Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 AM

13 posts, read 20,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink snake View Post
I won!
Hi, how much did you end up paying the penalty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 10:27 AM

203 posts, read 262,886 times
I ended up paying $0. They initially wanted $8000.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I ended up paying $0. They initially wanted $8000.
What did you do to waive the penalty? They haven’t told me the exact amount yet, just say a lot of money.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM

881 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
I won!
Congratulations! $8K was way too much to have to fork over for breaking a lease! I have since moved from my old apartment to my new pad. I ended up paying that 1 month of rent and letting them keep my security deposit so that we'd be squared away. Didn't want the headache of fighting them in court for the rest of the months of rent that was left on my lease, maybe in the future if I need to break a lease and it's post pandemic I'll have the strength to put up a fight, but for now I'm content with the outcome and happy with my new place!

Old 11-25-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1010 View Post
What did you do to waive the penalty? They haven’t told me the exact amount yet, just say a lot of money.
Check PMs.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Congratulations! $8K was way too much to have to fork over for breaking a lease! I have since moved from my old apartment to my new pad. I ended up paying that 1 month of rent and letting them keep my security deposit so that we'd be squared away. Didn't want the headache of fighting them in court for the rest of the months of rent that was left on my lease, maybe in the future if I need to break a lease and it's post pandemic I'll have the strength to put up a fight, but for now I'm content with the outcome and happy with my new place!
Sounds like a good outcome. Congrats!

Old 11-25-2020, 01:08 PM

6,680 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniCakes View Post
Hey Nini, did you have many months left on your lease? And congratulations on your new place!

Old 11-27-2020, 08:55 AM

881 posts, read 1,369,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Hey Nini, did you have many months left on your lease? And congratulations on your new place!
Yes i had 9 months left on my lease when i broke it and moved out for my new pad. At almost $1800 a month, that would have added up to a pretty penny if they had held me liable, so i bit the bullet and coughed up the extra month of rent. They sent me a confirmation letter stating that my account balance with them is $0 so we're officially done! Thanks very much! This apartment has a lower rent with better amenities, including a gym, so I'm happy with the outcome!

Old 11-27-2020, 02:02 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Nice work, people!

Old 12-03-2020, 10:30 AM

Hi, I have 10 months left on my lease. I'm willing to forfeit the security deposit and pay some penalty. But the landlord insisted that I'm responsible for the rent until the apartment is re-rented or my lease ends whichever happens first as per the lease. My mom, who is a senior citizen and lives with me, was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation and installed a pacemaker. Can I use below to minimize the penalty?

Under New York state law (Real Property Law §227-a(1)) tenants or their spouses living with them who are 62 years or older, or who will turn 62 during the term of their leases, are entitled to terminate their leases if they are certified by a physician as being no longer able, for medical reasons, to live independently and who will move to a residence of a family member, or relocate to an adult care facility, a residential health care facility, subsidized low-income housing, or other senior citizen housing. When given notice of the tenant’s intention to move into one of the above facilities, the landlord must release the tenant from liability to pay rent for the balance of the lease and adjust any payments made in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery