Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 05:45 PM

20 posts, read 19,144 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Today I got notified that my application for the apartment I apply for was rejected due over income. I need to know a couple things and also steps in order to ensure the information HPD has is accurate:

- Beside salary wages, any type of deposit (outside of wages, ie: insurance money and mobile payments) is counted as income and added for the final result?
- Is there any way I can receive an official letter with the calculation HPD did to review?
- Is appealing worth it?

Hope I can get some help on this.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 07:04 PM

136 posts, read 116,188 times
Appealing is worth it esp if you can prove that their calculations are incorrect. It happened with a friend of mine because when they requested his stubs it included a series of holiday pay all coming through at the same time (xmas and NY) so they included that amount in their estimation of his income. That was not a normal paycheck for him and he was able to prove it so he was approved and is quiet happy in his new home.
Just be mindful of getting in all the information within the time frame they give you and make sure you check your figures. Always make sure you check your figures and theirs you do not want to go over or go under, I get paid bimonthly but the standard is every 2 weeks they had multiplied mine by the standard and I am bimonthly so of course my income was more than it should have been when you multiply it by 26 weeks instead of 24 weeks granted I would love to have that extra two weeks for sure.

This has been posted a few times across this website look at it and it will give you a lot of information
https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...dbook-8-21.pdf

Old 11-16-2021, 07:33 PM

22 posts, read 26,452 times
you can most definitely appeal and should! income calculation can be subjective but that's typically determined at the marketing agent level before they send it to HPD for approval - agree with Draconyte. I've had back and forth with the marketing agents on two separate opportunities on my income and referenced the marketing handbook (linked above by Draconyte) on income calculation for them to recalculate/accept my appeal.

YT video on appeals that I found helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fT509gFs-Y

Old 11-17-2021, 05:58 PM

4,770 posts, read 6,560,761 times
Mobile payments can be counted as income. But usually, they ask you to explain any deposits that aren’t a paycheck, and you should be given the opportunity to say, “My mom was paying me back because I paid for our fancy lunch,” etc.

What kind of insurance was deposited?

When you get rejected they are supposed to be specific about the reason, so press them for details.

Have you read through the Marketing Handbook? It explains how income is calculated.

Old 11-17-2021, 11:55 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,026,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
Mobile payments can be counted as income. But usually, they ask you to explain any deposits that aren’t a paycheck, and you should be given the opportunity to say, “My mom was paying me back because I paid for our fancy lunch,” etc.

What kind of insurance was deposited?

When you get rejected they are supposed to be specific about the reason, so press them for details.

Have you read through the Marketing Handbook? It explains how income is calculated.
This happened to me with Venmo. I usually pay for restaurant bills with my friends (back before the pandemic), and they have paid me back with this application. When the lottery people saw these transfers into my bank account - which were pretty excessive, they asked me to print out my Venmo statements and luckily for me, my friends had posted, "for restaurant", "for drinks", "for Uber" etc., and the lottery people actually accepted it and didn't question it further.

So I do think think that the OP should absolutely appeal. Good luck!

Old 11-19-2021, 09:03 PM

Hi everyone and thank you so much for the help, specially the marketing handbook.

So I did appealed the decision and my application went from appeal under review > application under review > review complete and say’s: “your application review is complete, your marketing agent will contact you for further instructions”.

Does anyone knows what this means and what I should expect?

Old 11-20-2021, 06:14 AM

79 posts, read 76,953 times
Usually mean you are approved. Fingers crossed

Old 11-20-2021, 04:53 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
I *think* that means your appeal was successful. That still doesn't necessarily mean you're getting the apartment. But it means you cleared the hurdle of being incorrectly rejected.

Good work on the self-advocacy!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:13 AM

Hi everyone,

Just a quick update.

My appeal was successful and I’m now in lease signing process!

Thank you everyone for your help and advice specially on appealing the rejection!

Old 11-22-2021, 10:15 AM

164 posts, read 193,300 times
Congratulations!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: