Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 07:12 AM

133 posts, read 142,633 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Have anyone requested to view a different unit from the one assigned to you? How did it go? is it even possible?

Please let me know. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 07:15 AM

7,910 posts, read 7,959,709 times
just ask, and tell em why. if they say no, then don't opt in. taking a apt, or home that you don't love will be one of your biggest regrets

Old 08-10-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
just ask, and tell em why. if they say no, then don't opt in. taking a apt, or home that you don't love will be one of your biggest regrets
I do like the unit,however, it is on a high floor and I am currently undergoing testing for a possible medical condition that could affect my walking/mobility, so an unit on a lowel level could be helpful in case I do have this condition.

I would gladly take the unit assigned tho. The building is beutiful and has good amenities.

Old 08-10-2020, 07:45 AM

885 posts, read 1,388,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issapi27 View Post
I do like the unit,however, it is on a high floor and I am currently undergoing testing for a possible medical condition that could affect my walking/mobility, so an unit on a lowel level could be helpful in case I do have this condition.

I would gladly take the unit assigned tho. The building is beutiful and has good amenities.
In this case, you have a valid concern. However, if your building has elevators, they're not really obligated to provide you with a lower floor because you don't have to use stairs to access the unit. If you can get some sort of written letter from your doctor supporting your need to be on a lower floor, that may help, but then this also may prolong your process in being placed in a unit. Good luck either way!

Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times
I had once tried, but wasn't successful. But there is someone on this forum who was. He basically rejected a studio because he wanted a one bedroom, and lo and behold, they called him back for the one bedroom.
In your case, I'd think a medical condition would qualify for a change.

Either way, good luck!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
In this case, you have a valid concern. However, if your building has elevators, they're not really obligated to provide you with a lower floor because you don't have to use stairs to access the unit. If you can get some sort of written letter from your doctor supporting your need to be on a lower floor, that may help, but then this also may prolong your process in being placed in a unit. Good luck either way!
The building does have elevators and the unit is right next to the stairs. I am more than fit enough now to deal with the stairs if needed, my only issue is that this could change in the future.

I just asked, if they don't have any other unit, I would happily take the one assigned, I am just trying to plan ahead, in case 2020 wants to leave another physical mark on me lol

Old 08-10-2020, 10:26 AM

4,807 posts, read 6,663,585 times
I don't understand the logic.

You want to be on a lower floor in case you are developing a mobility problem.

So you're saying that if you develop a mobility problem you want to be able to use the stairs instead of the elevator? In case the elevator breaks down, you want to be able to use the stairs?

Does the building have only one elevator?

Old 08-10-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
I don't understand the logic.

You want to be on a lower floor in case you are developing a mobility problem.

So you're saying that if you develop a mobility problem you want to be able to use the stairs instead of the elevator? In case the elevator breaks down, you want to be able to use the stairs?

Does the building have only one elevator?
The building does have elevators, and I actually like living on the higher floors, however, as I am undergoing testing for a neurological problem involving my legs, I am afraid that in case I do develop or do have such medical issue and the elevators malfunction or ever worse there is an emergency in which we have to use the stairs to evacuate the building, I may struggle to do so due to the location of my unit.

I mean, I will gladly take the unit and I hope i don't have the medical issue I am getting tested for, I am just trying to think ahead, just in case.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:54 AM

4,807 posts, read 6,663,585 times
It is good to think ahead, and you should definitely ask for a unit on a lower floor, citing the "in case of emergency" that you expressed above.

Upper-floor units are more desirable in general (better views), so since you are requesting to move to a lower floor, there probably would be someone happy to switch with you if asked by management.

Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
It is good to think ahead, and you should definitely ask for a unit on a lower floor, citing the "in case of emergency" that you expressed above.

Upper-floor units are more desirable in general (better views), so since you are requesting to move to a lower floor, there probably would be someone happy to switch with you if asked by management.
Yes, definitely! they seem to be willing to move me down a bit, I love upper-floor units, especially because of better views as you cited and they are usually less noisy, but I want to make sure the unit fits closer to my current and future needs, so let's see how it goes.

Fingers crossed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: