Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 07:46 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,410,522 times

Advertisements

Ultimately though the more people who apply the lesser of a chance an individual has of winning. In 2018 the odds of winning were 1 in 500 which honestly isn’t bad. Now with all the advertising and social media spread about the lottery many more people know about this year then before. Which ultimately decreases your chances of winning. The plus side is that there are more affordable housing options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 07:46 PM

726 posts, read 814,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
They also send text messages and email as invites to apply. I received several text messages to apply to Sven. When I click on the link on the text message it sends me to the main Sven advertising site. But the link to actually apply lands at the housing connect site.
Oh see I opted out a text notification so I never knew they do this

Old 02-23-2022, 07:47 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,665,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
When housing connect allows ppl to input no address.
It’s only my guess, but I suppose when an application without an address comes up it’s flagged. It’s hard to imagine it would get very far without a demand for an address.

Likewise, Applicants don’t have to upload documents initially. But any such application that gets called in a lottery will demand documents be submitted when it is called. If documents are not submitted, the application will not proceed.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,845,877 times
I second this!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
It’s only my guess, but I suppose when an application without an address comes up it’s flagged. It’s hard to imagine it would get very far without a demand for an address.

Likewise, Applicants don’t have to upload documents initially. But any such application that gets called in a lottery will demand documents be submitted when it is called. If documents are not submitted, the application will not proceed.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:51 PM

Quote:

You have to put your address when you make an account. This is how those with CB know you qualify for it.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:52 PM

Homeless applicants wouldn’t have an address so they can’t really flag an applicant for no address even if someone is residing in a shelter and the property isn’t the ones having select apartments for city referrals, they won’t deny someone or throw them back for no address. My thoughts is that they would continue the process to see if that person is eligible no, I could be wrong but that would be considered a discrimination

Old 02-23-2022, 07:53 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,665,076 times
Quote:
On the address page there is literally a box you can check that say I have no address. Maybe you haven’t seen it but I saw it a few days ago when I had to update my address.
One nice part about that is it allows NYers who are homeless to participate. I am uncertain if a shelter can be claimed as a legal address.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Homeless applicants wouldn’t have an address so they can’t really flag an applicant for no address even if someone is residing in a shelter and the property isn’t the ones having select apartments for city referrals, they won’t deny someone or throw them back for no address. My thoughts is that they would continue the process to see if that person is eligible no, I could be wrong but that would be considered a discrimination
When you make an account it asks you if you are residing in a shelter/public housing or not. Right where they ask for your address. I only know because I helped a friend make an account recently.

Old 02-23-2022, 07:55 PM

Under household summary it says “NO CURRENT LIVING ADDRESS” I just went back to look. But honestly I wasn’t doing this to discuss addresses. I really only want to discuss how we felt with the new changes and how they would draw more attention

Old 02-23-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
One nice part about that is it allows NYers who are homeless to participate. I am uncertain if a shelter can be claimed as a legal address.
I think this is why they added the option, truthfully. When I worked in a shelter our clients weren’t allowed to use the facility as their legal address but they could use it as a mailing address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: