have a tilt latch, so I will need to invest in a very long window cleaning squeegee to complete the job. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery