Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2024, 11:55 AM

93 posts, read 76,973 times

Advertisements

I've been e-mailing back and forth with a very unhelpful apartment allocations officer at Penn South. What I want to know is, is there a minimum credit score to be offered an apartment? Even if you have already secured a mortgage elsewhere, e.g. not through the Penn South Credit Union.

I was told that they could not tell me this information. Um, huh? If they're doing a credit check, then there obviously is a minimum score or something they're looking for. I would hate to go through the process and be disqualified because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 12:00 PM

430 posts, read 504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
I've been e-mailing back and forth with a very unhelpful apartment allocations officer at Penn South. What I want to know is, is there a minimum credit score to be offered an apartment? Even if you have already secured a mortgage elsewhere, e.g. not through the Penn South Credit Union.

I was told that they could not tell me this information. Um, huh? If they're doing a credit check, then there obviously is a minimum score or something they're looking for. I would hate to go through the process and be disqualified because of it.
No there isn't.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:10 PM

They specifically just told me on the phone that there is but they "couldn't disclose it."

Bizarre.

Old 01-05-2024, 12:15 PM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
You could try calling the Penn South credit union and see if they have a minimum score they look for, although officially the credit union is separate from Penn South.

Also, if you're not going off hold until next winter, why not use the time to try to raise your credit rating if it's subpar?

Old 01-05-2024, 12:21 PM

That's my whole entire point! If there is a minimum credit "floor," I want to know so I can work on it. My score is a 690 which is obviously not the best! But if the floor is, say, 580, I know I can go off hold much sooner.

Last edited by dontworryboutathing; 01-05-2024 at 12:31 PM..

Old 01-05-2024, 12:45 PM

Is your credit score good enough for a mortgage?

Old 01-05-2024, 01:50 PM

430 posts, read 504,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontworryboutathing View Post
They specifically just told me on the phone that there is but they "couldn't disclose it."

Bizarre.
No one ever asked me about a credit score and none of my neighbors on the internal PS groups ever mentioned being asked about it. The only time it came up was with my mortgage officer.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:22 AM

Yes, but before you get in there is a credit check, no? That is what I was referring to. I was told that people can and are denied depending on credit score when the complex does a check.

Old 01-06-2024, 09:04 AM

Let’s think this through. Will you qualify for a mortgage through an entity other than the Penn South Credit Union? Or will you be paying cash for the apartment? Either way, we can assume your credit rating is good enough.

Do you have any serious delinquencies or judgments against you? Do you have reason to believe your credit rating is deficient and you won’t be able to pull it up in one year’s time, when you plan on coming off hold?

In all my years following Penn South, I have never heard of anyone who was denied because of their credit rating.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:42 AM

83 posts, read 61,699 times
For those who've been called by Penn South for the first time, what log number were you?

Because I'm wondering if you have to be log 1 or being between 1 to 10 in order to be called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery