Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 08:14 AM

4,799 posts, read 6,638,223 times

Advertisements

Carmen does seem to be working from home, answering emails. My daughter received a reply from her the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 08:52 AM

430 posts, read 510,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Carmen does seem to be working from home, answering emails. My daughter received a reply from her the other day.
Oh yea, they’ve been working from home this whole
time. I’ve been in touch with the person in charge of moves extensively the last two weeks. But I think the real issue is the nitty gritty of printing out letters, mailing envelopes and more importantly organizing the actual showing of apartments.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:09 AM

Plus, the vacant apartments have to be refurbished, and I imagine that's just starting now. My landlord has resumed renovations recently.

Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Plus, the vacant apartments have to be refurbished, and I imagine that's just starting now. My landlord has resumed renovations recently.
maintenance staff (and security) have been on-site working this whole time and refurbishing when possible.

Old 06-26-2020, 01:50 PM

233 posts, read 404,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
maintenance staff (and security) have been on-site working this whole time and refurbishing when possible.
Yes, so the 40 apartments are probably ready to be seen and sold. About a week before we went on Covid lockdown, I had a maintenance staff person hang some paintings for me. All you have to do is post a request on the bulletin board at the maintenance office, and if the staff member has the time when he's off, someone will call you and you can negotiate a price for whatever it is that you want done. The person who helped me was a really nice guy who mentioned that he usually does apartment refurbishes and that he had done my apartment. He said that they were still doing them and would probably continue since sometimes there is only one person doing the work in the apartment at a time.

So get your money/taxes/organizing ducks in a row if you're low on the list. I'm sure you'll be getting notified soon!

Old 06-26-2020, 05:45 PM

Thanks, hkcg! It's great to have current Penn South residents participating on this board!

Old 06-26-2020, 07:55 PM

21 posts, read 29,526 times
Thanks hkcg! How do you like living at penn south so far!

Old 06-27-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkcg View Post
Yes, so the 40 apartments are probably ready to be seen and sold. About a week before we went on Covid lockdown, I had a maintenance staff person hang some paintings for me. All you have to do is post a request on the bulletin board at the maintenance office, and if the staff member has the time when he's off, someone will call you and you can negotiate a price for whatever it is that you want done. The person who helped me was a really nice guy who mentioned that he usually does apartment refurbishes and that he had done my apartment. He said that they were still doing them and would probably continue since sometimes there is only one person doing the work in the apartment at a time.

So get your money/taxes/organizing ducks in a row if you're low on the list. I'm sure you'll be getting notified soon!
Funny enough, the other day I heard noise from the hallway and it was a maintenance guy entering the empty apartment next to ours to do some work. And this morning, I see a guy doing work in living room across the court yard from me.

Old 06-27-2020, 03:19 PM

67 posts, read 95,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamernyc View Post
Funny enough, the other day I heard noise from the hallway and it was a maintenance guy entering the empty apartment next to ours to do some work. And this morning, I see a guy doing work in living room across the court yard from me.
This is so exciting!

Old 06-27-2020, 09:12 PM

26 posts, read 32,993 times
Default I’m from 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottohopeful View Post
I do not understand how there are still so many active applicants from 1998. How were they never called to view available apartments? If they were did they reject them all? If so, wouldn't they be off the waiting list?
My story is this. My Dad told me about the lottery (he’s a Stuyvesant Town renter) and entered me! I was happy in my Brooklyn apt but was excited for a future opportunity. I had heard it could take 6, 7, 8, nine years. I was fine with that. I said well then, I’ll choose balcony. That slowed things way down and it was out of mind. I even got married and divorced in that time. In 2014 I got a letter to view. I went and accepted some apts but there were people ahead of me, thank goodness. I turned one down. I was recently divorced and not financially ready. My Dad, again gave me advice (I’m not young my Dad is now 84) and said put it on hold. I didn’t know you could. I emailed Carmen for a five year freeze. I got a letter 2 months after the five years were up Jan 2020 saying freeze was over. Shortly after I was given something like 14 apts to view. I had left my old job and just got a new one. I have money for down payment. I viewed a bunch of apts on Feb 27th. Then came pandemic. That’s my long story of how I’ve been on the list since 2003. Really I think it’s all about the balcony! They’ve changed the policy and I got in the full one bedroom pool. I plan to be a Penn South resident soon.

Last edited by Cara11; 06-27-2020 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: I made a mistake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery