Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2020, 08:15 PM

86 posts, read 76,620 times

Advertisements

I had an interview in October and currently wait listed for an apartment. I recently got a promotion without a raise right before the quarantine started. Even though i got new responsibilities the work load is significantly less so i'm grateful to be paid full time at my current rate.

When my company starts to operate as usual i plan on negotiating a pay raise. But i am curious if i will be asked about my income again. If i get this raise i want, it would likely put me above the AMI i originally qualified for in October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 11:05 PM

133 posts, read 142,579 times
It is very likely that they will request new / more current pay stubs from you.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:18 PM

885 posts, read 1,387,531 times
Since you've been on the waitlist for a bit they'll definitely want updated pay stubs and other documents should they call you for processing. Here's the thing, there's really no way to estimate when they might call you from the wait list. It could be months, it could be years. I say go for your raise and apply to new lotteries that your new income qualifies you for after your income increases. If they happen to call you after that happens, just let them know about your change in income and ask if they have units for a higher ami that they can consider you for. Best of luck to you!

Old 05-18-2020, 06:55 AM

75 posts, read 78,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefpatty View Post
I had an interview in October and currently wait listed for an apartment. I recently got a promotion without a raise right before the quarantine started. Even though i got new responsibilities the work load is significantly less so i'm grateful to be paid full time at my current rate.

When my company starts to operate as usual i plan on negotiating a pay raise. But i am curious if i will be asked about my income again. If i get this raise i want, it would likely put me above the AMI i originally qualified for in October.
You got the promotion but still getting the same pay correct? Do you know when your company will Start operate as usual? If you haven’t gotten a raise you shouldn’t update your profile salary until you get the raise. If you do get the raise when an building gets back to you, just give them your new salary and yes if it’s more than than the salary bracket it will put you above the AMI you originally qualified for. And yes they will ask for income verification (current paystubs). And as someone said before you don’t know when they’ll contact you. Go for the raise

Old 05-18-2020, 08:35 AM

4,804 posts, read 6,658,719 times
To add to the information you've already gotten: In this process, documents "age out" at 120 days. So assuming you're called for an apartment, your documents from October have expired, and you will have to supply all financial information again: pay stubs, employer verification, bank statements, etc.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the AMI has gone up in April, and the new amounts will be used to process you. I posted the AMI chart at the bottom of this message. If you do get a raise, keep it under the amount of the new AMI and you will still qualify.

I am wondering now if there will be any more wiggle room in the regulations considering the pandemic. People's lives are in upheaval and their finances in flux. It would be nice if this was taken into consideration.

I don't know how close you are to getting an apartment. With wait lists, it's hard to tell. But if you are close, meaning that they contact you for new documents, you may want to pass up any raises until you've signed a lease, or ask for a raise in keeping with the new AMI. That is depending on how much you want the apartment, of course.

Here's the AMI chart:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/servic...an-income.page

Last edited by macnyc2003; 05-18-2020 at 09:03 AM..

Old 05-18-2020, 09:15 AM

I guess i'm going to ask for that raise as soon as the pandemic settles down.

as disappointing as it is to lose the housing opportunity even though my log number was mid 2xx, i have to accept that this is a good problem to have. i was really looking forward to having stable rent

Old 05-18-2020, 09:20 AM

4,804 posts, read 6,658,719 times
Keep in mind you may not get the raise you’re asking for. Did you look at the new AMI?

Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 AM

in 2019 i was on the low end of the 60% ami. if get proper raise to match my promotion i'm might be pushing a bit past the current 60%

Old 05-18-2020, 07:59 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,786,045 times
You could be on the wait list for literally years. Better to have the salary.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:36 PM

The thing is i don't think i'm in a regular wait list. the development i applied for has 2 buildings and they're in the early stages of assigning apartments for the 2nd building. i was told last week "You will be contacted once we reach your log number." i still plan on getting the raise but the timing is contingent of the pandemic settling which doesn't seem like anytime soon. hopefully the building management contacts me during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery