Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2021, 07:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
On the active studio list they have 46 applications before they get to the 2019 lottery.
So my wisdom is don't pack your bags just yet.
Just what are those people from 1994 and 1998 doing!? The mind it is blown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 07:48 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post

I know there are fewer studios than one bedrooms, but it could be the studios turn over faster, I don't know.
I doubt it. There are only 375 studios versus 1371 one bedrooms.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:49 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnyand50 View Post
I keep telling myself it's 2-3 years for Penn South. (And 10+ for River Terrace.)
You also have to remember there are only 375 studios

So putting it in perspective you need half the people in studios to move out.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:14 AM

27 posts, read 29,789 times
Thank you. We were getting concerned because Carmen said she would get back to my daughter in a day or two and that was over a week ago. I'm relieved to know it can take a while.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:29 PM

38 posts, read 114,957 times
I certainly do not understand the wait list. After not moving forward on the 1 bedroom list the last few months, I’m actually moving backwards on both the active and inactive lists. Three weeks ago I was bumped backwards by 1 and then it happened again today. I would understand if it was just the inactive list that moved with people putting their applications on hold or taking them off, but both lists move simultaneously which tells me 2 ppl have been added to the list ahead of me. It’s a head scratcher since we have not progressed.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:20 AM

483 posts, read 691,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
We don't but some people do. The trends seems apartments with southern or western exposures tend to get hotter in the summer but also some people just prefer to have extra AC.
There is a surcharge per window AC.
I'm frankly miserable for about 2-3 weeks leading up to each switchover, in the interests of full disclosure. Annually I say "Next summer I'm getting an a/c"; except I've also past experiences with window units and don't look forward to shelling out twice annually to have it stored, removed, and cleaned, as I used to in a place with no central air. I've left the windows open 24 hours/day for as long as 6 days in the past autumn, even through rain, before I thought "Wow, I should close them, this place is too cool..."! If you are not as personally cranky about physical discomfort as I am (as a child, my mother would call me "The Princess and the Pea", as a point of reference), you might be able to get by without these adjustments.

Old 02-13-2021, 06:37 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
I am actually looking forward to living without AC. I hate air conditioning (I know, I'm a weirdo)...

Old 02-13-2021, 06:49 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskittytalks View Post
I'm frankly miserable for about 2-3 weeks leading up to each switchover, in the interests of full disclosure. Annually I say "Next summer I'm getting an a/c"; except I've also past experiences with window units and don't look forward to shelling out twice annually to have it stored, removed, and cleaned, as I used to in a place with no central air. I've left the windows open 24 hours/day for as long as 6 days in the past autumn, even through rain, before I thought "Wow, I should close them, this place is too cool..."! If you are not as personally cranky about physical discomfort as I am (as a child, my mother would call me "The Princess and the Pea", as a point of reference), you might be able to get by without these adjustments.
We were fine during the switchover. I don’t plan on getting ACs anytime soon.

Old 02-13-2021, 07:52 AM

483 posts, read 691,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I agree that the buy-in for Penn South isn't cheap compared to other limited-equity developments. But I think PS has some real advantages:

1) It's large and the waiting lists actually move. You may be waiting 20 years—or even longer—for some other ML buildings.

2) Once you're in PS, you can go on the insider's wait list for a better or bigger apartment. If you have a baby, you can transfer quicker.

3) PS seems to be professionally managed, with established procedures and (from what I can tell) no hanky-panky. At many other limited-equity developments, managers were caught knocking applicants off the waiting list and giving the apartments to friends, among other wrongdoing.

4) The residents at PS have made a commitment to keeping their development affordable, or at least relatively affordable. Other limited-equity buildings have either sold out or are thinking of selling out. Obviously, if they go market-rate while you're still waiting to get in, you're out of luck.

It all depends on your personal situation, of course. If you get called by PS, and it's not your first choice, you can decline. But if you really need a place to live, you can buy an apartment at PS and then move out when something better comes along.
Also, you're acquiring a lot of community extras. It's more like StuyTown than it is single-building ML's, IMO - we have our own fitness center, albeit small, and our "own" grocery store (well, Gristedes as a commercial tenant, and proximity to Whole Foods), and a whole host of programs for senior citizens - off the top of my head I can remember free flu shot day, free income tax filing day, free document shred day, free COVID testing day (or was that "free COVID inoculation for those in the target demographic"? it might have been either or both); and those are just the ones I can remember as a non-senior citizen who gets the emails because I donate monthly - a small amount, I intend to donate more once I get rid of my mortgage.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:22 AM

269 posts, read 334,556 times
Thanks 90sSitCom for the perspective. It does make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery