Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2022, 02:19 PM

290 posts, read 319,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
I think it’s because of your cb but she said 110% and 140 are a preference and are being called first
Wow , that’s hella shady lol. Not sure how I feel about that. Well, I’m just grateful that I was given the opportunity despite my AMI and I will not question this blessing. Unfortunately, this kind of politics occurs all within the lottery system - especially in specific neighborhoods. It’s a sad reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 02:21 PM

168 posts, read 195,023 times
@LexyStarr - Thank you for the update. So now they are considering the higher AMI's (Sorry if i'm asking what you answered already) just looking for clarity. I have CB pref and fall into 2 AMI's 70% and 110%. They are no longer caller the lower AMI's?

Your response is appreciated.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I think it’s because of your cb but she said 110% and 140 are a preference and are being called first
I’m assuming they are doing this once all preferences are called? Idk man. This process is Just so peculiar.

Old 04-25-2022, 02:34 PM

182 posts, read 222,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebvndy View Post
I’m assuming they are doing this once all preferences are called? Idk man. This process is Just so peculiar.
For CB is it just same zip code?

Old 04-25-2022, 03:26 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom81 View Post
I don’t recommend making that assumption.

Certainly many people with the same zip code live in the same CB, but it seems likely to me there are exceptions. You owe it yourself to learn what CB you live in. Call 311 or go to NYC.gov. The lottery people are unlikely to help you and it’s not their job until you come close to being called.

If you know who your City Councilor is call that office.

Knowledge is power. If you know your CB you will understand better why or why not your log# has been called.

The lottery people have very little motivation to explain the instructions to you. There is no percentage in it. There is not a financial reason to offer customer service.

The street address of an applicant’s residence on an application determines what CB it is in. The lottery people are suppose to figure it out from there. If you have doubts about your address consult with the post office.

Zip codes were established to make the mail more efficient. They don’t have anything to do with community or local government.

The City of New York is divided into fifty-nine geographic community districts, served by a local rep. body known as a Community Board. Each Community Board is composed of up to fifty unsalaried individuals who either live in or have an interest in the community, selected to serve on the board by the Borough President or local City Council representatives.

Good luck and good patience.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:30 PM

182 posts, read 222,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
I don’t recommend making that assumption.

Certainly many people with the same zip code live in the same CB, but it seems likely to me there are exceptions. You owe it yourself to learn what CB you live in. Call 311 or go to NYC.gov. The lottery people are unlikely to help you and it’s not their job until you come close to being called.

If you know who your City Councilor is call that office.

Knowledge is power. If you know your CB you will understand better why or why not your log# has been called.

The lottery people have very little motivation to explain the instructions to you. There is no percentage in it. There is not a financial reason to offer customer service.

The street address of an applicant’s residence on an application determines what CB it is in. The lottery people are suppose to figure it out from there. If you have doubts about your address consult with the post office.

Zip codes were established to make the mail more efficient. They don’t have anything to do with community or local government.

The City of New York is divided into fifty-nine geographic community districts, served by a local rep. body known as a Community Board. Each Community Board is composed of up to fifty unsalaried individuals who either live in or have an interest in the community, selected to serve on the board by the Borough President or local City Council representatives.

Good luck and good patience.
Great info thank you! Honestly I've never heard of community board before so wasn't sure if it went by zip or county area or the like. Ill be looking into it just so I know what all it entails.

Old 04-25-2022, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busymom81 View Post

Community board is just the neighborhoods that share the same community board. You can look up where you live and see which community board you are currently in. Apex is within community board 406. 50% if the units go to community board residents. So, I live within the same community board so I had preference. I also have ME (city worker) preference. 5% of the units will be reserved for folks with ME preference. I had a high chance because I had both CB and ME preference and my log number was 2,0XX (somewhat decent log #)

Old 04-25-2022, 03:41 PM

726 posts, read 807,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS6777 View Post
@LexyStarr - Thank you for the update. So now they are considering the higher AMI's (Sorry if i'm asking what you answered already) just looking for clarity. I have CB pref and fall into 2 AMI's 70% and 110%. They are no longer caller the lower AMI's?

Your response is appreciated.
They will be calling all AMI’s just at this time they are calling the higher ones. If you have cb you should’ve been called before me since I’m general population regardless of my income

Old 04-25-2022, 03:44 PM

726 posts, read 807,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebvndy View Post
Wow , that’s hella shady lol. Not sure how I feel about that. Well, I’m just grateful that I was given the opportunity despite my AMI and I will not question this blessing. Unfortunately, this kind of politics occurs all within the lottery system - especially in specific neighborhoods. It’s a sad reality.
Listen you got your blessing and like I stated I now qualify for 140% ami so I could send them the new updated paperwork which shows income changes from when I was first contacted. But I just feel lik these are some shady ass ppl managing this building and i might bypass the entire process. Only thing is wat apartments does the 140% get that’s my curiosity

Old 04-25-2022, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Listen you got your blessing and like I stated I now qualify for 140% ami so I could send them the new updated paperwork which shows income changes from when I was first contacted. But I just feel lik these are some shady ass ppl managing this building and i might bypass the entire process. Only thing is wat apartments does the 140% get that’s my curiosity
Yeah, I understand. I respect and agree with your morality but to play devils advocate…If I were you I would submit the paperwork and see how it goes just off the strength that you can go with another apartment and they can be doing the same exact shady business. The apartment is beautiful. For 50% AMI for apartment Is gorgeous so I can only imagine what it would be like for 140% I know for a fact you guys get those walk in closets as shown on the website (which I did not). Honestly, I don’t think it’s just this management company, I think many of these management agencies can be just as shady as well. Like I truly believe this whole lottery system has its flaws and inequities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery