Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2022, 02:03 PM

53 posts, read 46,843 times

Advertisements

Okay, thank you. Yes, I'm a city employee. I've been applying for years as well. I know it's so frustrating. Fingers crossed, that you're called for this one or another one soon. Ami's are also so frustrating. I wish I could apply with my boyfriend, but we don't currently live together. Good luck, to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2022, 09:34 PM

2 posts, read 1,973 times
My log number is 54xxx with CB preference and my bf's is 3xxx with CB preference. He's definitely getting called. Me not so much, sadly. Ah well...

Old 05-03-2022, 02:43 AM

92 posts, read 79,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
Seeing people comment log #'s in the 100s and still being interested in the building is making me feel like my chances are even lower of securing an apartment here . Not to mean that I'm not happy for the others, I love seeing others win, but it also sucks to constantly lose out.
I know how you feel. I had log numbers 30k+, but I still kept going. Your mind is so powerful, so it's important that you keep being positive. Allow yourself to feel down for a few minutes and move on. A lot of the apartments I felt disheartened by because I got a high log number for, don't even look as appealing anymore. After more and better apartments came online you see better ones with lower rent, better features etc. Also, you never know; you can still have a chance of winning a unit here.

Here's how I think of it. None of us want this specific apartment. We just want to live in a beautiful home with the cheapest rent we can afford. This apartment just so happens to check the box, but there are many many more to come that will check the box. If you don't get it, there will be many more opportunities to get it. I truly believe that every single one of us will win at least one if we keep going. It's just a matter of WHEN.

Best of luck to you! Regardless if you win a unit here or not, I know you'll win one!

Old 05-03-2022, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoneb View Post
Okay, thank you. Yes, I'm a city employee. I've been applying for years as well. I know it's so frustrating. Fingers crossed, that you're called for this one or another one soon. Ami's are also so frustrating. I wish I could apply with my boyfriend, but we don't currently live together. Good luck, to everyone!
I'm still pretty new to this, so someone correct me if i'm wrong****

You can apply with your boyfriend. A household is not the person you currently live with. It's about who you plan to live with. If you want to live with your boyfriend, then apply together by adding him as part of your household.

Last edited by kpower; 05-03-2022 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: To add a disclaimer

Old 05-03-2022, 07:14 AM

8 posts, read 5,287 times
Wink Progress?!

Hey Everyone!! My log number is 34xx and i am a City Employee. Anyone knows if they started reaching out to people for interviews yet!? I kinda have some hope for this one. Best of luck to us!!!

Old 05-03-2022, 09:21 AM

333 posts, read 258,675 times
If I'm not mistaken, if city employees have 5% preference (assuming that means 5% of available apartments are reserved for city workers), then that only leaves 12 apartments out of the 248. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And this is not to speak negativity into the air, but to get some clarification.

Old 05-03-2022, 09:22 AM

333 posts, read 258,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
I know how you feel. I had log numbers 30k+, but I still kept going. Your mind is so powerful, so it's important that you keep being positive. Allow yourself to feel down for a few minutes and move on. A lot of the apartments I felt disheartened by because I got a high log number for, don't even look as appealing anymore. After more and better apartments came online you see better ones with lower rent, better features etc. Also, you never know; you can still have a chance of winning a unit here.

Here's how I think of it. None of us want this specific apartment. We just want to live in a beautiful home with the cheapest rent we can afford. This apartment just so happens to check the box, but there are many many more to come that will check the box. If you don't get it, there will be many more opportunities to get it. I truly believe that every single one of us will win at least one if we keep going. It's just a matter of WHEN.

Best of luck to you! Regardless if you win a unit here or not, I know you'll win one!
Everything you've said is true. Thank you so much for the positivity!

Old 05-04-2022, 05:52 AM

21 posts, read 24,670 times
32XXX log, have they started calling on this one?

Old 05-04-2022, 07:29 AM

31,963 posts, read 27,110,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpower View Post
I'm still pretty new to this, so someone correct me if i'm wrong****

You can apply with your boyfriend. A household is not the person you currently live with. It's about who you plan to live with. If you want to live with your boyfriend, then apply together by adding him as part of your household.
Household size is determined by number of persons *at time of application*. This information is provided in profile created at start of process. If at anytime composition of household changes, then that profile must be updated.

Who someone "plans" to live with doesn't enter into lottery process. If someone is single and dating, but "plans" to get married in future, until that happens they only qualify for units designated for one person. This could be a studio or one bedroom apartment.

Old 05-05-2022, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevie123 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, if city employees have 5% preference (assuming that means 5% of available apartments are reserved for city workers), then that only leaves 12 apartments out of the 248. Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

And this is not to speak negativity into the air, but to get some clarification.
No problem

And to clarify your statement. Yes you are right. Think of it like there are 12 applications that could "skip" the order of log numbers. Based on the marketing handbook, they pull out all applicants with the city employee preference into a new pile separate from the other applicants. Then they call them by the order of their log numbers in this new pile.

I haven't seen this in the handbook, but I've seen someone in this form explain that they were placed back into the general order of log numbers, so I'm guessing after the12 units are filled with "city employee" preference applicants, all remaining city employee applicants will be placed back into the general applicant pile and they will be called based on their log numbers.

Last edited by kpower; 05-05-2022 at 05:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery