Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 PM

133 posts, read 141,514 times

Advertisements

Hi,

It is me once again, but this time asking for a friend. My friend was just called for an "interview", and she needs to provide the agency with a copy of the lease of her landlord as she is renting a room, and don't have a lease under her name. But it turns out that the person my friend is renting the room from( her landlord) has some sort of government assistance and is not supposed to rent out the additional bedroom in her unit, so this lady is refusing to provide my friend with a copy of her lease.

However, my friend does have proof of residency; she has received mail and deliveries there, and she also got a copy of the lady's most recent electricity bill and a copy of the monthly letter the building sends to collect the rent from the lady.

Anyone have been through the same or similar situation? The more I learn about these processes, the more important these lotteries become, some of us do have it tougher in this city when it comes to housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 10:10 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
The reason for showing the lease is to prove NYC residency for the NYC preference. If she can do a credit check there's otherwise no reason for it. Does she have official government mail sent to that address? Benefits, voter registration, that kind of thing?

The alternative is to lean on the landlord. Sounds like she's committing Section 8 fraud. Your friend can get a copy of a lease or she can drop a dime on the *********. Surely the ********* would prefer the former?

Old 05-26-2020, 10:11 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
"The person who is committing fraud." Not sure why the board wanted to censor *that* word!

Old 05-26-2020, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
The reason for showing the lease is to prove NYC residency for the NYC preference. If she can do a credit check there's otherwise no reason for it. Does she have official government mail sent to that address? Benefits, voter registration, that kind of thing?

The alternative is to lean on the landlord. Sounds like she's committing Section 8 fraud. Your friend can get a copy of a lease or she can drop a dime on the *********. Surely the ********* would prefer the former?
I don't think she has official government mail sent to that address, however, she did get a copy of a notice from NYC Housing Authority leased department addressed to the lady with her address and name on, however, as I told my friend, she has to be careful because what if she gets both the lady and herself out on the street? and she doesn't even get the lottery apartment? that would be two people out in the streets, including my friend.

The copy of the letter my friend got is very specific and even talks about the lady's section 8 benefits, housing voucher etc, I haven't seen the letter, but I believe that all these docs and a letter explaining the situation should be enough, right? :S

Old 05-27-2020, 06:59 AM

128 posts, read 135,798 times
If she’s renting a room she can get a sublease agreement with the lady whom she’s renting the room from it worked for me they didn’t even want to look at the person I was renting from lease because my name wasn’t on it

Old 05-27-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmoore View Post
If she’s renting a room she can get a sublease agreement with the lady whom she’s renting the room from it worked for me they didn’t even want to look at the person I was renting from lease because my name wasn’t on it
The issue seems to be that the lady doesn't want to make it known that she is renting the extra room because she is receiving some sort of assistance, most likely section 8 based on the docs my friend got.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:07 AM

32 posts, read 25,445 times
Maybe she can write a letter stating your friend lives there. Having the mail with her name and address helps too.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:10 AM

4,768 posts, read 6,555,721 times
The rent your friend is paying is probably supposed to be reported by the landlady as income, and I imagine she doesn't want to do that.

Your friend could try doing what missmoore suggested. The landlady can go online and print out a standard sublease agreement, fill it in, and then she and your friend would have to sign that.

But I think there still would be a risk to submit anything to the state in case someone has the bright idea to check out the address and/or landlady and follow up. Although these days, with a pandemic raging, not too many state or city employees probably have the inclination to do that.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:13 AM

This is a good idea, and we discussed that. However, a sublease agreement can't be signed retroactively, and she needs to prove that she has been living there for a couple of years if they sign the sublease agreement today, it won't help to prove that she has been living there for a while.

Old 05-27-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The rent your friend is paying is probably supposed to be reported by the landlady as income, and I imagine she doesn't want to do that.

Your friend could try doing what missmoore suggested. The landlady can go online and print out a standard sublease agreement, fill it in, and then she and your friend would have to sign that.

But I think there still would be a risk to submit anything to the state in case someone has the bright idea to check out the address and/or landlady and follow up. Although these days, with a pandemic raging, not too many state or city employees probably have the inclination to do that.
This is a good idea, however, the sublease can't be signed retroactively and my friend needs confirmation that she has been living at her address for a couple of years.

I told her to contact the marketing agent in her case and explain her situation, but I don't think they will suggest any other option, at the end of the date, it feels like they are there to disqualify people instead of vetting them :S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: