Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2022, 08:55 AM

53 posts, read 50,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahavcara View Post
I agree i g that you need to stand up and say what you want of course. I'm just happy I can move back to where I grew up as a kid and not pay 5k in rent for the time being. I'm not a fool and know that they are getting a HUGE tax break of for this. I also know my rights as an NYC tenant and I'll do what I need to do. If I have to heat my own apt with heaters, I will be deducting that from my rent. I'm just trying to just move in and then see what happens. I've lived on the street before many moons ago and nothing can be worse than that.

When did I said negative I meant people complaining g about no dishwashers and things that really are not a need for a person. I dunno. Also, this is NY, there is always gonna be some nonsense going on no matter what you pay for your apt. That's a fact
PLEASE REVIEW YOUR LEASE. There is a part you sign where you agree to not withheld any money due to lack of services lmaoooooooo. You won't be able to deduct it from the rent, unfortunately. So you either buy a LOT of blanket or hopefully your apt is on lower end to receiving heat very well. Mine have been working now after i read on how to override it on a tenant forum, the Only difficult part is receiving hot water.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2022, 10:43 AM

51 posts, read 40,248 times
I'm not worried. Laws are laws. You can't have heat below the legal limit or people will go to court. I've rented long enough in NY as a native NYer and no my rights. You can laugh, but you can't freeze people and get away with it. Heat is not a "service" it's a right and obligation of the landlord.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:45 AM

2,862 posts, read 2,398,120 times
Is the heat included in this building or can you adjust it in your own unit?

Old 10-11-2022, 10:47 AM

51 posts, read 40,248 times
Apparently they keep it at "70". Not sure how accurate that is cause I was only there ten minutes to look at it. I felt hot..but I also like cooler temps. So I can't be sure.

Old 10-11-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Apparently they keep it at "70". Not sure how accurate that is cause I was only there ten minutes to look at it. I felt hot..but I also like cooler temps. So I can't be sure.
you dont have a way to control it in your apartment ?

Old 10-11-2022, 01:35 PM

21 posts, read 22,166 times
You can control your own heat

Old 10-11-2022, 03:13 PM

53 posts, read 50,635 times
Quote:
I'm not worried. Laws are laws. You can't have heat below the legal limit or people will go to court. I've rented long enough in NY as a native NYer and no my rights. You can laugh, but you can't freeze people and get away with it. Heat is not a "service" it's a right and obligation of the landlord.
I understand but you are also don't want to be on their 'bad side' and 'complain' all the time or go to court that early into your lease.

If you know its worth the fight, then sure.

For your comment feeling HOT, the hallways are always warm, and toasty but its inside that a bit difficult to regulate. Yes they do keep it at '70' but it feels lower than that but you can override it. the 'how to' is on the tenant forum. However idk if they will give us a 'separate bill' for overriding the limit, that the tenants are still unsure about.

Old 10-11-2022, 03:23 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,837,927 times
Deducting your rent payment your own because you are not happy with something in your apartment will cause your LL bring you to the court & you will get served, I have an example of which not long ago, my friend wasn't happy that the LL didn't fix some leak in her bathroom so flooding was all over & she decided to deduct her rent payment, shortly after that she was served! My friend was born & raised in NYC so yeah she is a NY'er.

If you are not worry about that & you think you have money, time, & energy to fight your LL & you're sure you know the rules & you will win. By all means, do it & we can only wish you all the best!!!

For me personally, I won't do that... But hey-everyone is different!

Old 10-11-2022, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 20,895 times
Which one is the tenant forum! Also I notice the living room and the bedrooms don’t have lights just an outlet, my husband is an electrician can he install lights!

Old 10-11-2022, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvillatoro86 View Post
Which one is the tenant forum! Also I notice the living room and the bedrooms don’t have lights just an outlet, my husband is an electrician can he install lights!
This no light thing is so strange to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery