Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 06:07 AM

49 posts, read 42,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yulin82 View Post
zimablue, I want to tell you that part of the units will go to the homeless in the shelter, and I check the surroundings in the building, if your income is 80% of the AMI, pay 1200 dollars for one studio in that surroundings, it is not good. I think you can move to queens or select other buildings, I think one studio for about 800 dollars is good and fair. and the place is not very good too. Good luck to you.
and there are three building in the grand apartments ( located in the 225E, 179th street, 2195 morris avenue, and 220E, 180th st), the last one is 220E, 180th ST, is still not finishing the construction, what is more, the developer and management of the buildings (three) are not in good reputation, if you have to pay a lot of money for one studio, not one bedroom, my suggestion is that you'd better not accept it.
due to part of the units will go to the homeless in shelter with chronic mental diseases.
thanks, this is my advice, I know the buildings very well, and make a lot research for this three buildings. I will give up this chance.

the developer is sucks. it delayed for many times. it is not good for one studio to pay so much money.
But you were initially very interested in living here despite part of the population that will be living here. You recently commented that you would be interested in an apartment for Jerome Avenue Apartments, but that building is also supportive housing.

A lot of buildings in the Bronx have set aside units for formally homeless, families with HIV etc. and people with mental problems. That won't be unique to this building. It will be up to OP to decide if they're willing to gamble on getting called by another lottery in the future (that may or may not have the same population).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 08:58 AM

65 posts, read 57,698 times
LlamaDelRey I understood that there were 8 units in the development that were set aside for free rent but I'm still just stuck on the price they're offering for the studio. My family is saying that the rent may be less after tax credits and subsidies but I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere on this site so that may not be the case for these kinds of apartments. Now I'm still trying to decide if I should be patient and wait for an email update or reach out first and possibly see about them having something else.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:20 AM

86 posts, read 52,303 times
if you like it, please grab it. hope you have good luck. It is really hard to get the affordable house in the city. hope you everything well. thanks.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:34 AM

The 8 units aren't actually free rent unless a person has zero income. Those 8 units are set aside for very low income families who applied through the lottery. Their rent will be 30% of their income with the rest of the rent paid by HPD/Section 8 (PBV). The Section 8 is tied to the unit but after 1 year of living in the unit, the family can request to port out and go on the section 8 waiting list as a transfer (since the list is technically closed). These families will have their rent reduced by a utility grant which is usually around a $100 credit. These units are the only ones where the rent will vary and subject to an additional reduction. All other units in the building have a flat rent.

What @Yulin82 and I are speaking about are the additional units in the building that will be going to people who did not apply through the lottery but are being placed there by different social service agencies including the Dept. of Homeless Services etc.. In some buildings, they give 100+ units to this population outside of the units going to lottery winners.

Old 02-14-2022, 10:42 AM

I would reach out to the marketing agent and ask if they have anything else available in a different AMI. I'd even advise calling HPD and asking to speak to the project manager overseeing your building and asking directly if a cheaper studio is available. The worse they can say is no. I'd want you to exhaust all options before passing on the unit.

Getting through the lottery is hard enough. I'd want you to be happy and comfortable when all is said and done.

Old 02-14-2022, 11:52 AM

And lastly about affordability, I noticed the ad said tenant pays electric. For my building, I'm responsible for my heating, cooling, cooking electric and regular electricity since they're all controlled in unit. In some buildings, some tenants pay for hot water. Just something else to fully factor in.

Old 02-14-2022, 12:41 PM

LlamaDelRey, do you happen to know of any Tax Credit thing that would make my rent actually less than what's listed on my paperwork? I do have the Tax Credit box checked off on my TIC but it doesn't really indicate to me what that may mean. I've emailed my agent but she's a little more curt than usual so maybe I will reach out to HPD directly.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:11 PM

Just looked at my TIC, I also have an (x) next to Tax Credit for program type. Assuming it's only indicating the unit is already subsidized with tax credits vs another form of funding or market rate. Even with the tax credit box checked, my rent is exactly what's listed on the ad.

Reach out to HPD, they were more helpful than my agent.

Old 02-14-2022, 01:34 PM

Just got off the phone with them and the basically said because my log number is high and its done in order from first to last, she must have filled the lower AMIs first. I asked from the project manager but however this young lady was just asked me "what's your question?" and for all my info and then answered the questions instead of referring me to anyone else. I will continue applying to other lotteries, I honestly don't even think my log number was that high but guess I was wrong.

Old 02-14-2022, 03:59 PM

86 posts, read 52,303 times
Hope you good luck and get the apartment. pray for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery