Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 11:43 PM

5 posts, read 2,897 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I have just been notified to submit my documents for this iAfford building. It's absolutely beautiful but I am not sure if I am crazy for paying $2,150 a month for a 1br IF I am hopefully given this apartment. Has anyone dealt with an iAfford building? How was it like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2020, 07:18 AM

62 posts, read 78,291 times
I love Riverdale especially that area, but I would be concerned about traffic noise from the parkway. Have you been to the area before, sometimes it can get a bit loud? I think $2150 is not horrible for the area.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:36 PM

16 posts, read 15,686 times
hello! im dealing with iafford right now as I was selected for an apartment in ONE LIC. they are the first marketing agency i've ever worked with but just based on reading the threads on this forum, i can tell that iafford is actually one of the good ones. they are super responsive and flexible!

Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar.munoz820 View Post
I love Riverdale especially that area, but I would be concerned about traffic noise from the parkway. Have you been to the area before, sometimes it can get a bit loud? I think $2150 is not horrible for the area.
I know of riverdale but have not been there in a while. I reside in the South Bronx... been here all my life.
People are just telling me that price is crazy for just a 1 bedroom so I’m up in the air

Old 09-24-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhopeful View Post
hello! im dealing with iafford right now as I was selected for an apartment in ONE LIC. they are the first marketing agency i've ever worked with but just based on reading the threads on this forum, i can tell that iafford is actually one of the good ones. they are super responsive and flexible!
I’ve called iAfford a bunch of times and they are very responsive and I’m submitting my
documents via their portal and it seems easy I love it.

Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 AM

62 posts, read 78,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPAAAA View Post
I know of Riverdale but have not been there in a while. I reside in the South Bronx... been here all my life.
People are just telling me that price is crazy for just a 1 bedroom so I’m up in the air

The area is really calm and safe to me that's worth the price. I believe the rent is very high, but its because they are basing it on the income of people in the area which is pretty high. My boss lives in riverdale she has a condo and pays about 3k for her mortgage and about 2K in condo fees. She has a three bedroom apartment on palisade ave that is about 5 mins away driving. I don't know if this helps you with price comparisons. The only con for me is public transit, I feel like depending where you work that might be an issue.

Old 09-24-2020, 08:15 AM

27 posts, read 29,862 times
I live in the area and it really is a nice neighborhood. The price is comparable to other new(ish) developments in the area. Like someone said earlier it is very close to the highway. The building is on the service road adjacent to the highway, but the highway is very close and a bit noisy. When you go to see the unit, make note of the noise levels inside the unit. I believe there is a bus stop in front of the building, which is convenient, but may also be an additional source of noise if the unit faces the highway. Unfortunately, i wasn't able to apply to this lottery because of the cost but congratulations to those who have been selected!

Old 09-24-2020, 09:58 AM

4,793 posts, read 6,623,234 times
Quote:
The area is really calm and safe to me that's worth the price. I believe the rent is very high, but its because they are basing it on the income of people in the area which is pretty high. My boss lives in riverdale she has a condo and pays about 3k for her mortgage and about 2K in condo fees. She has a three bedroom apartment on palisade ave that is about 5 mins away driving. I don't know if this helps you with price comparisons. The only con for me is public transit, I feel like depending where you work that might be an issue.
I just want to point out that the rents for this lottery and all lotteries are not "based on the income of people in the neighborhood."

Lottery rents are based on the area's AMI, which is calculated according to the income of people in the five NYC boroughs plus Westchester, Rockland, and Putnam counties.

So someone in Chappaqua and someone in the South Bronx would have the same AMI.

Many people consider it unfair that the incomes of people in three generally affluent suburbs is included in "NYC" AMI. So if it seems that these rents are high, that's probably the reason.

Now, it may also be true that the lottery developments in Riverdale tend to be for the higher income brackets, such as 130% of AMI or 165% of AMI.

Here's more info in case you're curious:

https://www.6sqft.com/area-median-in...ts-calculated/

Old 09-24-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I actually work around grand central... what trains are around that area? Would my commute be long?

Old 09-26-2020, 02:06 PM

15 posts, read 24,182 times
The rent also deterred me from applying. The only trains that are close by are the 1 train and the metro north, but you would have to take a bus to either station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: