Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2023, 01:32 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,581,779 times

Advertisements

I personally would not concern myself with the people on the list for years. If they are on that long, to me that means that Penn South used to have different rules about being on hold or the number of apartments applicants could turn down. We have no way of knowing how they are managing to be on the list that long.

My daughter was about 120 on the 2019 list when she was called to see one-bedrooms. She accepted the one she was offered, and now is celebrating one year of residency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 02:25 PM

20 posts, read 17,844 times
Thanks for the quick reply, MacNYC2003! Your reassurance is much needed and appreciated

And congrats to you and your daughter on your 1-year Penn South-aversary!!

PS: My late father's name is "Mac" and he would have loved going through the whole Penn South experience with me and my husband as well. Your daughter is very lucky to have you!

Old 05-30-2023, 07:04 AM

Bosco, thanks for the kind words. My daughter and her husband are very happy at PS and grateful they have an affordable place to live. I am honored to have “helped” them by finding out that the waiting list was opening up in 2019 and then applying over the phone with her that evening. (I didn't make it onto the list. I'll try again next time!)

Where are you (approximately) on the one-bedroom list? You do have any ideas about financing your purchase? Any floor plans you like?

Last edited by macnyc2003; 05-30-2023 at 07:21 AM..

Old 05-31-2023, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Bosco, thanks for the kind words. My daughter and her husband are very happy at PS and grateful they have an affordable place to live. I am honored to have “helped” them by finding out that the waiting list was opening up in 2019 and then applying over the phone with her that evening. (I didn't make it onto the list. I'll try again next time!)

Where are you (approximately) on the one-bedroom list? You do have any ideas about financing your purchase? Any floor plans you like?
Hey macnyc2003! Hope you make it into the next lottery so we can all be neighbors one day. You know so much about this process you're practically a tenant already [haha]!

Regarding our spot on the waitlist...let's just say we are in the top 10 active applicants [which is why I am SO curious about the older applicants from 1998-2014 taking up the first 6 spots]! We saw four units last week and are now waiting for next steps. Deadline to view the units is tomorrow [6/1] and I'm really hoping for an offer soon, but we'll see - as we all know, anything can happen!

This is our third batch of 1-bedroom units we've seen since getting initially contacted in January of 2022 [we were 103 on the list when we got the letter]. Got put on hold last year and just got reactivated a month and a half ago...and here we are!

I think we've seen all the 1-br. layouts and I can say we love the B, A, H & C lines the best. E and G lines are great too but when you view them all back-to-back, it's hard not to get too attached to the bigger ones!

Last edited by bosco_; 05-31-2023 at 01:48 PM..

Old 05-31-2023, 05:51 PM

All the one-bedrooms are laid out nicely, with an eye toward separating the living room from the bedroom. That’s handy when two people are working from home.

We didn’t see any apartments with balconies, and my son-in-law thinks having one would be cool. My daughter would rather have the wall space. So they will look at some after they’re able to go on the insider transfer list in two years.

Best of luck, and I hope you get an offer soon! The process has been slower than you’d expect, however, from what I’ve observed.

Old 06-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Quote:
All the one-bedrooms are laid out nicely, with an eye toward separating the living room from the bedroom. That’s handy when two people are working from home.

We didn’t see any apartments with balconies, and my son-in-law thinks having one would be cool. My daughter would rather have the wall space. So they will look at some after they’re able to go on the insider transfer list in two years.

Best of luck, and I hope you get an offer soon! The process has been slower than you’d expect, however, from what I’ve observed.
To date, we've seen three units with balconies and I definitely agree with your son-in-law. Not only do you get to have all your meals al-fresco, the amount of NATURAL LIGHT the balcony provides makes such a difference in the overall energy of the space. It's like having a floor-to-ceiling window in the living room. I can understand how it's not everyone's preference but I think the balcony units are worth a look!

And yes you're right, from what I understand it can take months to get an offer so I'm going to try to remain realistic with the response time, even though each passing day feels like a week!

Old 06-01-2023, 01:07 PM

I think my daughter and her husband will ask for a C or an H in their building, and see how that goes. Also, they are on the sixth floor now and like that, so they will probably ask for sixth floor and higher. I imagine most people want a high floor.

In order to expand the pool of apartments, they also have to find out what it's like, in a double-core building, to move from one side to the other. They heard somewhere that PS will not allow movers to carry furniture through the lobby. If that's the case, and it sounds logical it would be, their stuff has to be carried outside, and that's a hassle. But if so, they will probably opt to stay in their building. They like the A line in the other building though (no dumpsters).

Old 06-01-2023, 03:00 PM

Quote:
I think my daughter and her husband will ask for a C or an H in their building, and see how that goes. Also, they are on the sixth floor now and like that, so they will probably ask for sixth floor and higher. I imagine most people want a high floor.

In order to expand the pool of apartments, they also have to find out what it's like, in a double-core building, to move from one side to the other. They heard somewhere that PS will not allow movers to carry furniture through the lobby. If that's the case, and it sounds logical it would be, their stuff has to be carried outside, and that's a hassle. But if so, they will probably opt to stay in their building. They like the A line in the other building though (no dumpsters).
Yeah we've seen C, H & B with balconies and you really can't go wrong with any of those, especially on the higher floors. I've found the lower floor units to be a bit darker with less natural light, but at this point we would be grateful to be offered anything!

Speaking of dumpsters, we saw a unit last year that was on the first floor right next to the dumpsters and we were definitely concerned about the noise factor. Don't have first-hand experience but we've heard the garbage pickup can be pretty loud. But who am I kidding - with all the non-stop construction going on in Chelsea these days, we probably wouldn't even notice it!

Old 06-02-2023, 02:35 PM

New supermarket will be built on Penn South property! It will be in the new building that will take the place of the tennis center on Eighth. Apparently it’s cheaper than Trader Joe’s! Mark your calendar for early 2026.

https://www.supermarketnews.com/stor...tore-manhattan

Last edited by macnyc2003; 06-02-2023 at 03:09 PM..

Old 06-02-2023, 11:07 PM

59 posts, read 57,192 times
Thank for this, macnyc2003. I missed that announcement. Good to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery