Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2020, 04:52 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times

Advertisements

Point your landlord to this:

"The Housing Stability and Tenant Protection Act of 2019 requires landlords of both regulated and unrelated units to make a reasonable, good faith attempt at re-letting a unit if a tenant vacates before their lease expires. Landlords must re-rent at the lesser of previous rent or market rent, and the existing tenant is off the hook for damages once a new lease is signed.
If the market rent falls after a lease is signed, the current tenant is only responsible for the lower, market rent as opposed to the monthly rent agreed to in the lease."

https://www.hauseit.com/nyc-rent-law...-changes-2019/

Now, these are weird times in terms of re-renting, but that also means you could argue for a lower "market rent" to be on the hook for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2020, 06:43 PM

13 posts, read 20,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
Point your landlord to this:

"The Housing Stability and Tenant Protection Act of 2019 requires landlords of both regulated and unrelated units to make a reasonable, good faith attempt at re-letting a unit if a tenant vacates before their lease expires. Landlords must re-rent at the lesser of previous rent or market rent, and the existing tenant is off the hook for damages once a new lease is signed.
If the market rent falls after a lease is signed, the current tenant is only responsible for the lower, market rent as opposed to the monthly rent agreed to in the lease."

https://www.hauseit.com/nyc-rent-law...-changes-2019/

Now, these are weird times in terms of re-renting, but that also means you could argue for a lower "market rent" to be on the hook for.
Thank you!

Old 12-09-2020, 11:43 AM

10 posts, read 9,219 times
Please keep us updated Lucky1010...I've recently entered into the same situation. re-signed my lease in October and got a new job out of state this December so learning how to best navigate.

Old 12-09-2020, 02:21 PM

The landlord agreed to let me out of the lease and keep the security. I accepted it.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:39 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,746,875 times
Good self-advocacy. We tenants need to hold the line on this BS.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:28 PM

6,693 posts, read 6,047,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1010 View Post
The landlord agreed to let me out of the lease and keep the security. I accepted it.
Hey that’s great! Did you take random’s advice?

Old 12-15-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Hey that’s great! Did you take random’s advice?
I provided a doctor's letter and told them I’m willing to forfeit the security deposit.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:30 PM

21 posts, read 19,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink snake View Post
The management company wants $7796 from me to move out. Two months' rent (60 day notice) and two months rent as a penalty fee. It's a Brookfield property so I assume they'd sue me if I didn't pay up.
Hi! I know this is a super old post, but how did you end up waiving the fee for the brookfield property? I am currently in a lottery apartment with brookfield, and won another brookfield lottery apartment that is much better. I am hoping to break my lease to move there without paying any penalty.

Old 08-11-2023, 08:41 AM

15 posts, read 14,081 times
I'm in the same boat right now trying to leave a Brookfield property. Anyone have any success avoiding all the extra fees?

Old 03-13-2024, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink snake View Post
Check PMs.
Hi pink snake, a few years late to this thread but would you be able to share how you navigated the situation of breaking a lease with Brookfield? I'm living in a Brookfield property and am in need of some advise for leaving the apartment ahead of term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery