Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2020, 12:55 PM

9 posts, read 11,476 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all of you for all of your information and guidance--to those of you already in and those of you, like me, waiting to get in, for the questions and the responses.
(Not to dwell on the critters...But I've dealt with that problem before, and while it certainly was NOT at all pleasant, the problem is one that can be overcome. Ultimately the critters did not win! I agree with a previous poster: Before you move anything in, you have to seal the apartment--every hole, caulk wall-to-floor moldings, closets, behind and underneath appliances, inside every cabinet, put door guards on the bottom of doors, inside/under air/heating units, use drain stoppers in every drain--and never ever leave standing water or soaking dishes--and then bring in your own exterminator, and make an essential oil spray repellent for after cleaning. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really does work.)

I've moved up and down in my one-bedroom number, now down to the 170s. I think I'm likely looking at three years.
And if people move out because of Covid, new residents may finally get in and limit the turnover--so Covid could make it go either way.

Good luck to all you wait-ers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 04:37 PM

185 posts, read 312,548 times
What number is being called at this point for studio? Thank you for information.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:26 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,695,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJNYC View Post
Thanks to all of you for all of your information and guidance--to those of you already in and those of you, like me, waiting to get in, for the questions and the responses.
(Not to dwell on the critters...But I've dealt with that problem before, and while it certainly was NOT at all pleasant, the problem is one that can be overcome. Ultimately the critters did not win! I agree with a previous poster: Before you move anything in, you have to seal the apartment--every hole, caulk wall-to-floor moldings, closets, behind and underneath appliances, inside every cabinet, put door guards on the bottom of doors, inside/under air/heating units, use drain stoppers in every drain--and never ever leave standing water or soaking dishes--and then bring in your own exterminator, and make an essential oil spray repellent for after cleaning. Sounds like a lot of work, but it really does work.)

I've moved up and down in my one-bedroom number, now down to the 170s. I think I'm likely looking at three years.
And if people move out because of Covid, new residents may finally get in and limit the turnover--so Covid could make it go either way.

Good luck to all you wait-ers!
I think it will be MUUUUCH quicker than 3 years for you, actually.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:31 PM

How long could it be for a studio with a number in the 170’s ? Thank you for any updates.

Old 10-30-2020, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 25,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
No, there isn't a general roach problem in PS; certainly not a swarming problem.

I'm also surprised at the Bldg. 10 problem, considering purportedly the spring's annual HVAC cleaning is mandatory for everyone (i.e., you can't escape letting them into your apartment - "them" being the maintenance staff, and not the roaches, lol); and maintenance was supposedly "trained to recognize the impending signs of hoarding".

I can't do much about the front-door issue; but I will say that (a), hidden cockroaches always come out in times of long absence, i.e., you'll find them dead of starvation in the middle of the floor after you go on vacation; (b), they can't swarm where you don't let them.

The latter of which is to say: before you move in, spend some time with strips of caulk and putty laying on your back on the floors, patching any holes you see where floor meets cabinetry, in and around bathroom fixtures, so on and so forth. You will be glad you did.
Misskittytalks this is super helpful , thank you!!

Old 10-30-2020, 06:01 PM

27 posts, read 30,024 times
Nyc246 my daughter is #21 on the studio list and looked at 7 apartments yesterday

Old 10-30-2020, 08:24 PM

Thank you and congratulations to your daughter.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:09 PM

30 posts, read 59,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I think it will be MUUUUCH quicker than 3 years for you, actually.
Why do you say that? I thought I was so lucky being in high teens on the 2019 list for a one bedroom, but now I’m hanging out in the high 110s on the combined list.

I feel very discouraged that anything will happen any time soon.

Old 10-31-2020, 06:41 AM

4,795 posts, read 6,631,749 times
Here is a link to the 2014 Penn South thread. The first 150 pages are all Penn South, then other threads get mixed in.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...sions-1-a.html

Old 10-31-2020, 09:13 AM

5,759 posts, read 2,662,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye212 View Post
Why do you say that? I thought I was so lucky being in high teens on the 2019 list for a one bedroom, but now I’m hanging out in the high 110s on the combined list.

I feel very discouraged that anything will happen any time soon.
Unfortunately it's not a fast process. But if you have the time and patience you will eventually get your apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery