Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2023, 06:37 AM

154 posts, read 287,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbrury20002 View Post
i have bee reading this tread for almost a year now and i have to say I'm excited for all of us. I wish all of you safety and great graces. The only thing thats gonna be weird is being a kid from Brooklyn living in Chelsea now. spending more money is what I'm not excited about ...The cost of groceries, transportation, parking is crazyyyyyyyyyyy Jesus i saw that parking lot and $500 for the month is insane. But hey this what we want to be apart of right. I just need to know all the discounted areas to save a couple bucks lol. ....... love you all... good luck
They're opening a large discount grocery store in or very near Penn South that's supposed to be very affordable. Link below. And don't forget about Trader Joe's--not sure where you live in BK but for me it's a pain to get there and in Chelsea it'll be easy. We're puzzled about the car situation too, seems to make the most sense to ditch the car if one lives in Manhattan but haven't decided yet.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/news...chelsea-050923
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 07:11 AM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Living in Manhattan is expensive, but parts of Brooklyn aren't that cheap either anymore. As Molly points out, that Lidl supermarket is very exciting, and it will be right there on PS property. Of course, it's years away. In the meantime, Trader Joe's is a solid value.

Some expenses are unavoidable, but many are determined by your lifestyle. If you cook for yourself and avoid regular takeout and eating in restaurants, that's a huge saving. Giving up a car and taking public transportation might be another option. Living in PS is a great saving in itself, since the monthly expense is very low once you get past the cost of purchasing the apartment, which is pretty reasonable.

I believe the laundry rooms at PS are relatively inexpensive. Plus, your electric bill should be manageable because of the PS power plant. My daughter's electric bill in her one-bedroom is about $25 to 40 a month.

Plus you have the knowledge that if the NYC grid goes down, your lights will still be burning brightly and your wi-fi humming along.

I tease my daughter that if there's ever another blackout, I'm moving in with her for the duration.

Last edited by macnyc2003; 07-15-2023 at 07:31 AM..

Old 07-15-2023, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 11,598 times
Hey all hope all is well. i love the tips you guys have given me and yes i agree but that car thing i cant give up. plus i enjoy not having crazy homeless people going crazy on the bus. the train i can deal with but that bus sucks. i just check the list it moved again. woowwww this is really happening.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:53 AM

I had an idea yesterday about the studio wait list.

Two factors are behind this. First off, the one-bedroom list is moving much faster than the studio list. Two, the G line one-bedroom (found in the double-core buildings) has a very small kitchen. Because of that, many residents move in, wait the three years until they can go on the internal list, and then transfer to a larger layout.

I know PS management has been looking at ways to redesign the G layout so that turnover is decreased. It costs the co-op money to keep fixing up those apartments. The board would prefer residents stay put longer.

But instead of redoing the layout, why not redo the list? What do you think?

Suppose, once the current one-bedroom wait list is finished, PS starts offering G one-bedrooms as a choice to those on the studio list?

The G line itself is nicely laid out except for the tiny kitchen. I think many people on the studio list would be thrilled to get a G, and maybe they might stay in the apartment longer, especially if they are a household of one.

Many people don't cook much, and the G would be perfect for them.

And not to bad-mouth the G: As I mentioned, the living room and bedroom are nice, and they are connected by a long hallway so there is separation. The closets are good, with a large one in the bedroom. The only drawback is the size of the kitchen.

It might help with G turnover and get the studio list moving faster!

Old 07-21-2023, 08:39 AM

20 posts, read 17,774 times
Hey everyone!

So happy to announce that we officially closed on our [tiny G-line] 1-bedroom yesterday! It's so surreal to have the keys in our hands, it almost doesn't feel real. Took about 4 years from being selected in 2019 'till now.

What's funny is that despite this, we are STILL checking the external waitlist out of habit [haha]. Old habits die hard when we've been refreshing the same page, multiple times a day, for YEARS! Yesterday reality set in when we vanished from the list, so I'm expecting more 1-bedroom batches to open up for viewing soon [if they haven't already].

Love the community on this forum and wish you all the best. We will continue to check in here and root for you all!

Old 07-21-2023, 08:47 AM

Congrats, Bosco!!! May you have many happy years in your space!

Old 07-22-2023, 10:43 PM

59 posts, read 56,599 times
So very happy for you, Bosco_!! Have you started a 3-year countdown to get on the INTERNAL list?! Keep us posted. And best of luck!

Old 07-24-2023, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pethian View Post
So very happy for you, Bosco_!! Have you started a 3-year countdown to get on the INTERNAL list?! Keep us posted. And best of luck!
Thanks so much macnyc2003 and Pethian!! And YES, the 3-year countdown has already begun!! Hope the prices don't go up too much in that time!

Old 07-30-2023, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 18,559 times
Does anyone know if Penn South still has storage spaces available to new owners?

Old 07-30-2023, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roses1212 View Post
Does anyone know if Penn South still has storage spaces available to new owners?
Hey roses1212!!

YES, storage spaces for Penn South residents DO exist, but since they are in such high demand [with really limited availability], the wait list is LOOONG. Once you close on your unit you have to notify the office to be put on the list.

We just applied ourselves, and were told it could be 15-20 YEARS before we get something!! Will we even be alive then?! Parking space and/or bike room wait is approximately 10 years right now as well.

Patience is definitely the name of the game with this place [as I'm sure you all know by now]...but at least we're all waiting together! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery