Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2022, 12:39 PM

178 posts, read 242,190 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone know traditionally how much buildings charge for the use of their amenities? The building I am currently waiting HPD approval from has shared laundry, library, media room, gym and assigned parking spots; housing connect did mention parking spots have an additional fee; so just wondering about the price and if there would also be a fee for the other amenities as well. Anyone know where I might be able to find out?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2022, 12:42 PM

292 posts, read 271,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
Hi, does anyone know traditionally how much buildings charge for the use of their amenities? The building I am currently waiting HPD approval from has shared laundry, library, media room, gym and assigned parking spots; housing connect did mention parking spots have an additional fee; so just wondering about the price and if there would also be a fee for the other amenities as well. Anyone know where I might be able to find out?

Thanks in advance!
Each building is different. There are buildings we show that have no amenity fees and there are some that charge $40/month for the gym, $25 bike storage, etc. It depends what the owner agrees to. To add to that, I'd say a majority of them are no fee.

Last edited by brittanyv616; 02-09-2022 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 02-09-2022, 12:48 PM

Thanks so much for your response! I appreciate it. I will just have to be patient and find out if and when I get a call from the developer for the viewing. But it is helpful to know there might not be fees for the other amenities (maybe just the gym??) lol. I can't imagine them charging for a library, but it's NYC, you never know lol.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 10,496 times
In the lottery building I live in (which is entirely made up of affordable units), I think the annual amenity fee is about $120. I'm not absolutely certain of the price because I opted out. The laundry room is free to access. The bike storage is a separate fee of $15/month.

In the building I'm moving into (which has a mix of affordable and market units), the monthly amenity fee is $50. Bike storage and access to the laundry room are free. I'll be opting out of the amenities there as well.

Old 02-09-2022, 12:53 PM

292 posts, read 271,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueensMom02 View Post
Thanks so much for your response! I appreciate it. I will just have to be patient and find out if and when I get a call from the developer for the viewing. But it is helpful to know there might not be fees for the other amenities (maybe just the gym??) lol. I can't imagine them charging for a library, but it's NYC, you never know lol.
This is true. NYC after all! What building are you referring to that you applied for?

Old 02-09-2022, 01:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this info Lunchboxferry! I think those prices all sound pretty fair so that gives me hope. I definitely will need parking because I have driven by the building I am hoping to get many times and parking is somewhat limited (lots of meter parking) so I am praying the lot price isn't too crazy. Good luck in your new place!!

Old 02-09-2022, 01:03 PM

Hi again Brittanyv616; It's 82-41 Parson's Blvd, the "T-Building". You know what's funny is I used to do trainings in this building years ago when they didn't know what to do with the run down hospital building lol. When I saw it on the site I knew it looked familiar so I clicked on the email and was surprised it was in fact the old hospital building being converted to residential lol. I hadn't applied to any apartment in years but this prompted me to do so, being very close to where I live and here we are,... hopefully the finish line and some good news near by.

Old 02-09-2022, 07:34 PM

3,130 posts, read 2,724,468 times
For my building, it's about $30/mo. for the package. Since there's a gym, it's a decent value. I would expect that parking spots would be separate, since many people won't have cars.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:43 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Amenities are where buildings can make money. That and some are worth more to certain people than others. At moment ensuite laundry appliances and doormen are what many will pay more in rent per month to have.

https://www.6sqft.com/how-much-do-am...prices-in-nyc/

As it relates to this forum since these "low income/affordable" units are rent regulated, whatever amenity exists when initial lease is signed pretty much becomes permanent. If landlord takes something away tenant likely will be entitled to decrease in rent for loss of a service or services.

In push to ensure "low income/affordable" tenants have everything market rate residents do city pushes hard for developers/landlords to keep amenity fees low or reasonable, if not offer things for free. Latest part of that push is as of late last year low income apartments must come with *free* WiFi/internet service.

Old 02-10-2022, 04:08 AM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Parking...

If enough residents don't want to pay many buildings simply offer spaces in garage or whatever on open market. Tons of buildings all over city both sell or rent parking spaces to those who are not residents.

Some of it is yes not everyone has a ride, others however just don't want to pony up that money. They either park on street, or find some other cheaper garage elsewhere. That last option is fast drying up...

Cost of garage or other spots is going up as city has lost tons of garages and parking lots to redevelopment. Those properties were low hanging fruit to developers, and owners got bank in return.

Street parking is becoming more and more difficult between bike lanes, and now those GD outdoor dining sheds.

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/12/us/12parking.html

https://www.brickunderground.com/blo...urious_parking

https://www.amny.com/real-estate/nyc...00-1-10781633/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: