Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2024, 03:04 PM

151 posts, read 85,697 times

Advertisements

Wow, 10 years. Is 14 your original/first log #?

Never give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollybloom View Post
Sure! I'm number 14 on the 2-bedroom external waiting list. My lottery year was 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 03:13 PM

154 posts, read 288,359 times
Haha, the 2-bedroom list moves very slowly. When I first began waiting I met people on this board for whom it took 20 years! My original log number was 96T so I guess I was the 96th person pulled for the 2-bedroom list, dunno. 14 is the number I am "in line" at this point after 9.5 years on the external list.

If you are new to the 1-bed or studio list, don't worry, my wait time bears zero resemblance to what yours will be. Soon you'll see your number move along on the external list, I think it's usually less than 5 years total wait time for anything other than a 2-bed.

To answer your questions about maintenance staff, they definitely have a big one. The place is immaculate every time I visit to view apartments. I've read that folks are very happy with their heat/AC setup too, I think it's very affordable if I remember correctly and they also make their own power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
Wow, 10 years. Is 14 your original/first log #?

Never give up!

Old 01-20-2024, 03:20 PM

5,692 posts, read 2,620,990 times
Quote:
Haha, the 2-bedroom list moves very slowly. When I first began waiting I met people on this board for whom it took 20 years! My original log number was 96T so I guess I was the 96th person pulled for the 2-bedroom list, dunno. 14 is the number I am "in line" at this point after 9.5 years on the external list.

If you are new to the 1-bed or studio list, don't worry, my wait time bears zero resemblance to what yours will be. Soon you'll see your number move along on the external list, I think it's usually less than 5 years total wait time for anything other than a 2-bed.

To answer your questions about maintenance staff, they definitely have a big one. The place is immaculate every time I visit to view apartments. I've read that folks are very happy with their heat/AC setup too, I think it's very affordable if I remember correctly and they also make their own power.
Studio List is also slow. Not like two bedrooms but much slower than one bedroom. But that's because there is only 375 studios.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:29 PM

106 posts, read 178,332 times
Quote:
Just got a letter that we have 14th choice for 3 apartments. Slightly nervous even with the high choice number because two of them are on very low floors -- one says 1D -- I didn't even know Penn South had apartments on the first floor! The other low one is 2J, yikes. We can only turn down one, right?
Congratulations, Mollybloom! Good luck! I hope you get a good one.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:42 PM

83 posts, read 62,108 times
Quote:
Sure! I'm number 14 on the 2-bedroom external waiting list. My lottery year was 2014.
2014!? You earned that! Congrats!

Old 01-20-2024, 08:53 PM

4,778 posts, read 6,584,266 times
Congrats!

I believe you can only reject one. And there are no apartments in Penn South on the actual ground floor. The first floor is up one level. If you are 14th to see three two-bedrooms, I would imagine you won’t get an apartment this round, but of course it’s good to take the opportunity to check out the various buildings and locations.

Old 01-21-2024, 06:21 PM

Thanks @macnyc2003!

Old 01-21-2024, 10:33 PM

59 posts, read 57,284 times
Quote:
Just got a letter that we have 14th choice for 3 apartments. Slightly nervous even with the high choice number because two of them are on very low floors -- one says 1D -- I didn't even know Penn South had apartments on the first floor! The other low one is 2J, yikes. We can only turn down one, right?
The 'first floor' is actually one flight up. It would be called the 2nd floor in most other buildings.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see macnyc's post which also answered your question. Meanwhile, eager to hear how your visit turns out. And glad to hear of movement on the 2-bedroom list.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:26 AM

17 posts, read 10,712 times
Quote:
Last question, do you only reject AFTER an apartment has been offered to you?
You'll get paperwork that you have to return within 24 hours of seeing an apartment that indicates you will reject or accept each apartment you see. Since you have 14th choice of 3, I'd just say you'll accept all 3 apartments regardless and then if, by some miracle, one is offered to you then you can decide to actually accept it or reject it. As long as you only reject one you'll stay on the list. But that's over the lifetime of you being on the external list. Unless there's one that's REALLY terrible, I'd just accept all of them and then cross your fingers for the next round of apartments are better options/higher floors.

Old 01-22-2024, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethian View Post
The 'first floor' is actually one flight up. It would be called the 2nd floor in most other buildings.

EDIT: sorry, I didn't see macnyc's post which also answered your question. Meanwhile, eager to hear how your visit turns out. And glad to hear of movement on the 2-bedroom list.
So relieved to know this, thanks to you both for easing my mind. I doubt we'll be offered any of these but good to know in case. We'll view them next Monday. Really hoping we'll get an apartment offer this calendar year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery