Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 04:55 PM

15 posts, read 80,439 times

Advertisements

Hi folks, I've been lurking on this forum for months now and finally decided to create an account. The knowledge sharing that goes on here is super helpful and continues to keep me motivated as I apply to housing.

Now, here's my situation:

On March 15, housconnect2_0@hpd.nyc.gov sent me an email requesting documents for a bldg in Queens. I sent the documents a few days later as I didn't immediately have all of my paperwork together. On April 8, I received a call from a property manager over at Reside New York letting me know that studios at the building I applied to were all gone but that I qualified for a 1 br and if I was interested. I said yes and she noted that the 6 pay stubs I had sent were off (that is because I got a raise recently). She sent me an employment verification form for my job to fill out which I did and sent right back to her.

The same day, 4/8, I was contacted by the property manager who said I could come view the apartment on April 9th which I did. When I got there 2 other people were there and one was missing. I was so bummed as I thought I'd be the only one there. I learned from the person who conducted the viewing that I was #3 on some list and that another person who was at the viewing was #2. #1 hadn't shown up. My hopes were way down after I learned I was #3 because #2 seemed super interested in the unit.

Fast forward to the person who I'm working with at Reside NY asking me for clarification on some of the banking statements I sent in which was kind of annoying since I sent them absolutely everything. I asked the person working with me how much of a sure thing this unit was since I was jumping through hoops to get paperwork from years back. She said the apartment was 100% mine pending approval from HPD and that the other folks who were in front of me on the aforementioned list were "non-responsive". Next thing I knew I was signing a 14 page PDF document confirming my assets, amongst other things.

On 4/13 the person from Reside NY said my papers were submitted to HPD for approval and that we could expect to receive approval in 5-7 business days as that had been their experience with other affordable applicants in the bldg. It has now been a week and some change later and I've probably gotten 5 hours of sleep thinking about all of this and constantly checking the housing website. It's taken so long that while waiting, I have been asked to submit documents to 3 other housing lotteries I applied for.

I would love the apartment but what is taking so long? Could they be showing it to other folks? The last I heard from the person at Reside NY after I followed up for the 1000th time was that they emailed the deputy director and they are hoping to hear back good results shortly.

What is going on? The property manager of the building had even scheduled a tentative lease signing with me which is now tentatively rescheduled. They even outlined the lease terms (starting MAY 1) and told me how the payment would be accepted for 1st months rent and security via email.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 05:07 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
Friend. I know how anxiety-inducing this process is, but they said 5-7 business days, and it's been...9. Take a deep breath. You are definitely at the very last stage of approval. Probably someone went on vacation this week.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 16,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by up212town View Post
Hi folks, I've been lurking on this forum for months now and finally decided to create an account. The knowledge sharing that goes on here is super helpful and continues to keep me motivated as I apply to housing.

Now, here's my situation:

On March 15, housconnect2_0@hpd.nyc.gov sent me an email requesting documents for a bldg in Queens. I sent the documents a few days later as I didn't immediately have all of my paperwork together. On April 8, I received a call from a property manager over at Reside New York letting me know that studios at the building I applied to were all gone but that I qualified for a 1 br and if I was interested. I said yes and she noted that the 6 pay stubs I had sent were off (that is because I got a raise recently). She sent me an employment verification form for my job to fill out which I did and sent right back to her.

The same day, 4/8, I was contacted by the property manager who said I could come view the apartment on April 9th which I did. When I got there 2 other people were there and one was missing. I was so bummed as I thought I'd be the only one there. I learned from the person who conducted the viewing that I was #3 on some list and that another person who was at the viewing was #2. #1 hadn't shown up. My hopes were way down after I learned I was #3 because #2 seemed super interested in the unit.

Fast forward to the person who I'm working with at Reside NY asking me for clarification on some of the banking statements I sent in which was kind of annoying since I sent them absolutely everything. I asked the person working with me how much of a sure thing this unit was since I was jumping through hoops to get paperwork from years back. She said the apartment was 100% mine pending approval from HPD and that the other folks who were in front of me on the aforementioned list were "non-responsive". Next thing I knew I was signing a 14 page PDF document confirming my assets, amongst other things.

On 4/13 the person from Reside NY said my papers were submitted to HPD for approval and that we could expect to receive approval in 5-7 business days as that had been their experience with other affordable applicants in the bldg. It has now been a week and some change later and I've probably gotten 5 hours of sleep thinking about all of this and constantly checking the housing website. It's taken so long that while waiting, I have been asked to submit documents to 3 other housing lotteries I applied for.

I would love the apartment but what is taking so long? Could they be showing it to other folks? The last I heard from the person at Reside NY after I followed up for the 1000th time was that they emailed the deputy director and they are hoping to hear back good results shortly.

What is going on? The property manager of the building had even scheduled a tentative lease signing with me which is now tentatively rescheduled. They even outlined the lease terms (starting MAY 1) and told me how the payment would be accepted for 1st months rent and security via email.

Has anyone experienced something similar? What gives?
Hello, I’m in the same boat as you with Reside but for a apartment in Bushwick. My file has been sent to HPD for approval and although it was only sent on Monday the 19th the anxiety is killing me!! Pray we both get a response by sometime next week. All the best

Old 04-23-2021, 05:27 PM

Thank you LOL! I will try to enjoy my weekend. My application status actually just went from "Under Review" to "Review Complete". It says: Your application review is complete. The marketing agent will contact you with more instructions. Of course it's after 5:30pm so I know no one will contact me. Do folks receive emails once they've been approved? The application is still under the "In Process" umbrella too. It didn't move over to "Complete"

Old 04-23-2021, 05:29 PM

Keeping you in my thoughts this weekend. I hope you get it. My application status actually just went from "Under Review" to "Review Complete" about 15 mins ago, oddly enough. Would you happen to know if folks receive emails once they've been approved? The application is still under the "In Process" umbrella on the Housing Connect site. It didn't move over to "Complete" which worries me. Anyway, best of luck to you! Enjoy a restful weekend.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:36 PM

200 posts, read 219,103 times
HPD appeared effected by network outage last week

Old 04-23-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotWhatUsedToBe View Post
HPD appeared effected by network outage last week
Thanks so much for your response!

Old 04-27-2021, 06:50 PM

9 posts, read 22,121 times
The apartment is yous mines took about 2 weeks for approvel.

Old 04-29-2021, 04:20 PM

290 posts, read 274,434 times
What is with HPD? They tell you to email them and then they never get back to you and if you call their telephone number you get a machine and no one ever calls you back. Is there some magic way of contacting these people to ensure a reply?

Old 04-29-2021, 04:58 PM

200 posts, read 219,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by village native View Post
What is with HPD? They tell you to email them and then they never get back to you and if you call their telephone number you get a machine and no one ever calls you back. Is there some magic way of contacting these people to ensure a reply?
seems 2 biz days callback these days. Be ready with your address, and exact question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery