Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 07:59 PM

170 posts, read 168,025 times

Advertisements

On Tiktok there is literally a young woman who is an Atlanta Georgia transplant who won and has an a lottery apartment currently. Not sure if she won it from streeteasy but she got it. So there’s that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 08:02 PM

726 posts, read 807,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celialexington View Post
On Tiktok there is literally a young woman who is an Atlanta Georgia transplant who won and has an a lottery apartment currently. Not sure if she won it from streeteasy but she got it. So there’s that.
She can’t win thru streeteasy, but she could’ve found out about it on streeteasy wow

Old 02-23-2022, 08:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
I literally only asked “thoughts on the new advertising”
We can all like it or all hate it, or some of each. Whatever. It’s allowed. Someone posted about it decreases chances with more people applying. I agree. However, like an election it has to be announced, and once announced other people are allowed to announce it again.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:05 PM

89 posts, read 95,674 times
They've been doing this for a while. A lot of re-rentals and other income-restricted apartments are listed on Streeteasy as they churn through these log numbers for the higher AMIs it does make sense for them to advertise to more people so they have fewer empty units in the long run. I do think the 266 Kent and the Hunter's Point South advertising is a bit overkill though it's been months of them spamming Streeteasy ngl. But you can easily look up "affordable housing NYC" and find the lottery websites for these buildings that's how I found 310 Livingston and Brooklyn Crossing before they were even live on Housing Connect, that doesn't mean anyone has a better chance over anyone else. They're just advertising as they have every right to do. But in general, you'll always have more competition for these buildings anyways which is why I feel like you can have more success with small building lotteries.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:10 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
It has been an issue in the past for them to fill the units with high AMIs to the point that there were so many empty units with no one wanting to go through the process (mainly high AMIs) that they started housing homeless people in these vacant apartments which isn’t bad but is very telling. I posted about this in another thread there’s a whole article about it so I get what they are trying to do in that aspect but it won’t solve their problem. People who make a high AMI are basically paying the same if they went through Zillow etc to look for apartments and with less of a hassle.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:18 PM

412 posts, read 593,519 times
I understand where the op is coming from. It's frustrating. It makes sense from the developer's prospective to advertise as much as possible but this goes back to the issue I have with affordable housing in general. There just aren't enough for the truly low income New Yorkers regardless if they advertise on streeteasy. Why don't they have more advertisements in different languages? Provide more help for seniors? I mean once you start the application process it's tough if you don't have a 9 to 5 job with a W2. The point is that this whole thing isn't truly to provide housing for in need New Yorkers.
Eric Adams recently made a comment about providing more affordable housing but if it's the same spiel as the previous administration I doubt that'll change. There will be more in higher AMI with higher rent and they'll advertise more because nobody wants to pay the rent.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:26 PM

89 posts, read 95,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celialexington View Post
lol I know who you are talking about and she lived in NYC for a couple of years before she won her apartment just like any other person. Every Tiktoker who has won has gone into DETAIL about how they won the lottery and no one is coming from out of state and winning like that I promise you.

Old 02-23-2022, 08:29 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnt2dh View Post
I understand where the op is coming from. It's frustrating. It makes sense from the developer's prospective to advertise as much as possible but this goes back to the issue I have with affordable housing in general. There just aren't enough for the truly low income New Yorkers regardless if they advertise on streeteasy. Why don't they have more advertisements in different languages? Provide more help for seniors? I mean once you start the application process it's tough if you don't have a 9 to 5 job with a W2. The point is that this whole thing isn't truly to provide housing for in need New Yorkers.
Eric Adams recently made a comment about providing more affordable housing but if it's the same spiel as the previous administration I doubt that'll change. There will be more in higher AMI with higher rent and they'll advertise more because nobody wants to pay the rent.
Yup I 100% agreed! Affordable housing has become less and less affordable. The only initiative these new developers have for even doing this is the tax break they get which helps them pay for the “luxury” building they are developing . If they didn’t have this tax break they wouldn’t even consider offering rent for anything close to market value because it simply wouldn’t be worth it to them. Which brings me to a thread I recently came across which was discussing an affordable housing apartment building being foreclosed on.

Old 02-24-2022, 10:38 AM

153 posts, read 180,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexyStarr View Post
So I’ve notice a few different lotteries being advertised on street easy now that out of state applications are being accepted. This is truly giving me a migraine and the way this process will turn out in the future may not work out for low incomes New Yorkers new or old. Any thoughts on this new form of advertising?

I reported these kent ave listings... clogging up the search and misleading information... Its actually getting ridiculous now.

Im being petty for reporting, i know. but someone has to pay attention

Old 02-24-2022, 10:46 AM

153 posts, read 180,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmoregal View Post
ultimately though the more people who apply the lesser of a chance an individual has of winning. In 2018 the odds of winning were 1 in 500 which honestly isn’t bad. Now with all the advertising and social media spread about the lottery many more people know about this year then before. Which ultimately decreases your chances of winning. The plus side is that there are more affordable housing options.
exactly!! Just clogging up the process and making it take longer than necessary!

Last edited by LuxurySeeker34; 02-24-2022 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: