Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 01:14 PM

24 posts, read 20,691 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting for the right apartment in The Bronx and in doing so have reevaluated my criteria to include other factors. After seeing nice apartments in both the Grand Concourse and in Riverdale, I'm wondering if there are any other areas in The Bronx where one may find one these very large apartments in a nice building with old/original details. I'm looking for a classic 2 or 3Br / 2Bth with at least 1,500 sqtf

As much as I love The Concourse, the lower part below 167th Street doesn't work for me because I take the train to work and I don't particularly like to be massaged by strangers or have sweaty armpits in my face before 8:AM. I lived at 164th and The Concourse for a month last year and often had to wait for two or three trains to pass by, completely jammed to the tilt. A very unpleasant and non-negotiable peeve of mine.

The Upper Concourse (north of Bedford Park) and Norwood would be ideal, but there's no inventory.

Riverdale doesn't work for me because it's all the way in the West of The Bronx and my family is east of the Concourse. I also need to be close to the Harlem Metro North rail line (Bronx River Parkway). Some of the buildings in Riverdale are impressive and exactly what I'd like, but Riverdale feels like a detached suburb of NYC and if I'm going to do the Suburban life, I'd rather go all out and move out of NYC altogether, an idea I'm not contemplating at this point. Throgs Neck and Country Club are out for the same reasons.

In summary, and knowing full well that The Concourse if famous for its large apartments, I'm wondering if there are any other well kept areas or any other buildings in The Bronx, where one may find premium/very large apartments?

In addition to Bedford Park and Norwood, I particularly like Woodlawn, Bronxwood and anything with the word "Pelham" in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 01:29 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,238,962 times
I live in just such a building in the north central Bronx and all I can say is, you must not be looking very hard because 3 units sold in our building in the last 2 months.

Old 04-11-2016, 02:06 PM

High Iron, thanks for replying. I'm using StreetEasy and I have alerts set for the neighborhoods I mentioned. If you are speaking about the 3br/2bth that sold on 3390 Wayne Avenue in Norwood, I admit I missed that one. If not, please send me a private message directly with the building's address.

Thanks again,
Me

Old 04-11-2016, 03:20 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
My neighborhood, Pelham Pakway, is loaded with "grand " prewar buildings of all kinds with large apartments with original details.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:00 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,806 times
In co-op city the apartments are massive, you might like it there.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:58 AM

9 posts, read 6,633 times
Where ever you is at stay there the Bronx is bad place to live with children..REAL TALK..
Good LUCK.

Old 04-12-2016, 07:04 AM

Mookzie, I'm going to differ with you. There's plenty to do with children in The Bronx and other boroughs are just minutes away. There are hundreds of thousands of children of all ages living there and they are growing up to be normal people, just like you and I.

It starts with us and these baseless misconceptions. The Bronx is a great borough and if and when I find the right apartment, I'm determined to have a good life there for the foreseeable future.

Old 04-12-2016, 04:04 PM

481 posts, read 427,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookzie21 View Post
Where ever you is at stay there the Bronx is bad place to live with children..REAL TALK..
Good LUCK.
I'm not sure what you're basing this on. It's a big borough and painting the entire landmass with a single brushstroke is ignorant.

There are kids everywhere in my neighbourhood, and a huge park with multiple playgrounds at my doorstep. I can't walk two blocks without stepping aside for strollers around here.

There are active "mommy" groups on Facebook for different areas in the Bronx, free library programs for toddlers and teens, and pediatricians working out of and near to the many hospitals based in the Bronx.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dbronx View Post
High Iron, thanks for replying. I'm using StreetEasy and I have alerts set for the neighborhoods I mentioned. If you are speaking about the 3br/2bth that sold on 3390 Wayne Avenue in Norwood, I admit I missed that one. If not, please send me a private message directly with the building's address.

Thanks again,
Me
3390 Wayne is a great building! Almost bought there. It is the building where Chris Hayes (MSNBC host) grew up.

Do you have 190 E Mosholu Parkway and 601 Pelham Parkway on your list ?

Old 04-13-2016, 07:33 AM

3390 has a contract out on a 3Br / 2Br. I spoke to the broker and asked her to have me as backup. I use StreetEasy.com for my alerts and this particular apartment was NOT listed there. A very kind soul from this board send me a link to it and I'm hopeful.

I already had 190 Moshulu and other buildings you have recommended (Thanks again Bluedog). I will now also add 601 Pelham Parkway. Noticed a beautiful 3/2 sold 6 months ago.

Mine will come around.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: