Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2024, 07:18 PM

93 posts, read 218,258 times

Advertisements

When you leave you get your investment minus a very overinflated bill for repairs. They will charge you for EVERYTHING at such an exorbitant rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 07:23 PM

145 posts, read 81,256 times
Oh? Like what? And you cannot repair it yourself? Are they nonsense charges?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newforkcity View Post
When you leave you get your investment minus a very overinflated bill for repairs. They will charge you for EVERYTHING at such an exorbitant rate.

Old 02-23-2024, 04:47 AM

93 posts, read 77,028 times
So, having lived in a Mitchell Lama (though Penn South isn't a Mitchell Lama it's run in a similar fashion) I can tell you that upon move out, you will get a VERY PADDED itemized bill of everything that was fixed. They will charge you for everything--screws, lightbulbs, anything and everything they can. And you are not allowed to do the work yourself, nor are you allowed to "argue" with them. There is a severe lack of transparency around this in all Mitchell Lamas. If your initial investment was $100,000 and you've lived in your place for 10+ years, be prepared to lose $30,000-$40,000 of that. I'm not joking.

I know of multiple people being charged for 60+ hours' worth of work to plaster and paint a STUDIO apartment in Penn South, lol. Draw your own conclusions from that...

Old 02-23-2024, 06:29 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I think this is a bit exaggerated, ‘ridiculously high’ and ‘practically market rate’. If a comparable deal is in the same neighborhood I want to know about it. Certainly always considered other waitlist or market rate options.
A lot of people on this board have no sense of reality of the rents and real estate prices in the city. Even with the maintenance increase and mortgage for a 2-BR, my total sum is still less what we paid in rent ($1900) for a 1-BR in LIC.

If people think the cost are too much, please by all means get off this wait list.

Old 02-23-2024, 06:30 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbrazil View Post
Oh? Like what? And you cannot repair it yourself? Are they nonsense charges?
You can repair it yourself and you can definitely challenge the charges on the invoices.

Old 02-23-2024, 07:00 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
A lot of people on this board have no sense of reality of the rents and real estate prices in the city. Even with the maintenance increase and mortgage for a 2-BR, my total sum is still less what we paid in rent ($1900) for a 1-BR in LIC.

If people think the cost are too much, please by all means get off this wait list.
My feelings exactly!

Old 02-23-2024, 09:11 AM

11 posts, read 9,701 times
I understand that these increases may be difficult for some people, but from the perspective of someone who will be joining the waiting list with a high number when the 2024 applications are processed, it works for me if it causes people ahead of me to decline the apartments offered. Maybe I'll get in a year sooner?

Old 02-23-2024, 10:14 AM

17 posts, read 10,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post

This is exactly right. With my mortgage and new maintenance I'm looking at close to $1650 for a 1BR. I don't know if people haven't looked at rent lately, but I can't find 1BR under $1800 in an ok neighborhood. Some basement 1BRs are $1500, some studios for $1600. And I mean I can't find any in any borough.

Yes, the 7.5% increase is A LOT at once, but it's still WELL under market-rate for Chelsea. It may be high for a Mitchell-Llama that you may have to wait many years for, but it's still a damn steal for the current market.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:33 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,631,017 times
I agree with dontworryboutathing and the math post.

Penn South has higher dollar costs and is categorically different from the Mitchell-Lamas. But, as expensive as it has gotten, Penn South is still categorically less expensive than market rate for Chelsea.

Each household on waitlists is different. Hypothetically, it could be good for a household to take a unit at Penn South today if it meant a modest savings in housing costs while waiting to advance for an offer at a less expensive situation. Keep in mind moving house can be expensive.

Old 02-23-2024, 10:38 AM

93 posts, read 77,028 times
Dollars to dollars, when compared with other similar options, Penn South is not worth it. Unless you are absolutely dying to live in Chelsea, your best option is to choose other Mitchell Lamas if you can. It's a high buy in, a high increase in carrying charges, and high yearly increases thereafter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery