Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2021, 06:13 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times

Advertisements

I agree I would want to see all the apartments. After all, you’re buying it, not renting it. It’s just crazy to expect someone to see 20 apartments, in different buildings and elevator lines, in four hours. I guess Penn South is trying to make up for time lost because of the pandemic and get the vacancies sold, but they should allow more time. Or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 07:41 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
To be fair, do you need to see ALL 20 apartments? Aren't they essentially the same in certain lines? For instance, for studios, there are 10 variations. So if you've seen all 10 variations do you need to see the other 10? And since you can't reject more than two (I believe) you're eventually going to be saying yes to pretty much anything they offer. I'm pretty much willing to just take any apartment there sight unseen given you have to do the flooring and get appliances for any apartment you're offered because of those circumstances.
This is very perceptive of you and correct.
We went through 3 rounds of viewing and midway through the 2nd round we realized all the layouts are the same. At that point, we were looking at the views and location relative to subway/school/playgrounds/work etc and spent about 5 minutes looking at it.
And the apartments are usually empty (out of 15 apts we looked it, only 1 still had the owners living in it) and restored to original setting (bathrooms tiles maybe updated to current color scheme and parquet flooring may get replaced if needed)

Last edited by Dreamernyc; 03-14-2021 at 08:34 AM..

Old 03-14-2021, 08:18 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
I cannot imagine WHY theyy are showing occupied apartments.

A friend got in about 20 years ago. He was shown a single apartment, turned it down and was told he will be called to view 2 more separately. He was allowed only 3 choices and then would be stricken from the list. He said yes to his third choice and died soon after moving.

I regret not having applied in the '90's. I wouid have much preferred living in Chelsea to living on the UES. But back then I thought you had to be an ILGWU member. Dumb.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:29 AM

269 posts, read 334,556 times
Great insights! Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,683,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I cannot imagine WHY theyy are showing occupied apartments.

A friend got in about 20 years ago. He was shown a single apartment, turned it down and was told he will be called to view 2 more separately. He was allowed only 3 choices and then would be stricken from the list. He said yes to his third choice and died soon after moving.

I regret not having applied in the '90's. I wouid have much preferred living in Chelsea to living on the UES. But back then I thought you had to be an ILGWU member. Dumb.
I wish we could switch. I'd rather be on the UES. My spot on Penn South's list for your place... deal? lol

Old 03-14-2021, 09:17 AM

4,771 posts, read 6,560,761 times
DreamerNYC, what is your opinion on having to view 20 apartments in one session? From what you're saying, you saw 15 apartments in three sessions.

Old 03-14-2021, 09:17 AM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
I wish we could switch. I'd rather be on the UES. My spot on Penn South's list for your place... deal? lol
I love Chelsea. I can hop on the train and run all my errands in the same neighborhood.
Many years ago I lived on 23rd Street. I rarely needed mass transit. Too bad the place was expensive and this was before all the "tendy" business came into the area. I'm excited about Penn South purely for the location.

Old 03-14-2021, 11:16 AM

430 posts, read 505,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
DreamerNYC, what is your opinion on having to view 20 apartments in one session? From what you're saying, you saw 15 apartments in three sessions.
We had one hour to see at most 5 apartments so that tracks. You do twenty in 4 hours and that’s the same ratio I got. They didn’t have a glut of empty apartment when I went. Like Trisky said, the lines are the same layout so once you seen two of the same line you should realize it’s all the same. For studios and 1BRs, most people haven’t done large renovations (ie knock down a wall or add closets) to make one spend more than 5 minutes inspecting the same line for a third time.
I have other thoughts I’d be happy to send you via PM.

Old 03-14-2021, 12:57 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Quote:
Call me when you get in.

Old 03-14-2021, 02:23 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,972 times
Quote:
I would want to see them all. Some people might have different flooring or have made other changes.
I guess my thinking is that it sounds like renovations are not really a huge thing in the entire complex, like to the point where they sometimes have people put walls back up, so I'm not really expecting huge differences in the apartments.

And also your hands are tied in that you might see two that you don't like and then you reject them and literally have to choose anything else that's left. After that point it's a total toss up what you get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery